White Pearl Paint Query Initiated With Mazda USA Irvine California

Stinks that you got a bad paint job. Yes, Mazda should fix under warranty. However, try not to blanket Mazda as a company that can't paint cars in your campaign against them. There's almost no other instance of new Mazda's having paint issues. My CX-9 is flawless up front after a year. Best paint I've ever seen.

OP: It really shouldnt surprise you that Mazda isnt bending over backwards for a single owner who is raging over the paint chips. You need a quorum of owners to convince Mazda, or anyone else, that this is a widespread quality control issue. So youre wasting your time here. Recommend using Facebook or Twitter to establish a community of interest. Id try to recruit soul red owners too.

The XC-90 is a nice ride but keep in mind that Mazda's have less problems than Volvo's. Both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power has Volvo towards the bottom of the industry, and the XC-90 is the least reliable Volvo. Mazda is above average reliability. Perhaps Volvo's service will be better, just know you'll be at the dealer a lot more often.

The XC-90 is a nice ride but keep in mind that Mazda's have less problems than Volvo's. Both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power has Volvo towards the bottom of the industry, and the XC-90 is the least reliable Volvo. Mazda is above average reliability. Perhaps Volvo's service will be better, just know you'll be at the dealer a lot more often.
Yep, we've had a number of Volvos as lease vehicles in our company over the years and most of them have had issues. So much so that we no longer lease from Volvo. They are beautiful, safe and comfortable but nowhere near trouble free. I wish you luck in finding what you're looking for.

Yep, we've had a number of Volvos as lease vehicles in our company over the years and most of them have had issues. So much so that we no longer lease from Volvo. They are beautiful, safe and comfortable but nowhere near trouble free. I wish you luck in finding what you're looking for.

True. Those cars are amazing machines packed with technology but after warranty runs out, they will become nightmare to maintain and fix.

I know the OP is burned by Mazda but I don't think it is wise to take such a loss (depreciation of value) to trade it in. You are probably financially better to shell out that $1k to repaint the bumper, and do an entire vehicle expel wrap + ceramic coat. Mazda already took your money and by getting rid of the car now is not going to change anything except drain your bank account. Just my .02

So again, in a single line or two, what is the evidence that refutes the finding that the damage was found to be "external"?

Thank you for posting pics. Change of heart here as well. I agree, each individual chip looks much worse than I was expecting. While you have the same amount of chips in the same general areas I do, yours look much bigger and more substantial. That is definitely out of the ordinary. It does appear that your paint is somehow softer than mine and many others on this board.

I wouldn't go as far as painting the entirety of Mazda with a brush colored by your experience with Jesse, though. Maybe if you had dealt with another Mazda rep, the outcome may have been different. In addition, the next CX-9 may not have the same soft paint you have on yours (though I can understand wanting a different car after this experience). I hope the XC90 works out for you - I had briefly considered the XC90 in Momentum trim, but was talked out of it by a few of my mechanic friends who say that they've seen a lot of Volvos (old and new) come through the shop.

WP posted photos of some of the chips in Page 2 of this thread (linking for reference).

To a degree, it makes sense that Mazda wouldn't cover rock chips. But rock chips don't look like that on my 2018.. this does appear to go beyond what a standard rock chip looks like. The ones on mine do not go down to the metal (can't say anything about the bumper as it is protected by PPF).

Good luck with Volvo. As you can find a problem with every manufacturer I had my own nightmare with a Volvo S-80. Their "flagship" at the time. It had a resounding clunk from the subframe that they tried multiple times to remedy. Finallty declared it 'normal for this vehicle', meaning they can't fix it so it's normal. I was not even close to alone and Volvo could not have cared less in the long run. At some point they'll all throw in the towel and say 'screw it'. Just they way it is....

I respect and agree with everything you have written. Very nice job in putting it all in writing.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what a H&K USP 9 FS is. Could be a toaster for all I know.
Regardless of what it is, it doesn't lessen the impact of good Customer Service and dedication to Customer Satisfaction.
I've been in the service business my whole life, and have seen both sides of the business. Bad Customers and bad Companies.
I don't suffer poor service gladly, and over the years I have self boycotted many Companies due to poor after sales service.
As an example, one such Company is Honda. I refuse to ever do business with them.
Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences on this forum, and for your patience with some of the members on here.
I appreciate your forthrightness.
Good luck.

Thanks for being understanding, Buzz. I appreciate your insight, actual real world experience (sorry to hear about your Honda woes) in such matters and for having a level of consciousness and awareness of the problem. Some people here behave like they are never going to have a serious problem with a new vehicle they worked hard to purchase. If you buy new vehicles long enough, something is going to happen that requires an ethical manufacturer to solve without causing you serious grief in the process.

Buy new long enough and over the years you will run into the law of averages and end up with a "new" vehicle that does not perform as claimed by the manufacturer. When (not if) that happens, you will need a manufacturer who will fully (100%) stand behind their product an support you like they truly respect your decision to buy from them and not their direct competition. Mazda, failed that test and it did so miserably in my case.

Its a numbers game and when your number comes up (and it will), you must have a manufacturer with Integrity. Bottom line. Else, you get hosed after spending tens of thousands or more. It is unfortunate that too many people around here don't understand the statistical reality of the game they are playing and how their moment of total frustration and anger is just lurking around the corner on one of their future 'new vehicle' purchases. I don't wish it on anybody - but if you by new long enough, it will happen.

So, thank you for seeing the bigger picture here.

OP: It really shouldn*t surprise you that Mazda isn*t bending over backwards for a single owner who is raging over the paint chips. You need a quorum of owners to convince Mazda, or anyone else, that this is a widespread quality control issue. So you*re wasting your time here. Recommend using Facebook or Twitter to establish a community of interest. I*d try to recruit soul red owners too.

I am surprised, in fact. I'm angry at Mazda, but I'm also angry at myself - which fuels the anger even more. I'm angry at Mazda for obvious reasons - they are unethical. But, I'm angry at myself because I thought I took the necessary time to do enough homework in determining Mazda's Character as a Company. I thought I was selecting a good SUV (which it is outside of materials defects that Mazda could solve if it true cared) and a good Company. I got half of it right. The CX-9 Signature is a wonderful SUV. However, it has issues and those issues are easily fixed by Mazda. The problem is obvious - Mazda simply does not care.

I've just finished reading about Soul Red Customers thanks to another User of this forum (Thank You!). Soul Red Owners have been dealing with this problem since 2016! I should have payed more attention to that fact. I allowed the physical attraction of the CX-9 Signature override my better judgement. Something inside me suggested that Mazda's handling of Soul Red could become a problem for me in another dimension of my experience with Mazda, but I ignored that sixth sense inside me. That's why I'm frustrated with myself. Internally, I knew this could happen and it did.

So, I'm pissed but slowly getting beyond it. Could have Mazda summonsed into court by dropping the value of damages below unlimited jurisdiction Superior Court limits and force Mazda into the Defendants position in Small Claims and then claim all the way up to $10,000 (damages and loss of revenue) with a high degree of probability for winning at least 50% of that - based on the requirement of proof to a preponderance of evidence alone. In fact, not having access to the Discovery Process under the rules of evidence and court procedure in Small Claims would actually be a strategic advantage to me and a distinct disadvantage to Mazda - since the only "evidence" Mazda has in its possession are the digital camera photos it took while I was at the Dealer. Seeing exactly how those photos were taken, I know that my photos would show and present far better in a Small Claims courtroom. Furthermore, the proximity dates between when the damages began showing up on my vehicle and the stipulated date of the Mazda Limited Warranty covering this particular aspect of the vehicle, would/should warrant some leniency from the Bench (the judge has no doubt purchased a new vehicle before and could have had issues with it slightly beyond the Limited Warranty Period).

I could make an example out of Mazda, if I wanted to - complete with public facing Website covering (like a 24hr news channel) every single aspect of what Mazda has done. I could use a creative URL that potential new Mazda buyers would necessarily use when entering a search query in their browser. I could use SEO to make sure that the site gets as many hits as possible and that new prospective Mazda buyers fully understand what they are getting into. I could show up at Auto Shows and park in front of Mazda's display while educating perspective buyers on Mazda Corporate Ethics. However, all of this takes time that I don't have.

I'm going to chalk this up as life experience and move on - simply because I have bigger fish to fry. Mazda, on the other hand will suffer the consequences of its unethical behavior by losing a lifetime flagship customer and guaranteeing a lifetime of negative word of mouth from that former lifetime flagship customer - every change I get in society while going about my daily routine. So, I'm going to keep this vehicle and then USE IT as a marketing tool to help educate perspective new Mazda buyers whenever and wherever I am asked about my CX-9.

Does this problem appear to only be with the White and Red colors and the other colors are generally fine? And of those White and Red ones, was it the entire line that was painted incorrectly, or was there a certain percentage of vehicles that were painted improperly and the rest are fine?

Last edited:

Forbes Customer Satisfaction puts the Volvo XC-90 at the top of the list, surpassing even Toyota. That't not easy. Consumer Reports and JD Power are known shills and extended marketing arms for certain manufacturers. I start with IIHS Crash Safety Ratings and move on from there - that's my first research point (excluding sports cars). There, Volvo as a company invented the art of Crash Safety and then extended the Science of Crash Safety. Others attempt to mimic Volvo in this regard. I called myself saving $30k - $35k by going with Mazda and waiting two years for them to work out the bugs after a new redesign. This is about both the Vehicle and the Company who produces it. I'm ok with the CX-9 Signature. However, I'm not ok with a manufacturer lying to me that way Mazda has, and then not doing what's necessary to satisfy one of its customers who just spent $45k on a "flagship" product that is failing to perform as implied by Mazda.

As far as Volvo being the least reliable. A 3,000,000 mile Volvo and a real Mechanics Opinion about Volvo Maintenance:

A 327,000 mile vehicle running like a "brand new car." Give me a good reliable Mechanic and his/her real world experience with a vehicle within their specialty and I'll accept that over JD Power and CR any day of the week. The XC-90 transmission he's talking about is the older generation XC-90, not the current generation.

Same Mechanic on Mazda:

So, he does not knock either Volvo or Mazda. Says they are both reliable. This is my point. I'd rather have a reliable vehicle from a company that is Ethical, than a great vehicle from a company that Lies to my face while running and hiding when problems do eventually come up. Love the CX-9. Can't trust Mazda when/if something goes wrong. It is the complete opposite when you study Volvo. Volvo Customer Satisfaction is among the highest in the world right now. That is a sign of a company that treats its Customers fairly, or at least tries to on purpose. Mazda, does not do this. Mazda goes out of its way to jerk you around and deny problem that it created.

True. Those cars are amazing machines packed with technology but after warranty runs out, they will become nightmare to maintain and fix.

I suspect the SkyActive DRIVE transmission with its newly designed dual clutch will be a pain to fix as well once the warranty runs out. My brakes went less than 5,000 miles before popping when shifting from Park to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive and then applying the brakes for the first time after the shift. Brake Pop and Transmission Lug in the newly designed CX-9 are both known issues by Mazda. Yet, once again, Mazda refuses to acknowledge it has a problem until matters reach the point of Class Action.

I know the OP is burned by Mazda but I don't think it is wise to take such a loss (depreciation of value) to trade it in. You are probably financially better to shell out that $1k to repaint the bumper, and do an entire vehicle expel wrap + ceramic coat. Mazda already took your money and by getting rid of the car now is not going to change anything except drain your bank account. Just my .02

Precisely what we decided to do at the dinner table last night. We are also seriously considering a carbon fiber accept wrap, then reducing its role to beater status as we select a new XC-90, Q7, Q5, X5, Stelvio, LX 570, Velar or even a 4Runner Limited (wide price range among those SUVs). At this point, we're searching for an Ethical Manufacturer. That's really the Number #1 function right now and seemingly a very difficult task.

We'll eat this one. But, it is going to cost Mazda a lot more than it costs us in the long run because I won't allow a good friend or family member to ever trust Mazda in the future. So, yeah. This will cost us an extra $1,000 - but has already cost Mazda at least $45k from the second CX-9 Signature that I will now never make. And, it is my intention to raise that figure as high as I can by helping to educate others on why trusting Mazda is more than likely going to be a huge mistake in their life that they very well might live to deeply regret.

Thank you for posting pics. Change of heart here as well. I agree, each individual chip looks much worse than I was expecting.

Oh, that's nothing. Just wait until I post pics of the Front Fascia. It is worse.

While you have the same amount of chips in the same general areas I do, yours look much bigger and more substantial.

Wait until you see the actual bumper. Those were shot taken of the Hood and Left/Right Front Quarter Panels. There was only one pic at the end that was from the left side of the front bumper. That pic shows the Carbon Fiber sample in the frame. You can see the black plastic from the bumper substrate very easily. These vehicles are supposed to have layers of Clear Coat, layers of Paint and at least one or two layers of Primer, before the plastic bumper substrate. With penetration this deep, you should see those layers - yet you don't! It looks like Mazda, tried to reduce materials cost by skimping on the amount of material used in the layering process. Or, they rushed the layering process and did not allow sufficient drying time between layers. Or, the drying time was sufficient but the environmental controls inside the facility were not properly controlled for temperature, humidity, etc., and thus, the material never cured properly. I have no idea what took place. I just know that my White Pearl is Flaky, Too Soft and it Amalgamates upon impact. That's not normal.

Chipping is not Flaking and Amalgamation is a clear sign of being too soft. You want and need the paint to flex when the vehicle moves. But, you don't want it so much flex that it amalgamates on impact. Its almost like it undergoes some kind of 'state change' when it get hit by small particles. That's just bizarre. Its like exploding paint! Trick paint, even. Hit the paint with a small particle and it sublimates. Mazda, should not apply paint to its vehicles that sublimates with particle impacts from normal driving.

I wouldn't go as far as painting the entirety of Mazda with a brush colored by your experience with Jesse, though. Maybe if you had dealt with another Mazda rep, the outcome may have been different.

There is no way for any customer to know in advance who to talk to at Mazda USA. Maurice, did not solve the problem. In fact, he inflamed the problem by leading me to believe that Mazda was going to take care of the problem without looking for me to further finance their solution. When I asked to escalate the case with someone at Mazda USA, Maurice, handed me over to his Supervisor, Jesse. They set the table and then they cut the legs out from under me intentionally. They know the issues. They set the appointment with a dealer within their own network to identify and verify my claim. They took their own pictures as evidence of the claim. They knew full well what they were planning before they waited nearly a month to cal me back with lies.

So, based on this string of events that Mazda could have corrected at any time along the way, I have a hard time seeing this is not being systemic behavior from Mazda. A real corporate culture of lying and deceit. Don't get me wrong - Mazda puts on a really good looking Public Face. A very innocent and trustworthy Public Image is what the cast to the world via a fine Marketing Campaign and plenty of good Public Relations staged events. But, let something serious go wrong with your brand new Mazda and suddenly, their true colors are shown in private. No honest company that truly cares about its reputation would behave like this.

In addition, the next CX-9 may not have the same soft paint you have on yours (though I can understand wanting a different car after this experience). I hope the XC90 works out for you - I had briefly considered the XC90 in Momentum trim, but was talked out of it by a few of my mechanic friends who say that they've seen a lot of Volvos (old and new) come through the shop.

You are right. They are all mechanical devices at the end of the day and subject to fail. I'm ok with that and in fact, I expect it. What I'm not ok with is a manufacturer that lies to me over the period of nearly a fully month and one that refuses to accept full responsibility for not delivering that which they claimed was ready for street use. Paint that does this 3-days after taking delivery and extends that same poor performance for 8 full months, is not paint that should have ever been put into production.

And, that's my point. Mazda, should have done what was necessary to put paint into production that actually meets the implied contract it has with its customers - to be fit for the purpose for which it is intended. This paint is not fit for that purpose, because it fails routinely under normal operating conditions. All I asked Mazda to do was accept that failure as its own and fix the problem by repainting the bumper. It lied to me, told me that it was going to take care of the problem and then at the last minute, informed me that I would need to pay 50% the cost of solving a problem that Mazda created.

So, at the end of the day, I can handle problems that come up in a vehicle because at some point they will all have them. What I cannot tolerate is corporate culture that lies to customers and that lies about the physical evidence that they admit is indeed a problem and then not standing behind their product long enough to fix the physical problem to an acceptable standard of repair. I just want a Company that will do the right thing. That's what I'm hunting for right now. A good company.

In this day and age, are there any Auto Manufacturers out there with Integrity. That really seems to be the elephant in the room. The mechanical issues aside - where are the Manufacturers that won't lie to you, manipulate evidence, pretend evidence of their failure does not exist and that will stand behind their product when something goes wrong.

Does this problem appear to only be with the White and Red colors and the other colors are generally fine? And of those White and Red ones, was it the entire line that was painted incorrectly, or was there a certain percentage of vehicles that were painted improperly and the rest are fine?

Soul Reds have been having issues ever since the color was offered by Mazda. The White Pearl is the same way - I've found posts going back to 2016. So, these are longer standing issues than even I first knew when I began looking into this problem. I've seen a few posts about Black and the Darker Gray color. I've not seen much on the Blue or Lighter Gray. Don't know (yet, I'm going to find out) if Mazda does its own paint formulations, or if it uses a formulated paint supplier. The paint could be fine and the in-house application process could be the problem. I just don't know at this early stage.

I think I have the same brake pop issue you mention lol plus brake squeal...

I got rid of the squeal with cleaning during my last oil change and tire rotation. But, the Pop at parking lot speeds after shifting into and out of Park, Drive and Reverse is actually getting louder with time. I took it to the same dealer who took pictures of the paint on the front bumper. That same dealer who said the damage to the front bumper was caused by "external" sources and thus not the concern of Mazda, was the exact same dealer who also said the brake popping sound was "normal" and was the result of the design of the "Brake Shims."

This "explanation" from the Mazda Dealership could in fact be true, given some brake pad designs these days. I'll know more after I get more life out of the OEM pads and replace both pads and rotors with quality a aftermarket kit from StopTech. If the pop goes away after that, it would more than likely have been the OEM pad/rotor combination. If not, it will most likely be the OEM Caliper design causing the problem.

Problem is also there with the machine grey metallic.....which I have on my 2017 Mazda 6 GT.
It is coming up to a year old, only has 11,500 Kms on it (about 7,000 miles),
is driven mostly by my wife to do her errands and see her aging mother, and all in a typical suburban environment.
It has multiple tiny chips and specks in the hood, fenders and facia. Exactly like white pearls' CX-9. No idea how they are getting there.
Mazda has a paint problem, plain and simple.
I've mentioned this about my 6 before, and am not happy about it.
I was planning to keep this car for many years, at last 10, but have already decided that I'll keep it for no longer than 5 years, and then sell/trade it.

Back