Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission Fluid

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Transmission Fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Rathfriland View Post
    Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. I will be getting a siphon from Amazon on Wed and I will post the pictures of new fluid, 4th and 5th change as I will siphon out some from the fill hole. I am thinking/hoping that the contents of the 5th change will be almost like new fluid. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.
    Thanks for the update. Looks like your wrong ATF is traditional reddish fluid. I was wondering how did you realize you used the wrong fluid after 60 miles of driving as you didn*t aware even when you*re pouring the red ATF into the transmission? Ever considered to replace the filter cartridge? Lastly my favorite question, did you go from the top by moving away the air box accessing the fill-hole, or did you go from underneath?

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. I will be getting a siphon from Amazon on Wed and I will post the pictures of new fluid, 4th and 5th change as I will siphon out some from the fill hole. I am thinking/hoping that the contents of the 5th change will be almost like new fluid. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.
    Ouch! I imagine that the wife wasn't too happy eh? Did she give you 'the look'?
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Expensive lesson I'd say. ed

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD

Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. If this pic shows up you will see new fluid on the left, fourth change in the middle and fifth on the right. I'm thinking that there is less than 1% of M5 fluid left, at any rate what is is there now is a lot cleaner than what came out with the initial fluid change. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Damn...good looking sample.

I did 3 drain/fills and they never came out that clean. But I am also at 72,000 miles (at the time).

How many miles on your CX-5?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 74k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Registered Member

Bottle on left is new fluid, middle 4th change and right 5th and final change. I thinking it is 99% correct fluid. Car has 40,000 miles and with the initial change it was fairly dark. It is much lighter now almost like new fluid. I will probably change is every 30-40,000 miles and keep samples to monitor change. A bit anal but I am retired and you know how that goes.
    Last edited by Rathfriland; 10-01-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Registered Member

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Bottle on left is new fluid, middle 4th change and right 5th and final change. I thinking it is 99% correct fluid. Car has 40,000 miles and with the initial change it was fairly dark. It is much lighter now almost like new fluid. I will probably change is every 30-40,000 miles and keep samples to monitor change. A bit anal but I am retired and you know how that goes.
    Ah. Thanks for the info, and agreed that that is looking great now.

I likewise will be changing mine every 30-50k miles (not quite sure which) going forward I think. Perhaps on the next one I will drop the pan and replace the filter as well. I wish I had started earlier like you at around 40-50k miles, but ah well.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 10-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

I suppose looking at the silver lining on this, you still came out ahead vs what a dealer would likely have charged for 3 drain and fills!

Registered Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12