Jumping then stalls

2003 Mazda protege 5
Last week I was parked getting ready to come home and the car stalled, I didnt think much of it because it idles rough so I continued on my way home and the check engine light started flashing and then went into limp mode and stalled again so I parked for about 20 minutes and with two more stales I made it home. I googled it and saw people saying spark plugs or coil packs/wires and I replaced the spark plugs, also replaced the mass air flow sensor about 2 weeks ago in attempt to fix bad idle, it didnt, now that spark plugs are replaced it idles great with no check engine light... until it warms up and then starts rumbling and stales. So now what? Coil packs and wires? Thanks for any input

You need to get a scanner and read those codes. Could be so many different things.

... now that spark plugs are replaced it idles great with no check engine light... until it warms up and then starts rumbling and stales...

If you disconnected your battery to replace those parts, the car loses it's memory and has to relearn how to idle the car.
It takes about 100 miles with many attempts by the ECU to figure it out.

My car runs like crap after I disconnect the battery and almost stalls.

Give it some time and the ECU might figure it out.

If you disconnected your battery to replace those parts, the car loses it's memory and has to relearn how to idle the car.
It takes about 100 miles with many attempts by the ECU to figure it out.

My car runs like crap after I disconnect the battery and almost stalls.

Give it some time and the ECU might figure it out.

Correct. Again if you have an OBDII scanner you can check to see if all the OBDII checks have completed or if some are still pending. If they are still pending then your ECU is trying to do all the checks and tune your car for its condition.

You can speed this up by running the Mazda Drive Cycle.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759295-Found-a-successful-Drive-Cycle-formula!

I usually run Mode 1 after clearing the codes since that is pretty easy.
One of my cars will complete these checks in 50 miles, another takes almost 500. So, it can vary wildly.

Last edited:
Im sure the codes are still there but the car shuts off as soon as its at operating temperatures therefore it cant be driven for the ECU to relearn idle.

I sold it... The new owner replaced the following: both cats, valve seals, a coil, and a tune up.

Back