Thread: Need help with BSM. BSM error light flashing

Registered Member

Need help with BSM. BSM error light flashing

This problem is driving me nuts! I have an intermittent problem with my drivers side BSM not working every now and then on my '08 CX-9 GT.
    After the drivers side not working for a few minutes, it triggers a flashing "BSM Off" light. Sometimes it will work perfectly, other times not.
    When hooked up to a diagnostic computer to read DTC's and history codes, nothing comes up unless the BSM is actively flashing (no history codes). So I hooked it up to my friends computer while it flashed and got code: U3000:97-8A. According to research that I've done, it all pointed to a messed up signal in the Left BSM module, usually caused by dirt, or physical damage. I checked everything and it was all good, so the last thing on the list was a defective module. I ordered and installed a replacement, now it doesn't work at all! (on the drivers side, passenger side works still) and of course after a few miles of not working, the flashing "BSM Off" light illuminates. I pulled the code and it is the same code as before I replaced the module.
    Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Is it just that the new module needs to be "set up" or "calibrated"? Is it normal to not work at all after a replacement?
    As of now, I have no idea what to do so I made an appointment at the dealer for this Thursday hoping that they just need to do a calibration on it.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by up4speed; 09-12-2018 at 01:18 AM.

Registered Member

I just got back from the dealer.
    They were unable to program the replacement module. They told me that I have to change BOTH modules (left and right) at the same time. I don't know why they don't only sell them in pairs then, nor do I know how they know that they are together when ordered, but apparently nobody knows why, they just say that it works. The modules are very expensive (~$625 each) so I don't now what to do at this point. I'm also assuming that I have to pay again to have them programmed to the car, so there goes another $100. Then I have to question, what if it's something else? I wonder if it can be the body control module? I'm very frustrated at this point.
    I was even willing to pull the BSM OFF light bulb out and to hell with the whole BSM, but I don't think it's even a bulb, I think it's the whole cluster as a unit, so I can't even do that!!!
    Any suggestions?

Registered Member

I gave up and ordered the left and the right blind spot monitors. They should be in on Saturday, I'll report back after I install them.

Registered Member

Final update:
    I installed two brand new blind spot monitors on the right and left today. It was very easy to remove the bumper and replace them. I'm happy to report that after replacing BOTH, the system is now working flawlessly, and there was no programming required! The only downside is that the parts came out to $1,152.
    (I had a fun time talking to myself on this thread, LOL)

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5

Quote Originally Posted by up4speed View Post
    Final update:
    I installed two brand new blind spot monitors on the right and left today. It was very easy to remove the bumper and replace them. I'm happy to report that after replacing BOTH, the system is now working flawlessly, and there was no programming required! The only downside is that the parts came out to $1,152.
    Was that the price for all parts? Or just the two purchase together?
    2018 CX-9 Grand Touring
    2010 Mazda5 Sport Manual
    2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
    2000 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3 PSD
    1991 Miata

My Way IS the Highway

07 CX-7 GT AWD Liquid Platinum/Sand & 18 CX-9 Signature Silver

Quote Originally Posted by up4speed View Post
    Final update:
    Sorry to hear about the troubles and glad you got it worked out. Actually, your experience here with these sensors - and the cost - is a very timely example of why I'm changing my opinion on extended warranty for the bumper2bumper. We keep cars for the long term, and the dealer is including lifetime coverage on power-train. That is a nice plus, but in light of the amount of computer/electronic components & systems in the current generation of cars, the likelihood of a simple but pricey failure occurring in that ecosystem appears to be a risk that changes the calculation for extending that coverage. The dealer will be presenting us with some options and quotes when we pick up the new Silver Sig this week; I am strongly considering adding that coverage.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkthomas View Post
    Was that the price for all parts? Or just the two purchase together?
    The original monitor I purchased was used and it didn't work (probably because I needed to change both left and right), it cost $250, but I'm able to return it, so no loss there. The 2 new ones that I bought came with new brackets and wiring harnesses and list price for them was about $625 each. I was able to get a discount for the new sensors, so the total after taxes was $1,152. I installed them myself, they were pretty easy. The only other cost was the trip to the dealer trying to program the first used module for it to work. That was about $70. So all in, I'm at about $1,230.
    I can also sell my used (good side) monitor on ebay and recoup about $200.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by singlemalt_18 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the troubles and glad you got it worked out. Actually, your experience here with these sensors - and the cost - is a very timely example of why I'm changing my opinion on extended warranty for the bumper2bumper. We keep cars for the long term, and the dealer is including lifetime coverage on power-train. That is a nice plus, but in light of the amount of computer/electronic components & systems in the current generation of cars, the likelihood of a simple but pricey failure occurring in that ecosystem appears to be a risk that changes the calculation for extending that coverage. The dealer will be presenting us with some options and quotes when we pick up the new Silver Sig this week; I am strongly considering adding that coverage.
    Thanks!
    I'm happy that I solved it. Since it started as an intermittent problem, I was worried about troubleshooting correctly.
    As far as extended warranties go, I'm not big on them. The reason being that probability says that you will do financially better without them. These companies are in business to make money. not dish it out. However, each persons comfort level and needs are different, so for some people it is a smart choice because it's a form of security, and makes it easier to budget expenses. I like to do a lot of my own work as well, I view it as therapy, lol.
    If you decide to go with a warranty, just make sure that everything is covered. I've seen too many garbage warranties that only covers stuff that never breaks. Some can be VERY limited. Read the fine print, consider the deductible if it has one, and make sure that you are buying what you think you are buying. I almost bought one many years ago for my wife's mini van (it was a Dodge, and always had problems), I even paid for it. However, after reading the fine print, I realized it was basically useless. Thankfully I was able to get my money back on it!