2013 CX5 Sports AWD Battery failed inspection at 140k

Batteries here in TX often die with the first cold snap. The summer heat causes the cells to swell but then cold causes a contraction. After a few cycles of this cracks form, leading to a sudden dead battery. And so I replace every 3 years, preventatively.

My cx-5 was built 9/2013 and I remember the battery being made about the same time.So far ,so good.I did (finally and for the first time) a few months ago add some distilled water to bring the cells to their full mark.The level was down a little below half way so no exposed plates.Keeping fingers crossed,winters a comin'.

My cx-5 was built 9/2013 and I remember the battery being made about the same time.So far ,so good.I did (finally and for the first time) a few months ago add some distilled water to bring the cells to their full mark.The level was down a little below half way so no exposed plates.Keeping fingers crossed,winters a comin'.

Change it now. It's called "preventive maintenance"!

Who can tell? Took delivery of my CX-5 in August '12. Dealer tested the battery fine August this year. My Miata went into service November '09 and died after moving it from the garage to the driveway for a wash 'n wax in May of '18 - after 8.5 years.

I hope this doesn't constitute a thread hijack. If Craigo would chime in...I hope to import my Canadian CX-5 to the USA in '19; using it for four winter months and leaving it garaged the remainder of the year in Tucson. I assume the heat there is similar to Texas - it was certainly plenty warm during a week there in June. If death-by-heat is a southern US fact, before returning to Canada can I mitigate the effects by removing the battery and taking it into the house proper where the AC keeps the temperature at 85F?

Brian

does it help to have a "battery settings saver" like this : has anyone tried ?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

this one plugs into the OBD to provide electricity to the computer during old battery swap outs
(cigarette plugs goes into a portable fully charged jumpstart NOT the car's cigarette port)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

it's hassle to re-apply all the personal/custom settings (ie radio stations, audio settings, display settings, etc) and also have to re-initialize the windows....

wondering if this keeps the current flowing during battery swap out... can save the annoyance of going thru all the settings again...

also, does anyone know if the oil life monitor gets resetted if the battery is disconnected ?

Who can tell? Took delivery of my CX-5 in August '12. Dealer tested the battery fine August this year. My Miata went into service November '09 and died after moving it from the garage to the driveway for a wash 'n wax in May of '18 - after 8.5 years.

I hope this doesn't constitute a thread hijack. If Craigo would chime in...I hope to import my Canadian CX-5 to the USA in '19; using it for four winter months and leaving it garaged the remainder of the year in Tucson. I assume the heat there is similar to Texas - it was certainly plenty warm during a week there in June. If death-by-heat is a southern US fact, before returning to Canada can I mitigate the effects by removing the battery and taking it into the house proper where the AC keeps the temperature at 85F?

Brian
What helps the Miata batteries last so long? #1 They are in the trunk, away from heat cycling, #2 They are AGM batteries, not flooded cell batteries.

What helps the Miata batteries last so long? #1 They are in the trunk, away from heat cycling, #2 They are AGM batteries, not flooded cell batteries.

What Miata has that? My 2011 is in the front, and conventional - died after 5 years. Put in a Costco battery too.

What Miata has that? My 2011 is in the front, and conventional - died after 5 years. Put in a Costco battery too.

Ugh... they must have changed it, didn't notice LOL...

1990-2005 They were mounted in the trunk.

Brian

Wouldn't hurt, although not using the battery for 8 months means it will discharge a fair amount and that causes its own issues, especially after it ages a couple few years... Maybe you can keep it on a trickle charger?

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt, although not using the battery for 8 months means it will discharge a fair amount and that causes its own issues, especially after it ages a couple few years... Maybe you can keep it on a trickle charger?

That's a thought. Are they safe indoors over 8 months? The Miata and boat start batteries both come home in November and go on a charger until they float; on arrival, mid winter, and just before spring reinstall. The periods are brief and I'm home during the event to monitor them. Maybe I'm just overthinking...

Brian

Back