2018 cx9 Front bumper sticking out ... suggestions?

gocx9123

:
CX9
Hello. I have purchased a low miles- used cx9 touring. The car has been great but after driving I noticed this- one of the drivers front side pieces sticking out. I am not sure if somebody hit it and the bump came out or if this was slightly put in when i bought it and I didnt notice.

Anyways my question is if that can be somehow pushed in or if any warranty work can be done? Pushing it by hand didnt seem to keep it in , obviously. A picture is shown below. Any advice will be helpful.

http://imgur.com/CIhumDB

Hello. I have purchased a low miles- used cx9 touring. The car has been great but after driving I noticed this- one of the drivers front side pieces sticking out. I am not sure if somebody hit it and the bump came out or if this was slightly put in when i bought it and I didnt notice.

Anyways my question is if that can be somehow pushed in or if any warranty work can be done? Pushing it by hand didnt seem to keep it in , obviously. A picture is shown below. Any advice will be helpful.

Had this issue on my 2017 Signature...not sure how it also happened on mine but every time i put it back in after driving on highway it would pop out even more. Had it checked during my last svc appt and they did something (i guess removed bumper, inspected the brackets that held it then put them back in. Svc dept said the brackets were intact so no parts were replaced.

So far so good and hasn't happened ever since.

Had this issue on my 2017 Signature...not sure how it also happened on mine but every time i put it back in after driving on highway it would pop out even more. Had it checked during my last svc appt and they did something (i guess removed bumper, inspected the brackets that held it then put them back in. Svc dept said the brackets were intact so no parts were replaced.

So far so good and hasn't happened ever since.

that is hopeful news..! I will address it on my next appt as well and see what they can do about it!

Hello. I have purchased a low miles- used cx9 touring.

Was the vehicle in a prior collision before you took title? How do you know for sure? Did you check the Facts, DMV and former Insurance Company?

A lot of people don't even bother asking, but when buying a Used Vehicle, there is no law prohibiting you from asking for the insurance company and policy number associated with the vehicle before you buy it as a part of "due diligence" on your part. If the seller balks on that - it might raise my eyebrow depending on the rest of their demonstrated demeanor. If they got insulted at the notion, I'd let somebody else buy the vehicle.

If you bought used from the dealer, then it should come with either its own used vehicle warranty (if applicable). If not, and depending on miles (you said "low") then it could still fit under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty offered by Mazda USA. Regardless of how you buy it, a thorough pre-buy inspection would have been preferred. At this stage, if you have local DIY garage nearby, you can (and should) rack the vehicle yourself (or bring a good mechanic with you) and inspect from under the vehicle to check for panel fitment, alignment, wear and parts status (condition, OEM grade, etc.). You are looking for signs of "auto-body repair work" having been done to the vehicle before you took delivery.

Lastly, these are mass produced vehicles run through a production line. Something is going to go wrong at some point causing irregularity in fitment somewhere along the way and with a certain number of vehicles within each production run. Most of those will be caught by Mazda during QA/QC checks, pulled out, fixed and put back into the regular dealer deliver schedule. Some will slip through, be put on a ship in Japan, land at a dealer in the US and then end up in your garage one way or another - bought new or used. Nature of the beast.

I hope you get this problem "straightened" out - no pun intended. :)

Last edited:
Was the vehicle in a prior collision before you took title? How do you know for sure? Did you check the Facts, DMV and former Insurance Company?

A lot of people don't even bother asking, but when buying a Used Vehicle, there is no law prohibiting you from asking for the insurance company and policy number associated with the vehicle before you buy it as a part of "due diligence" on your part. If the seller balks on that - it might raise my eyebrow depending on the rest of their demonstrated demeanor. If they got insulted at the notion, I'd let somebody else buy the vehicle.

If you bought used from the dealer, then it should come with either its own used vehicle warranty (if applicable). If not, and depending on miles (you said "low") then it could still fit under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty offered by Mazda USA. Regardless of how you buy it, a thorough pre-buy inspection would have been preferred. At this stage, if you have local DIY garage nearby, you can (and should) rack the vehicle yourself (or bring a good mechanic with you) and inspect from under the vehicle to check for panel fitment, alignment, wear and parts status (condition, OEM grade, etc.). You are looking for signs of "auto-body repair work" having been done to the vehicle before you took delivery.

Lastly, these are mass produced vehicles run through a production line. Something is going to go wrong at some point causing irregularity in fitment somewhere along the way and with a certain number of vehicles within each production run. Most of those will be caught by Mazda during QA/QC checks, pulled out, fixed and put back into the regular dealer deliver schedule. Some will slip through, be put on a ship in Japan, land at a dealer in the US and then end up in your garage one way or another - bought new or used. Nature of the beast.

I hope you get this problem "straightened" out - no pun intended. :)

Thanks for the advice! Yes, the vehicle was purchased directly from the dealer, a certified used purchase, which guarantees there weren't any collisions, through carfax. I did check through another vin check site and verified it.

I didn't go through another inspection, because the vehicle itself went through a certified inspection. I understand it didn't erase all risks, but looking at the list of inspection (as I was required to sign), it won't be any more detailed than what a local garage would have went through.
Also, the fact they are willing to add warranty gave me some added security.

As for the bumper issue, this is strange because if you push the bumper in, it is not as noticeable- it is until I drive on high speeds that it pops back out.

I am planning to take the vehicle in for a checkup with regards to this issue pretty soon.

As for the bumper issue, this is strange because if you push the bumper in, it is not as noticeable- it is until I drive on high speeds that it pops back out.

I am planning to take the vehicle in for a checkup with regards to this issue pretty soon.

Good, because it should not "push in" or "pop out" at all. It is probably (hopefully) a small body panel fitment (fasterner) issue. It is quite possible that you are dealing with a Resistance Clip issue given the pic you posted. The rest of the fasteners are probably 10mm, Phillips screws and Rivet Clips. The screws are all going to be down low on the fascia, 10mm fasteners half way up the fascia and rivet clips near the top of the fascia (oriented as installed on the vehicle). All the best with getting this solved. :)

Good, because it should not "push in" or "pop out" at all. It is probably (hopefully) a small body panel fitment (fasterner) issue. It is quite possible that you are dealing with a Resistance Clip issue given the pic you posted. The rest of the fasteners are probably 10mm, Phillips screws and Rivet Clips. The screws are all going to be down low on the fascia, 10mm fasteners half way up the fascia and rivet clips near the top of the fascia (oriented as installed on the vehicle). All the best with getting this solved. :)

Thanks for the in depth information! I will quote this to the service people when I bring it in..!

I had a similar issue with a rear panel on my 2012 GT, which popped out after I reversed into another car. Later on, I was getting repair work done after reversing into a wall in a parking garage (yeah, yeah), the woman at the body shop bumped the panel back with her hip and it has never popped out again. The panels etc. are held on with clips and sometimes they pop out, but you need to know how to pop them back in properly to get them to stay put.

Did you ever figure this out? My 2018 is doing it but worse...

To answer your question- yes, it was due to a broken retainer clip from an unknown minor incident that impacted the bottom portion of the front bumper. Cost to replace and fix is 125 dollars. Two dealerships said this is due to incidentals and won't cover it under warranty.

For the long story version- in short what happened was that the initial dealership that I bought this car from made this sound like its no big deal and "made the repairs". A few months later, same thing started happening again.
I took this to a different dealer- turns out this was not a warranty issue, rather it is a broken retainer clip due to an incident before that wasn't caught by the certified dealer in my purchase. The initial dealership in their repair- turns out what they did was put a bunch of epoxy glue on it and hoped it would stick.

What is even more infuriating was that getting a new retainer clip in fact did the work, and cost only 125 dollars. Now most would say its expensive, but considering how others were considering replacing the entire bumper, this was such a relatively inexpensive fix that I have NO IDEA why the initial dealership didn't fess up to it and make the repair instead of doing a lousy glue job.

I have all evidence and am planning to put a complaint to corporate or something, as I am pretty sure the initial dealership (3.5 hours away from me) will not even take my calls, or make up some BS excuse as to why they didn't pick it up.

To answer your question- yes, it was due to a broken retainer clip from an unknown minor incident that impacted the bottom portion of the front bumper. Cost to replace and fix is 125 dollars. Two dealerships said this is due to incidentals and won't cover it under warranty.

For the long story version- in short what happened was that the initial dealership that I bought this car from made this sound like its no big deal and "made the repairs". A few months later, same thing started happening again.
I took this to a different dealer- turns out this was not a warranty issue, rather it is a broken retainer clip due to an incident before that wasn't caught by the certified dealer in my purchase. The initial dealership in their repair- turns out what they did was put a bunch of epoxy glue on it and hoped it would stick.

What is even more infuriating was that getting a new retainer clip in fact did the work, and cost only 125 dollars. Now most would say its expensive, but considering how others were considering replacing the entire bumper, this was such a relatively inexpensive fix that I have NO IDEA why the initial dealership didn't fess up to it and make the repair instead of doing a lousy glue job.

I have all evidence and am planning to put a complaint to corporate or something, as I am pretty sure the initial dealership (3.5 hours away from me) will not even take my calls, or make up some BS excuse as to why they didn't pick it up.

Ridiculous. The initial dealership could have just called you when they found the issue and told you what your options were (pay $125 and fix the clip or epoxy it for free) so you could make an informed decision. I call that being lazy for laziness' sake.

Back