New tires. I like em.

drphilwv

:
Mazda CX 9 2017
2017 CX-9. Stock tires are the Falken which were only OK last year in the snow. We have about 20K on the set and they are worn enough that I replaced them. I went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde (I had previously had Scorpion ATs on a Jeep Liberty many moons ago). What a huge difference in ride quality. The stiffer sidewall eliminates that squishy feeling in the corners. I havent been on the interstate yet, but Id imagine they will be a little louder. Ill just turn up the radio. Anyway, I expect Im not the only one unimpressed with the stock rubber!

2017 CX-9. Stock tires are the Falken which were only OK last year in the snow. We have about 20K on the set and they are worn enough that I replaced them. I went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde (I had previously had Scorpion AT*s on a Jeep Liberty many moons ago). What a huge difference in ride quality. The stiffer sidewall eliminates that *squishy* feeling in the corners. I haven*t been on the interstate yet, but I*d imagine they will be a little louder. I*ll just turn up the radio. Anyway, I expect I*m not the only one unimpressed with the stock rubber!

My car came with the Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires, which are supposed to be worse in ride quality compared to the Falkens. While they have been fine for the most part, they are definitely the weak point when it comes to the CX-9's handling. The sidewalls are too soft. They are also apparently a poor snow tire. I've only driven in one mild Calgary winter with these, but the upcoming Winnipeg winter would be the true test. I'm not going to gamble though, Blizzaks are on order.

How many miles have you put on the Scorpion Verdes so far?

It has been now around 12k miles on my cx9, it came with the Bridgestones which i have to say they really are not the ideal tire for the cx9 which excels in handling as chassis and suspension concerns, where the weak point as said before are the tires. . the upside of the bridgestones is a really comfy and soft ride in the highway and city. i also tried the falkens in a friends cx9 and handling is so much better with those tires. The other upside of the bridgestones is that they wear quite well, uniformily and there is no balancing issues at all.

I should be changing the tires at around 20k miles and im looking to fit the cx9 with Michelin, Goodyear f1s or Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, any kind of experience with these tires on the cx9 anyone?

Manufacturers typically put tires on cars that perform well on the test drive.

The tires on our new 4runner lasted about 30k miles. We replaced em with Scorpions about 45k ago and they're still going strong.

On tirerack.com we can use their excellent decision guide. One of the top ranked is Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, much higher ranked than Bridgestone Ectopia H/L 422 Plus. Gotta be careful with the model names, not just the brand names. My choice would probably be the Michelin Premier LTX with its excellent wet braking. Michelin Defender LTX will give longer tread life and give up some traction. Every tire design is a compromise; pick the criteria that best meet your needs. (Note--TireRack only lists brands they sell, not some like Toyo which they don't sell.)
https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

About original equipment tires, they do an excellent job for the criteria the manufacture specifies. That may not be what you or I prefer. A retired tire engineer has put up some very informative web pages about tires. http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

Last edited:
My car came with the Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus tires, which are supposed to be worse in ride quality compared to the Falkens. While they have been fine for the most part, they are definitely the weak point when it comes to the CX-9's handling. The sidewalls are too soft. They are also apparently a poor snow tire. I've only driven in one mild Calgary winter with these, but the upcoming Winnipeg winter would be the true test. I'm not going to gamble though, Blizzaks are on order.

That's why after 8mos of use on the OEMs (Falkens on mine) I replaced them with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires! Way better on snow/ice and rain than Falkens but of course not as great as full winters but I don't like the hassle of the twice a year changeovers so I chose the all-weathers. So far works for me...

I just put the WRG3s on my wifes Nissan Crosscabrio. We havent had snow yet but its coming soon Im sure. Have a couple hundred miles on the Pirellis and love them so far. This weekend headed to NY salmon fishing so will log some more miles.

How many miles have you put on the Scorpion Verdes so far?

That's why after 8mos of use on the OEMs (Falkens on mine) I replaced them with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires! Way better on snow/ice and rain than Falkens but of course not as great as full winters but I don't like the hassle of the twice a year changeovers so I chose the all-weathers. So far works for me...

⋯ Gotta be careful with the model names, not just the brand names.
So true!

Most OE tires are always having short tread life at about 20,000 ~ 30,000 miles with 200 ~ 300 treadwear UTQG rating, even though the exactly same aftermarket tire model carries much higher 600 ~ 800 treadwear UTQG rating with much longer tread life.

Way better on snow/ice and rain than Falkens but of course not as great as full winters

You're in for a surprise. WRG3s are phenomenal tires, every bit as good as a lot of dedicated winter tires. I had them on an old PT Cruiser (my dog car -- gotta love Great Danes) and have their big brother on my CX9: Nokian Hakkapeliittas. I can climb the side of tall buildings.

You're in for a surprise. WRG3s are phenomenal tires, every bit as good as a lot of dedicated winter tires. I had them on an old PT Cruiser (my dog car -- gotta love Great Danes) and have their big brother on my CX9: Nokian Hakkapeliittas. I can climb the side of tall buildings.

Yes I've had experience using the WRG3s as I had those on my prev XC60 and now on the CX9...my company vehicle has the Hakkas during winters...both really good tires!

Back