2018 Brand new CX-5 Coolant Leak

elmatador

:
2018 CX-5
Hi Guys

I picked up my new CX-5 about three weeks ago. I never opened up the hood when I received the vehicle. Last night i smelled a sweet smell in the cabin and decided to check the engine bay. I noticed quite a bit of dry coolant spray near the radiator fan and hoses. Also I was able to see a lot of dry coolant in the engine bay at the bottom plastic cover. The temperature guage has been at center point (100degC) and hasn't increased beyond that which is good. The coolant level is slightly above the L mark when the engine is warm. I couldnt see any visual wet spots. All coolant spray spots was dry so its difficult to tell the source.

Has anyone experienced this? This vehicle only has 600kms on it. I will book an appointment on Monday. Really disappointed. I owned a new Mazda 626 in the late 90s and it had an ongoing issue with the coolant reservoir.

Hopefully it isnt anything major. I have been keeping a close eye on the temperature guage.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

From my personal experience by checking several brand new CX-5's at my Mazdd dealership, low engine coolant level from factory is a norm. The coolant level won't be at the "F" mark of the reservoir, but in between "F" and "L" marks. In your situation it looks like broken hoses or leaking radiator seems to be the culprit. The other possible scenario is the tech spilled the coolant during the top-off for new car inspection. Hopefully the latter is the case on your brand new 2018 CX-5.

Checked my coolant level this morning with a cold engine and its about half an inch below the Low Level mark

From my personal experience by checking several brand new CX-5's at my Mazdd dealership, low engine coolant level from factory is a norm. The coolant level won't be at the "F" mark of the reservoir, but in between "F" and "L" marks. In your situation it looks like broken hoses or leaking radiator seems to be the culprit. The other possible scenario is the tech spilled the coolant during the top-off for new car inspection. Hopefully the latter is the case on your brand new 2018 CX-5.

Thanks for your feedback. Hopefully it isnt major.

Not checking on what the dealer did, or didn't do, under your hood is not a good idea. You should never completely trust a dealer to do what they should have done, or what they say they have done, without verifying it for yourself. Check fluids, check the air pressure in the tires, check everything that you can check.

Relying on others to do it for you can lead to problems...

Yes for sure. Lesson learned for me. I should have checked things at pick up. I do normally visually check fluid levels at regular intervals. I would have never thought of having such an issue with such low kms. Nevertheless, this issue is unacceptable for a new vehicle.

I dropped it off this morning. Will update the thread on their findings.

Yes for sure. Lesson learned for me. I should have checked things at pick up. I do normally visually check fluid levels at regular intervals. I would have never thought of having such an issue with such low kms. Nevertheless, this issue is unacceptable for a new vehicle.

I dropped it off this morning. Will update the thread on their findings.

I think that is the best plan. I had a colleague that purchased a brand new VW Passat about 10 years ago that would spark coolant through the defroster and air vents. Had to lemon law the car.

Back