Power steering and A/C belt keeps riding up pulley?

This IS the pump and pulley from the white '02 parts car...

Ahh OK..

One last thing I can think of is to maybe check for runout on your pulley by carefully holding something against the edge of the pulley at idle.
You might be able to notice a wobble.

One other thing of note is that the crank pulley is two pieces mounted to each other with rubber.

The crank pulley can slip and become loose and possibly run untrue and could even separate and come off.

UPDATE:

Both the dead and the good P/S pulleys have a lower outer rim, which is actually nice as it means the belt slips on and off easily for service, I guess.

Watching the P/S & A/C belt at idle it's tracking very squarely now.
But during this observation I noticed something else and ran a test to verify:
The Blue Lemon has a wobbling crank pulley.
FML.
How much it's wobbling I have not measured: I merely held a long thin piece of metal close to the rim of the crank pulley while the car idled, creeping closer and closer straight inboard until I got a steady ding-ding-ding of the pulley's outermost point clipping my metal at each revolution.

Dammit, Blue Lemon. This car is cursed. Hopefully the crank pulley and snout are OK and not damaged. With luck the same nimrod who screwed up the upper cover (it's crooked and doesn't seat under the valve cover overhang correctly, herp derp) just took an extra huff of paint and didn't put it on straight. If the crank snout is damaged I will probably give up on Protege5s completely and sell everything for parts.

i won't know until I tear into the timing belt & waterpump Saturday, rain or shine. So in the meantime I'm just going to wobble the car to work and back.

~~~

FYI, despite all the trouble it's caused and is continuing to cause, the Blue Lemon does have this one redeeming quality: it is the fastest and most powerful Protege5 I have ever driven.
When I test drove it the seller informed me that it's faster than his red P5 (he had both for sale but the red one is rusty LOL) and I felt right away that it's clearly faster than the white one my wife and I bought in 2002, which itself was faster than the yellow one we test drove first.
It appears bone stock except a Hot Air Intake which makes an awful hissing sound at idle, however there are shiny bolts here and there that make me think the motor has been swapped - possibly a JDM special?

I don't think you could wreck the snout or bend the crankshaft as easily as bending the pulley.

I say don't give up yet !!

All I have to contribute here is............the pulley will most certainly come off without a hydraulic press........have done it twice................

version 1 lightened pulley..........

100_1215.jpg

100_1217.jpg

version 2.................

323f_Ngin.JPG

Original oem pump, both times........and still on there now. WP/ALT/PS & lightened underdrive crank pulley all done and no alignment or belt eating issues. PS pulley can be swapped with manual puller............geez, that hdr and intake are ugly compared to current, lol...............

Nice work!

~~~

Blue Lemon shut off while driving and got another flatbed ride home last night, royally screwing my schedule and budget. No fuel making going to motor, so need to test if power is going to pump. I previously solved a no-fuel by swapping in relay from parts car, so it looks like that issue was band-aided not solved.

I remember Hank3 almost sold his car because it would randomly shut off.
The shop couldn't find anything wrong with the car until they realized the fuel pump relay would only stick when the car was hot.
A new relay fixed his car.

Just in case you weren't aware, there is a terminal in the DLC connector that turns on the fuel pump when it is grounded.
You should be able to hear and feel the relay clicking when the terminal is grounded.

Another picture of the DLC connector... It's under the hood near the fusebox.

(this picture shows the jumper wire for the ABS brakes... Use the F/P terminal.)

Last edited:
Actually, thinking about it some more, it says to turn your ignition switch to on which I believe always turns on the fuel pump anyway.
The jumper wire just makes sure the pump stays on for a pressure test.

You could use the jumper wire to make sure the fuel pump circuit is on while you test for power at the pump.

Last edited:
Back