Piano black surface scratches

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
I'm looking at some used 2nd-gen CX-9's and notice some have scratches and swirls on the piano black surfaces, especially around the gear shift. Are those able to be fixed somehow?

Looks like that would work with some effort. Probably best to just to be careful around that area so it doesn't scratch in the first place.

Looks like that would work with some effort. Probably best to just to be careful around that area so it doesn't scratch in the first place.

No matter how careful you are... those piano black pieces around the shifter and on the door panels WILL GET SCRATCHED.

The best way to maintain it is NOT to wipe the surface with a microfibre cloth when it is dirty/dusty as it'll just scratch for sure. I maintain it by using those gel-like gooey cleaners (used on computer keyboards/laptops) that pick up the dirt/dust when you pat on the surface then once dust free wipe or buff it off with a clean microfibre cloth...another way is to use those compressed air cans to blow off dust....the real trick is to never wipe the surface when dirty

No matter how careful you are... those piano black pieces around the shifter and on the door panels WILL GET SCRATCHED.

They get scratched just from looking at them. There is no way to clean them without causing new scratches. Is unavoidable.

They get scratched just from looking at them. There is no way to clean them without causing new scratches. Is unavoidable.

This ^^^. I've been SO careful after brushing up against it and left swirls behind. But as careful as I've been, I haven't found a way to remove any dust or smudge without leaving scratches. (bang)

I'm looking at some used 2nd-gen CX-9's and notice some have scratches and swirls on the piano black surfaces, especially around the gear shift. Are those able to be fixed somehow?

It is one of the most annoying things about the CX-9 interior design, IMO. And, there is no work-around for this. No matter what you do, these are chemically treated plastic parts that should never have been used in this particular vehicle because they have no durability constant whatsoever. If you dare look at these parts long and hard enough while frowning and scowling, they will scratch. If you yell at them loud enough, they will scratch. If you curse or swear at them, they will scratch. If you say anything about their Mother or Father giving birth to them, they will scratch. If you insult them in the slightest, they will scratch - just to piss you off. If they even think that you are about to insult them in the slightest, they will scratch.

This is what I plan to do or have done to my Signature as soon as I get time to research a good installation facility:

Bye Bye black piano!

It is one of the most annoying things about the CX-9 interior design, IMO. And, there is no work-around for this. No matter what you do, these are chemically treated plastic parts that should never have been used in this particular vehicle because they have no durability constant whatsoever. If you dare look at these parts long and hard enough while frowning and scowling, they will scratch. If you yell at them loud enough, they will scratch. If you curse or swear at them, they will scratch. If you say anything about their Mother or Father giving birth to them, they will scratch. If you insult them in the slightest, they will scratch - just to piss you off. If they even think that you are about to insult them in the slightest, they will scratch.

LOL. I've done (almost) all of these. :D

LOL. I've done (almost) all of these. :D

Sexy. Can I see a pic or two? I'm chomping at the bit to get an idea of what I'm in for! :)

Oh, wait. I just realized you are not taking about the Carbon Fiber Wrap job. You were replying to my frustrated humor. Good on you!) Yeah, I've given up on the piano black. Just can't keep it looking decent.

The best way to maintain it is NOT to wipe the surface with a microfibre cloth when it is dirty/dusty as it'll just scratch for sure. I maintain it by using those gel-like gooey cleaners (used on computer keyboards/laptops) that pick up the dirt/dust when you pat on the surface then once dust free wipe or buff it off with a clean microfibre cloth...another way is to use those compressed air cans to blow off dust....the real trick is to never wipe the surface when dirty

I agree, I bought a couple of packages of those gooey gel cleaners and use them to get the dust off of all areas. I think I paid like $2-3 CAD for each package, haven't had to use the second one yet. If you clean the area once a week or whenever you notice it getting dirty, you won't get any "caked on" bits like I have in my video. I had to wipe those off with a microfiber (which caused a few tiny scratches). The rest of the scratches are from my wife, lol. Piano black is nice, but as soon as you put something over it to protect it (like a clear vinyl), it looks cheap. Either cover it up with a trim kit or be meticulous with cleaning it using the gel stuff.

Great! Now, I'll just get my 5 year old nephew to detail my Signature for me! They will love coming over to spend time with "Uncle" now. Of course, when they leave, I'll be right back in the same boat cleaning up the residue they leave behind from their sticky hands and all the candy they ate while rolling gel around the Piano! :O

Great! Now, I'll just get my 5 year old nephew to detail my Signature for me! They will love coming over to spend time with "Uncle" now. Of course, when they leave, I'll be right back in the same boat cleaning up the residue they leave behind from their sticky hands and all the candy they ate while rolling gel around the Piano! :O

Say what you want, it works.

\_( ' v ' )_/

Back