What did you pay for your CX-9?

Looking at 2019 - GT models. Preferably built after July 2019. More and more discounts coming online I see from Mazda (factory) - Definitely going to use carcostcanada.ca for the breakdown. Just trying to wait as long as I can before #1 comes along (March due date) and I don't need to worry about winter tires over Dec/Jan/Feb (if possible).

Also trying to document all the discounts right now to track and compare them month to month.

How did you negotiate from the dealer invoice price? Basically invoice price + 2%? or less? Curious, thanks!

Your only enemy could be running out of the particular trim/colour and options that you are looking for when the inventory runs really low esp when the 2020s really come in. My suggestion when you start negotiating would be to not accept any of the offer the dealer gives you right away - sort of playing hard to get that way they will sweeten the deal when it gets down to crunch time. Negotiate when they have a lot more 2020s on the lot that way they will be forced to get rid of the 2019s and do it at last wk of month when they are trying to reach their quota.

As for carcost Cda when you sign up it will ask for your location and it will pass on your info to the participating nearest dealer and they will contact you. When they do again play hard to get and also reach out to all other Mazda dealers in your area and get the best pricing/deal from each so you can use the best deal as leverage. Depending on the trim but a Gt or Sig usually the dealer makes higher margins (8-9%) so an acceptable margin for them is around the 3% where they still make money but enough to cover their costs. Of course they will try to dance around and try to get higher. Project an attitude where you are prepared to walk away from any deal if not pleased. Lastly do not fall for any options/extras they will offer you like paint protection, rust inhibitor, undercoating please, etc if you really want these just get them from elsewhere as dealers rip you off on these not so necessary items. Any accessories you add (mud guards, cargo mats, all weather rubber mats, remote start, etc) always ask for them to be added at cost - not their dealer price (marked up at least 15-20%!). Good luck on your hunting!

They switched to new LED headlights in July for the GT and Signature trims, and they perform MUCH better than the old LED headlights. You can compare the differences in performance here: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/mazda/cx-9-4-door-suv/2019#headlights

Interesting. It's a pretty significant increase in output, with what seems to be a minor increase in glare. Open each attached file in it's own tab and flip between them to compare, or see below.

Before July 2019.
attachment.php

After June 2019.
attachment.php

I drive a 2018 so I have the not-so-great headlamps, but to be honest I've never felt that they were inadequate. Nice to see Mazda make the improvement regardless.

Attachments

• beforeJuly2019.JPG
    beforeJuly2019.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 501
  • afterJune2019.JPG
    afterJune2019.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 506
Interesting. It's a pretty significant increase in output, with what seems to be a minor increase in glare. Open each attached file in it's own tab and flip between them to compare, or see below.

Before July 2019.
attachment.php

After June 2019.
attachment.php

I drive a 2018 so I have the not-so-great headlamps, but to be honest I've never felt that they were inadequate. Nice to see Mazda make the improvement regardless.

Wow, thanks for sharing this! It IS nice to see Mazda improve on things even though it wasn't a significant issue.

I also have 2018 and I feel the lights are really good too. Definitely an upgrade to all of the past vehicles I have driven...some of which had LEDs.

My only (minor) complaint would be the fog lights. They might be useful during thick fog if you could turn them on without turning on the headlights, but you can't. The fogs are not very useful otherwise because they basically do not add any light to the headlight pattern (that is visible from the driver's seat anyway).

Wow, thanks for sharing this! It IS nice to see Mazda improve on things even though it wasn't a significant issue.

I also have 2018 and I feel the lights are really good too. Definitely an upgrade to all of the past vehicles I have driven...some of which had LEDs.

My only (minor) complaint would be the fog lights. They might be useful during thick fog if you could turn them on without turning on the headlights, but you can't. The fogs are not very useful otherwise because they basically do not add any light to the headlight pattern (that is visible from the driver's seat anyway).

No worries, I just took screenshots of the images and uploaded them from the IIHS link that gtg465x provided (thanks for that, btw).

Agree about the LED fogs. They are purely cosmetic on the CX-9. They should either be more powerful, or have a wider throw to better illuminate the left and right sides in front of the driver.

I doubt about the output differences between high and low beams for both before and after Jul 19 built batches.
Many projection headlights in late Mazda vehicles use single bulb. Switching between high and low is very simple by flipping shutter in headlight housing.
With one light source, high beams are very similar for before/after Jul 19 built but it's different with low beam. It is just not right to me.

Last edited:
I doubt about the output differences between high and low beams for both before and after Jul 19 built batches.
Many projection headlights in late Mazda vehicles use single bulb. Switching between high and low is very simple by flipping shutter in headlight housing.
With one light source, high beams are the same for before/after Jul 19 built but it's different with low beam. It is just not right to me.

If you read the link that gtg465x posted, it explains how they came to these results and I believe they also explain their testing method. If you really want to understand (instead of just assuming that it's BS), visit that link.

If you read the link that gtg465x posted, it explains how they came to these results and I believe they also explain their testing method. If you really want to understand (instead of just assuming that it's BS), visit that link.

I believe you haven't got a chance to test with your own eyes but just believe it. It's just BS too!

I believe you haven't got a chance to test with your own eyes but just believe it. It's just BS too!

I believe that you might be ignorant enough to make assumptions about things you know nothing about.

I did not say that you were wrong in your opinion. You said the output differences don't seem right to you. I referred to the link and stated that they explain their testing method and criteria. You could go to that link, read up, and form a more educated opinion other than "it's just BS".

If you're so sure that it's BS, I would challenge you to explain why, or disprove the IIHS' findings by identifying flaws in their test methodology.

In the meantime, I'll take the results from the IIHS over your "feeling".

EDIT: You should also consider that maybe the improvement did not come from your assumption that the light output (wattage or lumens) increased, leading to the improvement in low beam performance. It's quite possible that the low beam shield was simply modified to improve low beam performance. A shield modification actually makes more sense since an increase in glare was reported.

Last edited:
With one light source, high beams are very similar for before/after Jul 19 built but it's different with low beam. It is just not right to me.

The part number for the headlight assemblies has changed a number of times during production of the second generation. I don't know when the latest change occurred, though. Someone with more access to the Mazda parts system could figure out when the latest revision was to see if it explains the performance change.

My guess is that they changed the parts to get a better score on the test, and just slipstreamed it into production without waiting for a model year change. If that is true, anyone with the old parts can upgrade for ~$2000.

I talked to Mazda customer care about the headlight issue and the guy had no clue about IIHS ratings. He looked at those rating while I was on the phone. He told me that me mazda may have changed the vendor for the headlight post June 2019 built but that he would never come to know as that info never comes to them. I also called parts to ask them if they had different part numbers for headlight built pre and post Jun 2019- the guy did not know !
I took my 2019 April built CX-9 to service and asked them to check if it needed any adjustments on headlights- they did some adjustment by moving them up a little bit. I see some difference - they do project out a bit further - you don't want to blind anyone with these lights . Headlights do a very good job of illuminating anyways.
Is it possible the vehicle that IIHS tested needed headlight adjustment as the graph suggests they don't project further out ??

I believe that you might be ignorant enough to make assumptions about things you know nothing about.

I did not say that you were wrong in your opinion. You said the output differences don't seem right to you. I referred to the link and stated that they explain their testing method and criteria. You could go to that link, read up, and form a more educated opinion other than "it's just BS".

If you're so sure that it's BS, I would challenge you to explain why, or disprove the IIHS' findings by identifying flaws in their test methodology.

In the meantime, I'll take the results from the IIHS over your "feeling".

EDIT: You should also consider that maybe the improvement did not come from your assumption that the light output (wattage or lumens) increased, leading to the improvement in low beam performance. It's quite possible that the low beam shield was simply modified to improve low beam performance. A shield modification actually makes more sense since an increase in glare was reported.

I don't have time to do a BS challenge to Mr. Know It All. It's just stupid to tell people know nothing.

Is it possible the vehicle that IIHS tested needed headlight adjustment as the graph suggests they don't project further out ??

I would think that this is a definite possibility. I haven't had mine adjusted because they never seemed to be an issue to me, but I'll look into this and report if mine also need adjustment. If so, the improved rating from the IIHS could simply be from properly adjusted headlights.

I did a bit of research and, at least according to mazdaparts.org, the control module and headlamp assembly part numbers are the same between 2018 and 2019 models. When the 2020 models are released and the parts catalog is updated, we will know for sure if there were any actual part number changes.

I talked to Mazda customer care about the headlight issue and the guy had no clue about IIHS ratings. He looked at those rating while I was on the phone. He told me that me mazda may have changed the vendor for the headlight post June 2019 built but that he would never come to know as that info never comes to them. I also called parts to ask them if they had different part numbers for headlight built pre and post Jun 2019- the guy did not know !
I took my 2019 April built CX-9 to service and asked them to check if it needed any adjustments on headlights- they did some adjustment by moving them up a little bit. I see some difference - they do project out a bit further - you don't want to blind anyone with these lights . Headlights do a very good job of illuminating anyways.

I might pay a visit to the stealership for headlight adjustment too. My better half, who drives the CX-9 more than I do, has noticed that the headlights seem to be focused downward and was asking if I can adjust it. I, myself, don't have an issue with it, but I'll bring the vehicle in to have it adjusted.

Hi all, picked up a '19 Touring AWD w/premium package over the weekend for a smidge over $30k total out the door.

Would personally have much preferred a CX-5 GT Reserve, but need to be able to fit 3 car seats.

Hi all, picked up a '19 Touring AWD w/premium package over the weekend for a smidge over $30k total out the door.

Would personally have much preferred a CX-5 GT Reserve, but need to be able to fit 3 car seats.

Congrats -that seems to be excellent pricing with taxes and fees for a new car. I guess dealers have started to off load 2019s now at a great price.

Last edited:

Hi Reticent would you mind to share the price for your CX-9? Could you break down the original asking price and how much discount did you get and the selling price excluding the sales tax? Thank you.

Also, if anyone can share the selling price your recent purchase on your new CX-9 Touring w/Premium package? Thank you.

Hi Reticent would you mind to share the price for your CX-9? Could you break down the original asking price and how much discount did you get and the selling price excluding the sales tax? Thank you.

Also, if anyone can share the selling price your recent purchase on your new CX-9 Touring w/Premium package? Thank you.

You can look at cargurus.com for pricing info. looking at those prices for touring with premium package, good price could be estimated at 33.5 - 34K + TTL which would include 2K cash back

You can look at cargurus.com for pricing info. looking at those prices for touring with premium package, good price could be estimated at 33.5 - 34K + TTL which would include 2K cash back

Yeah, I don't have the exact numbers in front of me- but basically I got my dealer to undercut the $33.5k-ish offer on a similar CX-9 at another regional dealer, then negotiated my trade in up to to about $3k more than its honest value (okay- that's not technically part of the "price" on my CX-9, but it was money out of their pocket not mine). I think they mostly went with it because I agreed to use their lender, and I'm local enough that they know they'll get my service business. Lender didn't matter so much to me because the rate was fair and I'll have it paid off in a year regardless.

Back