Jumping then stalls

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
2003 Mazda protege 5
Last week I was parked getting ready to come home and the car stalled, I didnt think much of it because it idles rough so I continued on my way home and the check engine light started flashing and then went into limp mode and stalled again so I parked for about 20 minutes and with two more stales I made it home. I googled it and saw people saying spark plugs or coil packs/wires and I replaced the spark plugs, also replaced the mass air flow sensor about 2 weeks ago in attempt to fix bad idle, it didnt, now that spark plugs are replaced it idles great with no check engine light... until it warms up and then starts rumbling and stales. So now what? Coil packs and wires? Thanks for any input

You could have a dirty/sticking IAC.

The ECU runs the car until it reaches normal operating temperature then it hands over idle control to the IAC.

If your car starts running crappy only after it warms up, that's kinda pointing to the IAC.

Our EGR is a problem source too but that might not wait till the car warms up.

Last edited:
I cant find anything on the IAC. Gabe, how did you clean the EGR valve and did you reuse the metal gasket?

Thank you for the link, didnt think to check the forum (whoops) will try to clean iac tomorrow if not next weekend. Thanks again

If you mean the screwdriver, you should be able to find something at a local store but online might be cheaper.

They want about $12 for a single screwdriver or even just the bit that goes in a socket.

If you can wait for delivery, online should be cheaper.

I think you need a #2 size for our IAC but I'm not sure.

I don't even have any JIS screwdrivers myself so I decided to get a set of bits.

Havent had the chance to attempt cleaning the IAC. But Im still have trouble locating it, I see something in the area it should be but it has tamper proof torx screws not philips looking screws. Is there any way you could take a picture of the location?

I'll try to get a picture after class. Do you have a CEL though? Mine ended up being way off timing. I was throwing a P0340, which is a camshaft position sensor code. Took it to a shop and it was way off

Thank you. Weird thing is its had a couple codes for a while, some would come and go but there was always one. I cant recall what they were but when I changed the spark plugs a couple weeks ago the CEL went away. However I havent scanned it to see if theres still codes just not the light

I took a few pictures...

There are tamper proof torx screws on it as well but underneath and to the side is where the JIS (Philips ) screws are that you remove to get it out.

I'm not sure if the tamper proof screws need to come out to clean it ??

I decided to try to remove some screws on my IAC from my parts car to test my new bits.
I stripped one because I was using the smallest bit (oops) then tried the #2 JIS and it removed the screw quite easily.
I did hammer on the extension to seat the bit and I hot glued the bit into the socket so I don't drop my new bit.

I'm sure the proper bit helps a lot.

If you strip the screw head, you probably have to remove the intake.

If you do strip a screw, you can cut a notch in it with a rotary tool (dremel) with a cutoff wheel, and use a flathead screwdriver in the slot.

Back