2013 CX5 Sports AWD Battery failed inspection at 140k

:
mazda cx5 13
At the Mazda dealership getting oil and filter changed at 140k, and battery inspection failed (233 vs full power 550 I guess). Is it common at this mileage? What is the recommendation for replacement battery? Can it be done DIY? Thanks!

The original one. 6years.
That's REALLY about time to get a new battery!

DIY on battery replacement is not difficult as long as you can lift the heavy battery up. Costco has good batteries with great price. Group 35 is the one you want. Watch the YouTube video to see the how-to.

That's REALLY about time to get a new battery!

DIY on battery replacement is not difficult as long as you can lift the heavy battery up. Costco has good batteries with great price. Group 35 is the one you want. Watch the YouTube video to see the how-to.

Its available in Costco for $75 as opposed to $140 that the dealer was charging. I saw some videos and believe that I should be able to do it. Thank you very much for all your help.

This one:

https://costco.interstatebatteries....16&choice3=1177046&choice4=1177047&Country=US

To answer OP's question= No it is not common for the OEM battery to last that long. Thats like the Yoda of Panasonic car batteries.

At the Mazda dealership getting oil and filter changed at 140k, and battery inspection failed (233 vs full power 550 I guess). Is it common at this mileage? What is the recommendation for replacement battery? Can it be done DIY? Thanks!

Just curious; how long were you thinking an OE battery would/should last.(uhm) I replaced the one on my '13 less than a year ago with about 40k miles on it!

I replaced the battery in my wife's Civic a couple of months ago, price was around $75 USD iirc.

Six years is crazy. I'm on my third, but I'm in AZ and the heat destroys batteries (and anything plastic and clearcoat and, etc.)

Had mine replaced yesterday at the dealer for $134.00. Car is 3.5 yrs old with 19k miles. They asked me twice if I was sure if I wanted to replace it since it checked out fine.
It's part of my preventative maintenance and I said yes.

Had two cars where the battery just died with no prior warning and left me stranded. Learned my lesson.

Just curious; how long were you thinking an OE battery would/should last.(uhm) I replaced the one on my '13 less than a year ago with about 40k miles on it!

Oh, I had absolutely no idea about the life of battery. Everytime at dealership during oil change they did check the battery status and checked the green box next to battery status. I hope they actually did do the testing earlier.

Six years is crazy. I'm on my third, but I'm in AZ and the heat destroys batteries (and anything plastic and clearcoat and, etc.)

I have been to many places in these 6 years...Atlanta, Albany NY, Memphis...so definitely not as warm as in AZ. It was always parked on the street though. I guess it just got lucky.

Still on my original battery. Bought car in April 2013, Jan 2013 manufacturing date, so almost 6 years for me.

Battery when I haven't absolutely killed the thing by leaving my dome light on overnight (which I seem to do a few times a year), is otherwise fine. That said, the last time I had a real hard time jump starting it, so may be time to replace for good measure.

Still on my original battery. Bought car in April 2013, Jan 2013 manufacturing date, so almost 6 years for me.

Battery when I haven't absolutely killed the thing by leaving my dome light on overnight (which I seem to do a few times a year), is otherwise fine. That said, the last time I had a real hard time jump starting it, so may be time to replace for good measure.

Only once, after I bought it in June 2012, I left the light on about a couple of years ago and had to get roadside assistance to get it jump started. No issues before or after.

Had mine replaced yesterday at the dealer for $134.00. Car is 3.5 yrs old with 19k miles. They asked me twice if I was sure if I wanted to replace it since it checked out fine.
It's part of my preventative maintenance and I said yes.

Had two cars where the battery just died with no prior warning and left me stranded. Learned my lesson.
That's the extreme for preventive maintenance on a 3.5-year / 19K-mile battery, especially it's been tested to be good. That battery could last another 2 years or more. But you should do whatever you feel conformable for preventive maintenance, nothing wrong with that. I usually replace the battery with the sign of frequent weak starts, especially before the winter coming.

Last edited:
That's the extreme for preventive maintenance on a 3.5-year / 19K-mile battery, especially it's been tested to be good. That battery could last another 2 years or more. But you should do what ever you feel conformsble for preventive maintenance, nothing wrong with that. I usually replace the battery with the sign of frequent weak starts, especially before the winter coming.

I'm old enough to remember when you used to get a week or two of weak cranks before the battery died but today you can start the car in the morning and it's a strong start then try at noon and it's dead. Plus I do a lot of short runs, less than 3 miles one way. I'd rather be safe than sorry but there's no guarantee the new battery won't be bad to begin with and die in a few months or a year, but the odds are in my favor this way.

If I were you, I'd count my blessings and replace it yesterday!

Back