Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second Gen (2017 and up) CX-5 AA/ACP Installation Videos

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Bugzee View Post
    So to clarify - you guys are doing your own Mazda updates to the infotainment software?
    Yes, you have to if you are updating the hardware. If you don't do it first, it can't be done after the hardware has been detected - that has been communicated any way.

2017 Mazda CX5 GT - Premium

Thank you very much for the video!! Following your steps, I was able to get AA working on a 17 CX5

Dealer was charging 395+tax for install.
    Parts are $199.90 (one dealer has it for 168 + shipping) Link -> https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/o...-kit-00008fz34

CX5

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin628 View Post
    I've created some videos documenting the process to install the necessary parts for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay in the second generation CX-5. The first video shows taking apart the interior, routing the cables and installing the new aux hub. Second video shows the process of putting all the trim back together. Do realize that version 70 of the firmware needs to be installed prior to installation of any new hardware. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/GYEaddWnbiQ

https://youtu.be/8choSrR3f-M
    What all tools did you need for this? The instructions pdf lists torque wrench, ratchet, socket wrench, phillips and flat head screwdriver but all I could tell in your video was screwdriver and ratchet. Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get halfway through taking everything apart.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with PP

You're correct. Philips head screwdriver and a wratchet with an extension to reach the bolts. A trim removal tool set would be a good thing to have on hand but definitely not required.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhojos14 View Post
    What all tools did you need for this? The instructions pdf lists torque wrench, ratchet, socket wrench, phillips and flat head screwdriver but all I could tell in your video was screwdriver and ratchet. Just want to make sure I have everything I need before I get halfway through taking everything apart.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by rhojos14 View Post
    You need trim removal tools for prying, socket wrench, Phillips screw driver. Torque wrench is a maybe as it only applies to 2 bolts on the head unit, and it is easy enough to tighten those down without a torque wrench (not really a safety or performance issue in my opinion). The PDF is accurate. I don't remember needing a flat head, but if they call for it, then maybe you do. They may have it wrapped in tape for a few things.

It really is as simple as it looks to disassemble. Snaking the wire around the shifter and up to radio area is the most work. Also, I spent time tying things off as recommended as I don't want to go back in later to fix a rattle.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin628 View Post
    You're correct. Philips head screwdriver and a wratchet with an extension to reach the bolts. A trim removal tool set would be a good thing to have on hand but definitely not required.
    Awesome! Thanks! Planning on doing this next weekend.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD + Tech

One bit of advice I have is when removing/replacing the pieces around the gear shift/centre console area, be very careful not to drop any screws down there. I dropped one in there and couldn't find it. Lost forever

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w. Premium Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Sideswipe View Post
    One thing that I didn't realize is that it seems like audio still goes over Bluetooth. I was expecting to enjoy better music quality due to USB connection, but don't think that's how it works unfortunately.
    If you are using AA and have your phone plugged into the USB port, you don*t need the Bluetooth connection at all. Un-pairing your phone from the car*s Bluetooth should force music to be routed through the USB connection.

Whether this improved sound quality will result in an audible difference (in a noisy vehicle) is an open question.
    Last edited by Spock; 11-28-2018 at 04:59 AM.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Thanks for the videos OP. They were a huge help in knowing what to expect.

I elected to do my install a little differently. I did not remove the cupholders / HMI / shifter bezel / wallet tray or tunnel side trims. I prepped the cable with the foam and ran it down the dash from the head unit. No fishing wire necessary. Buttoned up everything in the dash and down to the tunnel exactly as you did.

From there I left the cable loose and poked it up under the tunnel plastic where it meets the carpet between the passenger seat and the arm rest. To do this slide the passenger seat all the way forward and work from the back seat. I knew this would lead directly to the USB port in the console as that was the first thing I looked at after disassembly.

From there I buttoned up everything inside the console the way you did. Working space was much tighter without removing the cupholder but I managed. I also managed to get a zip tie around the existing wire loom to secure the new cables under the cup holder blindly. That part wasn't exactly easy but I got it done.

I then tucked the remainder of the cable up into the tunnel under the plastic and buttoned everything up in the passenger kick panel as you did.

Basically I did everything the same as you except for running through the interior of the tunnel. But anyone considering the same needs to decide for themselves what's best for you and your car as this obviously isn't how Mazda says to do it.

Total time for me was ~45 minutes, not including the software update which was done well in advance. I hadn't taken the CX-5's dash apart before but do have experience working with car audio and interiors / electronics so I was comfortable going in.

The only trouble I came into was with a plastic alignment peg on the left side of the screen unit not lining up correctly on re-install, preventing it from fully seating properly into the dash. I had to pull one tab from the gauge cluster surround out to get some wiggle room to get the peg lined up at the correct angle. Once it went in everything else re-assembled without any further issue. In your video it looks like you were fiddling with the same spot a little when re-installing the head unit and the video skips, then it's sitting right. I'm curious if you had a similar experience.

Anyhow, a complete tool list used:
    - a plastic trim tool
    - phillips screwdriver
    - 3/8 ratchet + extension + 10mm socket
    - flashlight
    - small side-cutters (for trimming zip ties)
    - a knife to cut the last piece of foam in half

Thanks again for the work you put into the videos. They were extremely helpful.

When the hell is someone going to do a 16 video?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Studum View Post
    Thanks for the videos OP. They were a huge help in knowing what to expect.

I elected to do my install a little differently. I did not remove the cupholders / HMI / shifter bezel / wallet tray or tunnel side trims. I prepped the cable with the foam and ran it down the dash from the head unit. No fishing wire necessary. Buttoned up everything in the dash and down to the tunnel exactly as you did.

From there I left the cable loose and poked it up under the tunnel plastic where it meets the carpet between the passenger seat and the arm rest. To do this slide the passenger seat all the way forward and work from the back seat. I knew this would lead directly to the USB port in the console as that was the first thing I looked at after disassembly.

From there I buttoned up everything inside the console the way you did. Working space was much tighter without removing the cupholder but I managed. I also managed to get a zip tie around the existing wire loom to secure the new cables under the cup holder blindly. That part wasn't exactly easy but I got it done.

I then tucked the remainder of the cable up into the tunnel under the plastic and buttoned everything up in the passenger kick panel as you did.

Basically I did everything the same as you except for running through the interior of the tunnel. But anyone considering the same needs to decide for themselves what's best for you and your car as this obviously isn't how Mazda says to do it.

Total time for me was ~45 minutes, not including the software update which was done well in advance. I hadn't taken the CX-5's dash apart before but do have experience working with car audio and interiors / electronics so I was comfortable going in.

The only trouble I came into was with a plastic alignment peg on the left side of the screen unit not lining up correctly on re-install, preventing it from fully seating properly into the dash. I had to pull one tab from the gauge cluster surround out to get some wiggle room to get the peg lined up at the correct angle. Once it went in everything else re-assembled without any further issue. In your video it looks like you were fiddling with the same spot a little when re-installing the head unit and the video skips, then it's sitting right. I'm curious if you had a similar experience.

Anyhow, a complete tool list used:
    - a plastic trim tool
    - phillips screwdriver
    - 3/8 ratchet + extension + 10mm socket
    - flashlight
    - small side-cutters (for trimming zip ties)
    - a knife to cut the last piece of foam in half

Thanks again for the work you put into the videos. They were extremely helpful.
    I had trouble getting the left side lined up as well. With some patience, it worked well eventually. Definitely agree it's easier to start at the head unit with your wiring and work back. Avoids the issues people have had here trying to fish the wires up. Taking apart the console pieces wasn't that hard. I'd do it again rather than stuff the cables up as you described.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Keep in mind the official guide says to remove the pieces around the compass/cluster to make getting the head unit in easier. I didnt remove these either, but that is why that part takes more fiddling then anything else.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Turing 2018

Thanks for these great videos!

BTW, is it possible to somehow install the usb hub into the box(or hole, you name it) under the air conditioner panel, besides the power outlet? Because that's the typical place I put my phone. Have a wire go into the center console is not that elegant. And I'm not sure about the signal reception status if I put the phone inside the console directly.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by chlalex View Post
    Thanks for these great videos!

BTW, is it possible to somehow install the usb hub into the box(or hole, you name it) under the air conditioner panel, besides the power outlet? Because that's the typical place I put my phone. Have a wire go into the center console is not that elegant. And I'm not sure about the signal reception status if I put the phone inside the console directly.
    There are other wire connectors that attach to the usb hub that may not be extendable up to the front dash.

My wire tucks in by the seat, unseen unless needed.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Turing 2018

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog00 View Post
    There are other wire connectors that attach to the usb hub that may not be extendable up to the front dash.

My wire tucks in by the seat, unseen unless needed.
    You are right. Thanks for point out the extra connectors which I overlooked. But meanwhile, I'm wondering since the usb is self powered, if I only connect the new usb cable and give up aux/sd card interfaces, will the ACP/AA still work?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123