What is this pad?

doughboy52

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD Sky Blue
Does anyone have an idea what this pad is? It dropped out from the car when I removed the shrouding underneath to drain transmission fluid. Measures about 3" x 6" and is about 1/4" thick, filled with what looks like fiberglass. I don't remember seeing it anywhere under the hood. My only thought is the shop dropped it from somewhere when they were diagnosing an emissions CEL. Some sort of heat shield seems likely, as some have pointed out.

pad.jpg

Last edited:
Just did 3 transmission drain/fills myself. I don't recognize that at all.

Hopefully someone isn't using your CX-5 as a mule to transport drugs. Check under your rear seats for an AK-47 or something LOL :)

Hopefully someone isn't using your CX-5 as a mule to transport drugs. Check under your rear seats for an AK-47 or something LOL :)

Heh, my wife is the primary driver of the car, so I don't know what's going on with it most of the time!

I took it to the parts department, who went into the shop and asked the master mechanic on shift. Apparently it's some sort of heat shield from the catalytic converter and they've seen them fall out during oil changes and other work on CX-5s. Said not to worry about it (dunno) Odd that Mazda put something on that isn't attached firmly and that their master mechanics think isn't completely necessary.

Back