Considering 2018 CX5 Grand Touring Lease

elle

:
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
Hi, all. I came here to find out what owners think after having their 2018 for a while. I'm not a huge "performance" person. I am more into the tech and features, honestly. I'm looking to replace my 2018 RAV4 Limited that was totaled in an accident last week (not my fault). It was a good car, but I didn't love the interior and it was lacking a few options that the CX5 has like digital speedometer, heated steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, de-icing wipers (can you tell I live in the snowbelt?). So I have a few questions:

1. What is the performance like on snow and icy roads (AWD not FWD)?
2. Does the tire pressure sensor show which tire is low? Please say yes. I have never been more annoyed to find out that it can't tell me which damn tire so I have to check them all in the snow or rain!
3. How annoying is the knob that controls the media system (as opposed to a normal touchscreen)? I have short arms so it might be better than reaching for the touchscreen, but I'm afraid this would become a deal-breaker for me... in fact, the entire display looks really dated, is it?
4. What do you think of the remote start that works through a phone app? Anything I should know such as range, etc?
5. Do you like/use heads-up display? Any annoyances? It seemed kind of dim during the test drive. i'm not sure i could see it if the road was white and snowy!
6. Do you have the cargo cover? It seems cool that it hooks to the liftgate... is it cool or weird and annoying?
7. Tell me about the all-weather floor mats that you can add-on. They look pretty crappy compared to the high-walled weather tech liners. Are they worth it or should I just get the weather techs separately? Same question about the cargo mat.
8. How are the headlights? They were pretty powerful on the RAV4 and I never felt like they were dim or didn't reach far enough. Are the ones on the CX5 pretty good?
9. What else annoys you about the car or is missing that you really wish you had?

Ok, that was more than a few questions, but they're things I can't really find out from a 15 minute test drive! Thank you!!!

1. stellar
  2. sorry, no
  3. it's wonderful
  4. [no data]
  5. not just like, but LOVE
  6. no
  7. [no data]
  8. the best I've ever used. get the ones that turn the corners with you!
  9. more power!

Just do it!

1. Amazing - it feels like you are driving on dry pavement
2. Unfortunately no, sorry.
3. The commander knob is the most intuitive system I've ever used. I don't use the touch screen myself. (Truth be told I forgot it was a touch screen until I typed this out) While the infotainment system isn't top notch, it is adequate for my needs. Only complaint is that it is a little slow to start up.
4. Don't use the remote start through the app. I would encourage you to purchase the dongle.
5. The heads up display was a MUST HAVE for me. You can adjust its brightness in settings along with its position. I can't recommend it enough.
6. While I don't have it, I can see the appeal for those who want to protect their cargo. Personally I like to keep the cargo area is open as possible so I can put more things in the back
7. The all weather floor mats are another MUST HAVE. Especially in snowy conditions. I bought them from the dealer and love them. I'd take a hard pass on the cargo net - it bolts to the floor and can't be used vertically.
8. Best in the class. They are bright, turn with you, and never have a visibility problem.
9. As long as you make peace that this is not a sports car, you'll be happy with the power. It is a good compromise with fuel economy vs. get up and go. Even with that said, I wouldn't mind just a tiny bit more power. (Sports mode does help though)

Hi, all. I came here to find out what owners think after having their 2018 for a while. I'm not a huge "performance" person. I am more into the tech and features, honestly. I'm looking to replace my 2018 RAV4 Limited that was totaled in an accident last week (not my fault). It was a good car, but I didn't love the interior and it was lacking a few options that the CX5 has like digital speedometer, heated steering wheel, rain sensing wipers, de-icing wipers (can you tell I live in the snowbelt?). So I have a few questions:

1. What is the performance like on snow and icy roads (AWD not FWD)?
2. Does the tire pressure sensor show which tire is low? Please say yes. I have never been more annoyed to find out that it can't tell me which damn tire so I have to check them all in the snow or rain!
3. How annoying is the knob that controls the media system (as opposed to a normal touchscreen)? I have short arms so it might be better than reaching for the touchscreen, but I'm afraid this would become a deal-breaker for me... in fact, the entire display looks really dated, is it?
4. What do you think of the remote start that works through a phone app? Anything I should know such as range, etc?
5. Do you like/use heads-up display? Any annoyances? It seemed kind of dim during the test drive. i'm not sure i could see it if the road was white and snowy!
6. Do you have the cargo cover? It seems cool that it hooks to the liftgate... is it cool or weird and annoying?
7. Tell me about the all-weather floor mats that you can add-on. They look pretty crappy compared to the high-walled weather tech liners. Are they worth it or should I just get the weather techs separately? Same question about the cargo mat.
8. How are the headlights? They were pretty powerful on the RAV4 and I never felt like they were dim or didn't reach far enough. Are the ones on the CX5 pretty good?
9. What else annoys you about the car or is missing that you really wish you had?

Ok, that was more than a few questions, but they're things I can't really find out from a 15 minute test drive! Thank you!!!

I don't have a CX-5, but I'll speak on some of the features that the 9 and 5 share:

AWD is good, but not best in class. If your car only sees pavement, its good enough!
TPMS doesn't identify which tire is low.
Commander knob will take some getting used to, but I personally love it. Feels more natural to use and its less distracting than a touchscreen once you're familiar with the menu
Remote start (all kinds) is overrated (IMO).
HUD is very nice to have. You can set the brightness manually or have it dim/brighten automatically (it uses the ambient light to determine when to dim the display). If you can't see it because you're driving through fresh snow, you still have the instrument cluster..
Cargo cover doesn't attach to the liftgate on the 9, but I wish it did. Would make loading/unloading a lot easier.
Unless you can get the premium all weather mats from a Canadian source, get Weathertech, Maxliner, or Maxpider mats. OEM cargo mat is nice, I'm sure Weathertech's is nicer though.
Get the Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) LED headlights if you can. https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-mazda-cx-5-lights-the-way-to-top-safety-pick-plus-1420700819979/

1. Fantastic. I was very surprised by how good it was last winter. Hello Rochester. Cleveland here. 7eregrine knows winter. Go back in time on this forum to last winter and see all the threads praising it. :D

3. Annoying? Why would you think it's annoying? It's awesome. Hmmm who else has a knob in the Center? BMW... and Audi. That's pretty good company, no? And after having a knob in my car? I will never have a car without it. Yes... it's that good.

4. Read the reviews in the app store. This is universally panned as being a poor design that is annoying to use. Go with an aftermarket remote start. Many dealers will offer to have someone do it for you before you pick up the car. Mine did as did another friend with a 6 (different dealers).

6. What is with you and the word annoying? lol Why would this be annoying? It's not. It's not 'cool' either. It just works. It's nice that is also easily detaches when you have bigger stuff to haul.

7. The Mazda ones are good but IMO aftermarket ones re better. I have Mazdas and wish I'd have gotten someone else.

8. The LED headlights on this car are incredible. I have a 16 and had to pay for the "tech package" to get them. Pretty much all I wanted from that package.

9. If you say ANNOY one more time! :D hehehe j/k Y'know what I wish I had as a 16 owner?!?! A HUD. Yes... it is that cool.

1) It works. Wouldn't consider not having it no matter where I lived.

2) No.

3) I like it. It's actually simplistic to me...

4) It's garbage, plus has an annual fee attached. No thanks... Seek aftermarket if this is a must have item for you.

5) It works.

6) Sure don't.

7) The OEM cargo mat is the best one out there IMO. The pockets work great, along with the fit. I have the OEM all weather floor mats, and I know there are better aftermarket options out there, but they were freebies, so they'll suffice...

8) The lights are the #1 compliment I get, at night anyways. Probably some of the best on the market out there, 6 figure car status easily...

9) More power, but the ole 2.5 works and performs well for what it is, an economical gas saver...

I ll chime in - the rain sensing wipers I used in a rental 3 were bad. I actually turned it off.
Others have commented on 1 to 8, so I will chime in #9:
Stock tires suck. They are great performance wise but rarely last beyond 25-30K miles. Its good for some but its something that has left a negative mark for me.
Overall build quality has been hit or miss. My sun visors rattle - there were new buyers for 2017 who had the dash wood trim pop out. There have been issues with gear selector switches, electric parking brake, rear brakes wearing fast, transmission failures, windshield stress failures and few other areas. So I am still keeping fingers crossed.
The Gen 2 is heavier and does 0-60 in 8.6, 16 does it in 7.8 - and my experience with 16 is its tuned for city / mixed driving. A heavier 17 can be a deal breaker - mostly for people in TX / NM where you can easily see 80-85 mph posted speed.
If I am getting a gen 2 - either CX5 or Mazda6 - lighter wheels and cold air intake would seem like a sensible solution for the lack of power without voiding warranty.

But coming from a Rav4 you should be happy. Heck a Kia Rondo is better than current 2018 Rav4.

I ll chime in - the rain sensing wipers I used in a rental 3 were bad. I actually turned it off.
Others have commented on 1 to 8, so I will chime in #9:
Stock tires suck. They are great performance wise but rarely last beyond 25-30K miles. Its good for some but its something that has left a negative mark for me.
Overall build quality has been hit or miss. My sun visors rattle - there were new buyers for 2017 who had the dash wood trim pop out. There have been issues with gear selector switches, electric parking brake, rear brakes wearing fast, transmission failures, windshield stress failures and few other areas. So I am still keeping fingers crossed.
The Gen 2 is heavier and does 0-60 in 8.6, 16 does it in 7.8 - and my experience with 16 is its tuned for city / mixed driving. A heavier 17 can be a deal breaker - mostly for people in TX / NM where you can easily see 80-85 mph posted speed.
If I am getting a gen 2 - either CX5 or Mazda6 - lighter wheels and cold air intake would seem like a sensible solution for the lack of power without voiding warranty.

But coming from a Rav4 you should be happy. Heck a Kia Rondo is better than current 2018 Rav4.

100% agree with this regarding the power of the gen 2. Going into our 2017 GT, we knew we were going to change out the wheels and tires right away to something more aesthetically pleasing and lighter in weight. Our new wheel tire combination saves 7 lbs per corner and made the CX5 more responsive. The engine also loosens up after about 7K miles and has more pep. Still could use more, but it's plenty fine for our needs.

Wheel/tire pic:
20180916_150524_HDR.jpg

I didn't realize how many times I used the word annoying... I must be easily annoyed by cars, I guess LOL. Thank you for your responses, VERY helpful!

Last edited:
One final thing Nationwide search for used 2017 or newer CUV search on Auto trader:
685 Rav4s
29 CRVs
1 CX5

I predicted that Gen 2 will retain value like hell. I'm right. Superb news for Mazda in general.

1. Okay.
2. Not fitted.
3. Once you are familiar with it it's okay.
4. Not fitted.
5. The HUD is brilliant.
6. The cargo cover is good.
7. I have regular mats in the front and the mat with fold over flap in the cargo area.
8. The headlights are excellent.
9. I'm at the 6 month mark and nothing is annoying me and I haven't had any problems.

The awd is excellent except it lacks locking capability so it sucks on inclines compared to vehicles which allow low speed locking.

I wont answer every question but here goes;

Awd is fantastic. The HUD is something that once you have it you dont want to go without.

Most everything else is just things you have to get used to like every other vehicle. If you are getting the Grand Touring, the premium package option really fills out the vehicle and in my opinion its necessary. Otherwise step down a trim level.

Knob is quite easy to use - no complaints here. Display is good except I wish I could see radio station when I'm using nav.

Works great and love the netted area that allows me to talk to passengers while loading cargo.

Dealer gave me a choice of OEM cargo mat or cargo net. The cargo net is great for keeping things from sliding around.

Headlights are great and turn when the vehicle turns.

ApplePlay

Back