Argh, just my luck

:
2012 AWD DIESEL Sport
Hi guys

First post so go easy on me.

Firstly I am no mechanic or car expert just someone with an appreciation of cars.

Glad to be on the forum if only I where here with good news.

So, after what seemed like months of research into what car to buy ( reviews, youtube vids you name it ) I went for a CX5. I thought It ticked all the boxes I needed it to. However since finding this forum it seems I have gone a bought the model with all the engine problems (cryhard) (cryhard) I went for a 2012 CX-5 L 2.2l D, AWD 175 PS 5T 6GS AL-SPORTS TEC-P N Manufactured 30.10.2012.
VIN JMZKEN92600136006 .with 114,500 KM on the clock. I bought it from a Mazda dealership in Germany as I needed a LHD Model. It has had some very recent work done that I was not aware of until two weeks after I had got it home ( Home currently being Lithuania ) The work carried out was due to a reported lack of power I assume from the previous owner.

( Sorry its partly in German )

LACK OF ACCELERATION_SKYACTIV-D 2.2
VORDERACHSGEOMETRIE PRFEN UND EINSTELLEN
LSIEB & PLEUELLAGER ERNEUERN

MAZDA DEXELIA 5W-30 ULTRA DPF LFILTER
DICHTUNG (VPE 5)
SH REPARATUR KIT A
SH REPARATUR KIT B
SH REPAIR KIT C
SPLL ( cleaning oil )
PLEUELLAGERSCHALE ( connecting rod )
DICHTUNG ( ?? )
LSIEB DICHTRING ( oil seals)

no mention of ECU Upgrade or new dipstick ?

From what I gather this VIN model matches the cars with all the headaches. Have I got a ticking time bomb of a car here ?
Question is, what do I do get rid as soon as poss ????? I'm sooo pissed off I really could do without this.

Thanks in advance for any help advice offered.

Regards Geedub

You may want to perform a search such as "2.2 diesel CX-5 oil rise" or something like that.

So 143 views but no input ? maybe i'm in the wrong forum

Honestly, most of the users here are from North America. We do not have the Diesel version. That's why you have no responses because no one has any information to offer about that engine and it's issues, sorry. A better resource for your diesel engine questions would probably be the German CX-5 forum, as those users have experienced these issues first hand. All other things the car are very similar among markets though so you can still get useful feedback on our forum. Thanks. Kannst du Deutsch? http://www.cx5-forum.de/forum.php

Most posters here are familiar with 2.0L and 2.5L family of Mazda Skyactiv engines. That is probably the reason for less response. What are the symptoms you are seeing- see what should be 0-60 time and compare yours.
Just because it has a past history does not mean you will face an issue soon.
So if its a new to you car -
Validate fuel economy and compare with what others are getting.
Validate shifting - 0-60.

It happens to all of us when we buy used - we hear sounds and think its a lemon but most of the time it sorts itself out.
Any reason you did not buy in Lithuania? Do you have any Mazda dealer there for regular service?

Not many people here know about 2.2D but I would think that ATF and oil changes + regular consumables should be good to keep this car working fine.

Hi guys

Firstly I am no mechanic or car expert just someone with an appreciation of cars.

So, after what seemed like months of research into what car to buy ( reviews, youtube vids you name it ) I went for a CX5. I thought It ticked all the boxes I needed it to. However since finding this forum it seems I have gone a bought the model with all the engine problems (cryhard) (cryhard) I went for a 2012 CX-5 L 2.2l D, AWD 175 PS 5T 6GS AL-SPORTS TEC-P N Manufactured 30.10.2012.
VIN JMZKEN92600136006 .with 114,500 KM on the clock. I bought it from a Mazda dealership in Germany as I needed a LHD Model. It has had some very recent work done that I was not aware of until two weeks after I had got it home ( Home currently being Lithuania ) The work carried out was due to a reported lack of power I assume from the previous owner.

DICHTUNG (VPE 5)
SH REPARATUR KIT A
SH REPARATUR KIT B
SH REPAIR KIT C
SPLL ( cleaning oil )
DICHTUNG ( ?? )

From what I gather this VIN model matches the cars with all the headaches. Have I got a ticking time bomb of a car here ?
Question is, what do I do get rid as soon as poss ????? I'm sooo pissed off I really could do without this.

Regards Geedub
Here is a very long thread from UK CX-5 owners where many discussions on problems were related to early 2.2L SkyActiv-D diesel:

How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Based on these posts I believe the early 2.2L diesel on CX-5 is indeed having some major issues like you have found out right now. If I were you I'd get rid of it and take a loss. Lesson learned.

Hey guys thanks ever so much for the responses/input, please accept my apologies for being inpatient in not getting reply's. The lack of replys makes sense now as you don't have the Diesel in the States. I've just realised this forum is mainly frequented by you yanks.( I wish I lived in the states at times ) .

Its great to get the links and advice thats just what i'm after. HUGE thanks Geedub

It happens to all of us when we buy used - we hear sounds and think its a lemon but most of the time it sorts itself out.
Any reason you did not buy in Lithuania? Do you have any Mazda dealer there for regular service?

Mazdas are pretty hard to find here and the CX5 AWD Sport that i wanted was just not available from Mazda only private. Lithuania has probably got the worst reputation in Europe for buying used and its a complete lottery. Many people travel to Germany/Holland like myself. I even bought from a Mazda Dealer for piece of mind but feel like an idiot now though. I just cant believe there seems to be so little information out there about these engine issues.

Here is a very long thread from UK CX-5 owners where many discussions on problems were related to early 2.2L SkyActiv-D diesel:

How many Brits? Fancy a cuppa?

Based on these posts I believe the early 2.2L diesel on CX-5 is indeed having some major issues like you have found out right now. If I were you I'd get rid of it and take a loss. Lesson learned.

This is what I fear I may have to do. Thanks for the link ill get reading..

I've done some digging and from what I can make out my CX5 falls into the category of big headache and huge repair bills if it goes pop. To say I am annoyed is an understatement. As I previously explained I travelled to Germany from Lithuania to buy from a Mazda dealership mainly for piece of mind. They reassured me that the car had undergone a full inspection. To discover that it potentially got major issues is infuriating. Quite frankly they have acted dishonestly. Obviously they would of known about these issues when they sold it seeing as they are a Mazda dealership ! If I wanted to buy a car with this level of headaches I would of bought one from some back street dealer here. I will be onto them first thing in the morning to find out if my cars in amongst the duds. I will not sell it on, and take the hit, why should I, and secondly I would not knowingly sell someone a defective car, not my style.

I will keep you posted but I can tell you I won't be taking this one on the chin...Argh, I can feel a Court case developing.

I've done some digging and from what I can make out my CX5 falls into the category of big headache and huge repair bills if it goes pop. To say I am annoyed is an understatement. As I previously explained I travelled to Germany from Lithuania to buy from a Mazda dealership mainly for piece of mind. They reassured me that the car had undergone a full inspection. To discover that it potentially got major issues is infuriating. Quite frankly they have acted dishonestly. Obviously they would of known about these issues when they sold it seeing as they are a Mazda dealership ! If I wanted to buy a car with this level of headaches I would of bought one from some back street dealer here. I will be onto them first thing in the morning to find out if my cars in amongst the duds. I will not sell it on, and take the hit, why should I, and secondly I would not knowingly sell someone a defective car, not my style.

I will keep you posted but I can tell you I won't be taking this one on the chin...Argh, I can feel a Court case developing.
I can feel your pain, especially went through such hassle to get a diesel CX-5 you thought it would be a perfect one for you!

Buying a used car always has more risk due to too many variables. Even a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) vehicle here has no guarantees as the inspections by the dealers are mostly a joke to me. And I've been always suggesting friends and family buying a cheapest new car is better than getting a used vehicle. Save enough money first to get a new car.

Honestly if you post a question here first before your action of getting an early model diesel CX-5, people here, at least me, would have told you to be aware. At this stage may be you can contact German Mazda dealer getting some sort of extended powertrain warranty if possible (but it would be useless in your situation as Lithuania is too far away from Germany for warranty service). Or you can just run the diesel CX-5 until it actually dies.

I really needed a CX5 kind of car for many reasons .One being where we live, our house has 5km's of gravel road and its tough on cars. That's one reason as well as money I didn't want to buy new, its painful enough driving this on the gravel to see how dirty and shaken around its getting. The roads desert dusty when the weathers dry, its sludgy when wet and then we have three months of snow. To buy new would be just throwing money away. I am at a loss now as to what to do. Since yesterdays post I have been having a think and I cant see me getting anywhere with the dealer, unless I go through the courts. Dragging someone through the courts in Germany particularly when I dont speak German is not something I cherish the thought of. It seems the CX5 could go pop at any time. Whats the solution if it does, a 2013 or later engine ??. Thanks for the input.

Perhaps you can buy an extended warranty from Mazda to cover the vehicle in case the engine pops. Then, just drive it till it does, .... or doesn't.

Perhaps you can buy an extended warranty from Mazda to cover the vehicle in case the engine pops. Then, just drive it till it does, .... or doesn't.

Do you think they would do that. Car is 2012 model and has had two services by an independent Garage ?

Hi guys

DICHTUNG (VPE 5)
SH REPARATUR KIT A
SH REPARATUR KIT B
SH REPAIR KIT C
SPLL ( cleaning oil )
DICHTUNG ( ?? )

Regards Geedub

You should try to get hold of the previous owner to find out what has been done. It may have had everything done. The 2012 oil rising issue would have been done years ago assuming the car has been in a Mazda dealer in its first couple of years. The camshaft problems may have been sorted but some never go and stay ok. Some of the early ones got new engines possibly only in Australia. Mazda may have a record of previous work done. If the car is ok at the moment then just enjoy it.

You should try to get hold of the previous owner to find out what has been done. It may have had everything done. The 2012 oil rising issue would have been done years ago assuming the car has been in a Mazda dealer in its first couple of years. The camshaft problems may have been sorted but some never go and stay ok. Some of the early ones got new engines possibly only in Australia. Mazda may have a record of previous work done. If the car is ok at the moment then just enjoy it.
I dont think finding the previous owner is going to be easy as I bought the car in Germany. And we are currently living in Lithuania. I hear what your saying about the camshaft problems being sorted by the previous owner but it has only had the turbo and its associated parts replaced. From what I've read the Turbo failure would of been caused by oil contaminated with debris from the cam so if thats happened whats to say it won't happen again. Also there are reports of vacuum pump failure, oil pump chains breaking and injector washer issues. I think these earlier engines are very problematic. I would love to sit back and enjoy it but now I feel like it go go pop at any time ?

My other gripe is that I bought this car from a Mazda Dealer, they would of been more than aware of the problems relating to this engine. In fact they have even confirmed that its from the dodgey batch and they replaced the turbo. So in effect they have knowingly sold me a car that can break at any time due to poor design and possibly cause a serious accident. Vacuum pump failure is not something I like the thought of considering I am now getting the missis to take over the school run and she is not that experienced behind the wheel. I wonder if anyone is aware of any legal action being taken against Mazda either in the Uk, Germany, Australia or the states ?

Back