Liftage proximity lock

:
CX-9
A very annoying thing with my 2016 CX-9: proximity lock works great, as long as the last thing closed is one of the doors. If the last thing closed is the liftgate, the car never locks. Is there any way around this?

A very annoying thing with my 2016 CX-9: proximity lock works great, as long as the last thing closed is one of the doors. If the last thing closed is the liftgate, the car never locks. Is there any way around this?

Pulled from the 2016 Owner's Manual:

"(Auto-lock function)
A beep sound is heard when all doors and the liftgate are closed while the advanced key is being carried. All doors and the liftgate are locked automatically after about three seconds when the advanced key is out of the operational range. Also, the hazard warning lights flash once. (Even if the driver is in the operational range, all doors and the liftgate are locked automatically after about 30 seconds.) If you are out of the operational range before the doors and the liftgate are completely closed or another key is left in the vehicle, the auto-lock function will not work. Always make sure that all doors and the liftgate are closed and locked before leaving the vehicle. The auto-lock function does not close the power windows."

You have to wait by the vehicle for the liftgate to close completely before stepping out of the auto lock range. If that's what you're doing, and the auto lock still doesn't work, try contacting your dealer to have a service tech figure out what the issue is.

Edit: Tested the function on my 2018, works as described in the manual.

Last edited:
Back