Smoking on first start

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
2003 Mazda Protege5 smokes on first start of day or when engine is cold. Big white cloud out of the tailpipe for 45-60 seconds. Has done it for the 5 years weve owned it, any ideas?

Wouldn't first thing be to do the test that was suggested in that thread to tell whether rings or valve stem seals? You even posted it, lol.................

"There is an easy test to see of you have bad valve seals or seized oil rings.

Let your car sit overnight, then in the morning, remove your plugs and look down the plug hole to see if the pistons are wet with oil or not.

If they are wet then your valve seals are leaking.
If they are dry, put your plugs back in, start your car and run it for about 20 seconds then shut it off, remove the plugs again and check for oil on the pistons.

If they pistons are now wet with oil, then your oil rings are seized. "

Wouldn't first thing be to do the test that was suggested in that thread to tell whether rings or valve stem seals? You even posted it, lol.................
Yes, but seized oil rings are so common with our car that I'm just assuming it's the problem. I figured he would check out the link and do the test.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. Ill try the test but from my understanding I can just replace the spark plugs (already have them and cant hurt) and then just run it till it doesnt run anymore? I should mention at this point the car is just cheap transportation while I work on my 96 Jeep

I hear that ^^^
I'm just trying to keep my car alive. I'm constantly battling rust.

You might wanna try this ??
My engine runs fine and burns no oil so I haven't done it but it sounds like something to try.

I have had somewhat success fixing this issue on a friends GF FSDE 626. His 626 hatch had over 300'000 km's and would blow smoke at start up, hard acceleration from lights, and he had to top up the oil every few days. He was going to dump the car and I said let's try something and see what happens. He agreed as it was a nothing to lose situation anyway. If it doesn't work the car is going to be scrapped anyway.

We removed the old oil and put in oil designed for diesel engines only (not oil designed for diesel or petrol) and about 500ml of diesel mixed into the crankcase. He ran like that for about 50km's. We then changed the oil (was black as night) and oil filter and did the exactly the same again. Diesel only oil with 500ml diesel into crankcase with new oil filter. About 50 kms later he said it was getting better, so changed the oil and filter again but this time we put diesel oil only. Another 50 km's like that and we changed to 10W 30W normal petrol oil with new filter. The car hardly blows smoke at start up now, but a slight hint of blueish smoke when he guns it off the line every now and then.

This was done in October last year, and he is still driving it today with hardly any smoke from the engine anymore. So it worked for him. No guarantees this will always work and is something I would hesitate do on my engine if ever the issue was to arise on my FSDE. But there yo go. He spent a few $$'s on the oil and filters yes, (almost AU$400 all up) but it did improve the engine smoking issue.

I have read of people having success filling the crankcase entirely with diesel only - and running engine for 30 min or so, then doing oil and diesel mixture into crankcase, then finally oil only. But I was not game to try that.

Yeah rust definitely isnt fun once it starts spreading. I saw that too but seemed like a lot of effort would definitely try it as a last resort but right now I still need the car

Back