Transmission Fluid

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD
I inadvertently put Mazda Genuine Transmission Fluid M5 in instead of FZ does anyone know if this is a problem. Obviously as the transmission hold 8 quarts and I put in 4 of M5 I have a situation where I have 4 of FZ and 4 of M5 in the transmission now. Any ideas?

RIP. I'd drain and flush two more times... that's a pricey fluid change

Yikes, get it out! Id do more than the 2. Id do at least three, maybe four. I think the fourth one should push the amount of FZ well over 90% concentration level. Sorry thats going to suck price wise.

Not sure if theres a way to do it on a CX5, but I know on other cars its possible to suck up new fluid from one bucket and drain the old fluid into another bucket while turning the car over/running it. Wastes a lot less fluid as you arent draining and filling. But again, dont know if thats possible with the design of the CX5.

Ok, looks like its possible but not sure how to share the thread. Saw in another thread here a user suggesting that the heat exchanger be removed (these transmissions dont have inlets and outlets, its cooled by the engine coolant), attaching hoses to the transmission inlet and outlet, and filling with the engine running (sucking new fluid into the inlet and the old fluid coming out of the outlet).

Seems like an extreme move though. Something the dealer might be able to do? Maybe its fine DIY? Good luck!

I inadvertently put Mazda Genuine Transmission Fluid M5 in instead of FZ does anyone know if this is a problem. Obviously as the transmission hold 8 quarts and I put in 4 of M5 I have a situation where I have 4 of FZ and 4 of M5 in the transmission now. Any ideas?
Firstly therere 8.2 quarts in the SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission and you can drain about 3.5~3.8 quarts out depending on the original quantity. So theres more than half of the old FZ fluid in your transmission right now. Its time you should seriously consider the following mod as no matter how many times you do drain-and-fill, youd still have some MS ATF mixed with FZ ATF. If you dont go through flushing process, more than half of the ATF inside of torque converter and valve body can never get drained out. And the design of the AFT cooling system on SkyActiv-Drive transmission without any ATF being sent out for cooling, makes it impossible to do the ATF flush with traditional ATF flushing machine.

ATF flush adapter

If the mod is not feasible for you, you should do at least 3 times of drain-and-fill with correct FZ fluid like ruthrj suggested in the previous post. And if you hate to use RTV silicon making the pan gasket like factory suggested, thetes pan gasket available along with filter cartridge which Id use at the last drain-and-fill in your situation.

ATF Drain/Fill

Thats the one, thanks for finding it for me. Looks involved as far as making an adapter, but doable. Id hate for your transmission to s4!t the bed over transmission fluid. Personally Id give that a shot. I cant help but feel the wrong fluid is a contaminant in the transmission and Id do my best to get it all out.

If you haven't started the engine after you've added the wrong fluid, you're fine. All new fluid will be in the pan. Just drain it and drop the pan to take filter/strainer out and get the fluid out of it too. Fill it up with correct fluid and you're golden.
If you ran the engine, the transmission pump has already mixed everything. Either multiple drain - fill, or adapter. You may be able to stick hoses into transmission in a way that nothing leaks, without adapter, after taking transmission cooler off. Just make someone holding hoses at the transmission really tight. Someone should start and stop the engine at your command, and you watch the buckets, holding hoses there.
Good luck...

OP was supposed to measure the ATF level after the drain-and-fill, and the engine should be running while checking.

OP was supposed to measure the ATF level after the drain-and-fill, and the engine should be running while checking.

No offense to OP, but he was supposed to use FZ fluid (wiggle). Fingers crossed that the car wasn't started, that would be easiest fix going forward (first)

No offense to OP, but he was supposed to use FZ fluid (wiggle). Fingers crossed that the car wasn't started, that would be easiest fix going forward (first)
Yeah, we all hope that is the case.

Don't let the gloom and doom of this thread freak you out. Yes, you screwed up. No, this probably isn't going to have any long-term affect on the trans. Do 2 or 3 drain and fills and call it a day.

How many miles did you go before realizing your mistake?

Hi OP, going to have to do some more drain and fills. Sadly, the fluid will be costly.

Otherwise there is that mod they alluded to above to flush it out.

Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. I will be getting a siphon from Amazon on Wed and I will post the pictures of new fluid, 4th and 5th change as I will siphon out some from the fill hole. I am thinking/hoping that the contents of the 5th change will be almost like new fluid. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.

Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. I will be getting a siphon from Amazon on Wed and I will post the pictures of new fluid, 4th and 5th change as I will siphon out some from the fill hole. I am thinking/hoping that the contents of the 5th change will be almost like new fluid. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.
Thanks for the update. Looks like your wrong ATF is traditional reddish fluid. I was wondering how did you realize you used the wrong fluid after 60 miles of driving as you didn*t aware even when you*re pouring the red ATF into the transmission? Ever considered to replace the filter cartridge? Lastly my favorite question, did you go from the top by moving away the air box accessing the fill-hole, or did you go from underneath?

Ouch! I imagine that the wife wasn't too happy eh? Did she give you 'the look'?

Car was driven 60 miles before I realized it was wrong fluid. Decided only remedy was to change the fluid multiple times. Finally realized what Mazda means by sealed transmission. You can not drain all the fluid from the in/out cooling tubes, they don't exist. So I drained it 5 times. After the 4th time it almost looks like new fluid just a little hazy. I filed small bottles to watch the color transition. There was definitely a red tint in the first 2 but as I said by the fourth is was a hazy blue. If this pic shows up you will see new fluid on the left, fourth change in the middle and fifth on the right. I'm thinking that there is less than 1% of M5 fluid left, at any rate what is is there now is a lot cleaner than what came out with the initial fluid change. Got the fluid from Real Mazda Parts for $10 a quart, a life saver. Delivered in 4 days. Wife couldn't drive it to work. Definitely learnt my lesson.

Damn...good looking sample.

I did 3 drain/fills and they never came out that clean. But I am also at 72,000 miles (at the time).

How many miles on your CX-5?

Back