Theft deterrent System

You don't need an alarm on this car. Car companies with 3% market share don't get stolen. ;)

Was it Anchorman who had one of his CX-5's stolen?

Anyway, I largely agree an alarm serves little purpose. Thieves don't care, and most of us ignore them when we hear them.

I actually disagree with that. If I hear one I look for it if it's close.
But ... I don't ever hear any. [emoji2]

I actually disagree with that. If I hear one I look for it if it's close.
But ... I don't ever hear any. [emoji2]

I do the same. I haven't really caught anyone breaking into a car. Usually it is triggered by the car's owner (usually an older guy/woman) who messed something up while trying to get into their car. Sometimes I would see them inside their car while the horns are blaring and they would take their time trying to figure out how to turn the alarm off haha.

Can anyone advise how, on the 2018 CX 5 GT, to trip the theft deterrent system? ...

Try this:

Shut off engine.
Open driver's window enough to get your arm in (can be done before shutting off engine if you like).
Exit vehicle.
Shut door.
Lock vehicle with key fob or button on door handle.
Walk away for a minute (might not be necessary).
Now manually unlock driver's door by sticking your arm in the window.
Open door.

On my 2016 GT, a "secondary" horn sounds. I say secondary because it's not as loud as the regular horn and seems to be installed in the rear.

It would be interesting to know if this has changed for 2017/2018.

Try this:

Shut off engine.
Open driver's window enough to get your arm in (can be done before shutting off engine if you like).
Exit vehicle.
Shut door.
Lock vehicle with key fob or button on door handle.
Walk away for a minute (might not be necessary).
Now manually unlock driver's door by sticking your arm in the window.
Open door.

On my 2016 GT, a "secondary" horn sounds. I say secondary because it's not as loud as the regular horn and seems to be installed in the rear.

It would be interesting to know if this has changed for 2017/2018.

I just tried it on our 2018 GT CX5 and nothing..nada...quiet as a church mouse, so I guess that feature was removed for '17/'18!

this reminds me... I did a DIY install of car alarm + motion sensor on 2001 BMW 325i way back then.
Dealer did a courtesy activation for me. So I only paid for the mail ordered parts.

Anyway, opening the door from inside after locking the car and not hearing any alarm sounds Awakening.

I just tried it on our 2018 GT CX5 and nothing..nada...quiet as a church mouse, so I guess that feature was removed for '17/'18!

Hmm... Sounds like aftermarket/maybe dealer installed. He's in Canada too - there are often regional feature differences.

The BBBL (Bright Blinking Blue Light) on 2018 CX-5 GT

Hmm... Sounds like aftermarket/maybe dealer installed. He's in Canada too - there are often regional feature differences.
Speaking of a dealer installed alarm; the beeping horn when locking and unlocking is disturbing the peace, so reading few posts here and there, I was able to disable that feature.
Now the bright blue blinking light remains (pretty annoying) and the question I have is;

1- any drain on the battery from that bbbl? I was able to unplug the wires from the bottom of the module (where the bbbl is located) and the blinking stopped, the question is: Is the alarm disabled since no horns will not sound? and did the drain on the battery stop?

Last edited:
The blinking security light is deceiving. All this time I thought I had a security system because my old car did, with the blinking light. My old car came standard with one. If the door was opened without using the fob the car would emit a high pitched siren.

There is no standard "break-in" or "unauthorized-entry" alarm on our CX-5's (at least in the US market). The flashing light in the instrument cluster is for the immobilizer system (no key-fob, no start). It was the same for my 2017 CX-3, for which I called Mazda personally to check. The rep confirmed there was NO factory entry alarm on any model. The CX-5 is obviously the same.

You don't need an alarm on this car. Car companies with 3% market share don't get stolen. ;)

A few years back my brother's gen-1 RX-7 was stolen from the mall parking lot where he worked at the time. What was left of the car was found a few weeks later. Literally everything which could be removed from the car was, doors, hood, seats, engine, wheels. It looked like a picked clean animal carcass.

Back