2016 - Replacement Engine

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GS
I will try and keep this story short but include the details. Mentioned this in the AA/CP thread and couple of posters thought it might deserve its own thread. I will preface this by saying that I love my CX-5 and the 3 I had before it. Also really enjoy the experience with my dealership in the past and through this annoying situation (has a good ending though...I think). I am in Canada so all of this is through Mazda Canada. My vehicle has 137,000kms (about 85,00 miles)

Took my CX-5 to the dealership about 3.5 weeks ago because the engine light came on suddenly on the way to taking the kids to daycare and work one morning. They are very accommodating and not far from my office which allows me to leave the vehicle there all day until they can squeeze in my services and issues like this. Got picked up form work and taken to the dealership end of work day to pick up the vehicle. Service told me that the code that came up was not recognized by their computer and then it disappeared?? We all thought this was strange but I was told they "re-set" it and would not charge me for the evaluation. No harm no foul and I left the dealership to head home.

Fast forward 1.5 weeks ago to the engine light coming back on in the middle of the day. Called the service center and they couldn't fit me in on Friday as they were totally booked. We agreed that this could be the same issue as before and we (me and the dealership) will get to it next week. Now this part of the adventure is on me as I could not make it to the dealer for the rest of the week due to other circumstances. Now on the Friday of that week I am driving home after playing in a golf tournament in my fathers memory (tough day already) and when I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed that some warm air was blowing out the sides of the vents. It was truly weird to feel fairly cold air in the middle and much warmer air on the sides. First thought was I may need to replace the compressor for the A/C...so was starting to get a bit annoyed cause it was a hot day. I get on the highway and hit my cruising speed of 110km/hr and am about 2kms from the on-ramp when a tiny red temperature light comes on and the vehicle begins to chime. Then suddenly a message pops up on the Infotainment screen - "Please pull vehicle over to safe place - Engine Coolant Temperature extremely high" (I can't remember the exact phrasing but it alluded to the fact I was going to turn into a burning, rolling, sparkling mass of liquid metal if I didn't get the hell off the highway. Obviously I pulled over and called my expired road side assistance....the rest of this part is that the vehicle got towed to the dealership at 4:00pm on a Friday...

They gave me a loaner and said they would be in touch on Monday with what might be wrong. Now I am not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes...so I was fixated on the fact that my car was out of warranty (3 years unlimited mileage). The service manager called finally and said they had it on the hoist and was trying to decide if it needed a new engine. Wow, just wow was I enraged at that point thinking I would have to shell out 5-6k for a new engine for a 3.5 year old car!! Was told they would call me back soon to let me know. I need to preface this a bit that I was in meetings all day and had really no time to step out for calls but I did. The desk service guy called an hour or so later and told me they can't believe this but they are calling Mazda Canada to try an get approval for a new engine. He said he had never seen this in his 18 years at Mazda (not sure about that one). I was floored with my mind spiralling etc about how we would pay for this and he causally said "good thing you have 5 year Powertrain warranty". I barely muttered back "yeah good thing". WTF.

So this long silly post ends with me waiting to get a new engine in a car with 85,000 Miles on it under warranty. Now the question most people have asked me is what the hell happened to it. Wish I was a better car guy but I remember hearing "cracked head or blown cylinder". Please excuse my ignorance as my mind was whirling and I cant change a tire. I'll up date this post when I get all the details. My service buddy is supposed to send me a picture of the engine in the crate. I guess they call them crate's or something in the biz.

My experience has been great so far. I'll update the post with any new developments.

Last edited:
Cool. It might derail on a work order what the problem with the original motor was.

Not to rain on your parade, but hopefully you have all the maintenance records to prove that you kept it maintained.
Dealers like nothing more than to void your warranty if they think you didn't do your regular oil changes, etc. Anything to get you to pay for the new engine.
I wish you luck.
Keep us posted.

It sounds like the OP has serviced the car at that particular dealership all the time, so the records should be there. Canadian powertrain warranty is indeed 5yrs, unlimited mileage. 3yrs is bumper -to-bumper. They are going to get you the new engine, and the car will be ready to go. Relax, and don't over-think it.
As for the cause, often when the coolant hose leaks or plastic tank cracks, it causes coolant loss significant enough to overheat the engine, blow the head gasket, warp the head, etc. I'd be curious if anything had been done to the coolant system before.
Please come back with the cause and the damage info that the dealer provides you with.

Not to rain on your parade, but hopefully you have all the maintenance records to prove that you kept it maintained.
Dealers like nothing more than to void your warranty if they think you didn't do your regular oil changes, etc. Anything to get you to pay for the new engine.
I wish you luck.
Keep us posted.

It was dealer maintained. All records up to date and in good standing.

It sounds like the OP has serviced the car at that particular dealership all the time, so the records should be there. Canadian powertrain warranty is indeed 5yrs, unlimited mileage. 3yrs is bumper -to-bumper. They are going to get you the new engine, and the car will be ready to go. Relax, and don't over-think it.
As for the cause, often when the coolant hose leaks or plastic tank cracks, it causes coolant loss significant enough to overheat the engine, blow the head gasket, warp the head, etc. I'd be curious if anything had been done to the coolant system before.
Please come back with the cause and the damage info that the dealer provides you with.

I will certainly update the post. Again my dealership has been excellent through this entire experience. Just wanted to post my story to let others know.

I would ask them what they mean by new engine. Totally new from the factory or salvage engine (although there's probably nothing wrong with a salvage engine).
My wife had a salvage engine put in her Maxima and it was fine.

I would ask them what they mean by new engine. Totally new from the factory or salvage engine (although there's probably nothing wrong with a salvage engine).
It's under powertrain warranty, and the engine is replaced by Mazda Canada. The replacement engine should be a factory rebuild unless they run out of the inventory and have to get a brand new one.

Somehow the engine is overheated and cracked the cylinder head?

Typically a dealer doing factory warranty work only uses OEM new parts (at least in the US) because of warranty stipulations

Back