Sunroof Switch requires excessive force to avticate (any position)

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
A few weeks ago my sunroof would not close. I was getting pissed because I was headed to work. Eventually I was able to get it to close by apply a lot of force (the button popped off in the process). it's still useable, but it's a real PITA because I'm literally have to push hard enough to extend my index al the way back especially when closing it from full open. I'm probably going to pick up a replacement console from ebay (~$60) because I don't want to end up with it stuck open. Anyone else had this issue before?

I've not experienced this, but it could be something as simple as oxidation or lubricant on an electrical contact.
If still under warranty, take it in.
If not, is it possible to remove the switch and then spray some contact cleaner into different openings?

I've not experienced this, but it could be something as simple as oxidation or lubricant on an electrical contact.
If still under warranty, take it in.
If not, is it possible to remove the switch and then spray some contact cleaner into different openings?

This

I would check the sun roof itself for foreign material wedged in the slide or mechanism. Ed

I would check the sun roof itself for foreign material wedged in the slide or mechanism. Ed

Thanks. it's definitely a switch issue though, once the excess pressure is on the switch the roof moves just fine (or if it clicked to auto open). I'll probably look at it just for s**** to see if it's just a dirty contact or corrosion (very possible), but I'm leaning towards just replacing it with a used module off ebay for ~$50.

I'll probably try contact cleaning as suggested. It randomly went back to regular function so it may have been moisture due to the amount of rain and humidity lately.

Does the switch physically not move correctly? Could be some debris/corrosion in the mechanism

Back