Sudden loss of power or ability to shift. Manual mode display was blank

:
2015 CX-5 Touring FWD Soul Red
2015 CX-5, 61k miles.

This morning on the tollway, as I slowed down when reaching the tollhouse, I thought I felt as though the car was in neutral. I paid and as I tried to drive off, I had almost no reaction from the car. It felt as if I only had first gear or as if it was in neutral and was just moving forward on momentum.

I switched to manual mode and where there should be a number on the display there was nothing, just blank. I was able to pull over to the shoulder. I put the car in park, then back into automatic drive and I was able to drive off the freeway in a low gear.

I pulled into a parking lot and turned it off for a few minutes. When I turned it back on, I was able to drive away to work, but I didn't go over 40 mph. I was scared it would happen again if I got into a higher gear? Seemed to be shifting fine at those speeds. Haven't checked it out again as I'm still at work.

Anyone have this issue before? Does this sound like a ****** transmission, or something less dire?

Sometimes a failing battery can cause strange electrical issues. How old is your battery?

Also make sure its ground and positive connections are secure. The fact that you shut down and re-energized everything before driving and not having the same issue makes me suspect that an electrical issue is the culprit.

2015 CX-5, 61k miles.

This morning on the tollway, as I slowed down when reaching the tollhouse, I thought I felt as though the car was in neutral. I paid and as I tried to drive off, I had almost no reaction from the car. It felt as if I only had first gear or as if it was in neutral and was just moving forward on momentum.

I switched to manual mode and where there should be a number on the display there was nothing, just blank. I was able to pull over to the shoulder. I put the car in park, then back into automatic drive and I was able to drive off the freeway in a low gear.

I pulled into a parking lot and turned it off for a few minutes. When I turned it back on, I was able to drive away to work, but I didn't go over 40 mph. I was scared it would happen again if I got into a higher gear? Seemed to be shifting fine at those speeds. Haven't checked it out again as I'm still at work.

Anyone have this issue before? Does this sound like a ****** transmission, or something less dire?
When you say your CX-5 was not moving, do you mean the engine itself was not revving up or the engine was revving up but the car was not moving? The tachometer should tell you if the engine revs up or not. If its formal, you may have unknown problem on engine or fuel injection system. If its latter, your transmission is slipping. Go to AutoZone and have them read the error codes for you if any.

Same thing happened to me in my '14 a few years back. Turned it off and then back on and she was good to go. Although it didn't throw a CEL, there was a fault code stored, something to do with trans shift solenoid error or something. Maybe if you have the capability, hook up a scanner and search for a code or bring it to the dealer and have them look at it. Sounds like it's an electronic thing. I had no problem for a few thousand miles after that and then I traded it in. Something definitely electronic or software driven if it was fixed after a restart

Last edited:
Back