Rear diff schedule

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Anybody know what the interval is for changing rear diff fluid? Apparently my Mazda dealer doesn't because they told me today that it's a closed system.
And they're the better of the two dealers in my area.
I would assume it's around 30,000 miles.

My CX5 2014 owners manual states to change the diff oil if it was submerged under water. This seems reasonable since Mazda is not a true full time AWD but, a 2WD until you slip the front wheels. ed

I had mine changed around 60k miles, both the rear differential and transfer case. I will proceed in doing so every 50k miles.

In my opinion fluid is a wear item and as someone who plans to drive my CX-5 hopefully well past 150k miles, I will change those fluids and is also why I am in the process of doing ATF drain and fills.

Last edited:
Anybody know what the interval is for changing rear diff fluid? Apparently my Mazda dealer doesn't because they told me today that it's a closed system.
And they're the better of the two dealers in my area.
I would assume it's around 30,000 miles.
Like erhayes said, there's no scheduled interval for both front transfer case and real differential unless the rear differential is submerged under water. But like ATF, many people want to change the gear lubricant in front transfer case and real differential. Most of them set at 50K miles similar to ATF drain-and-fill.

IMO these gear oils should be changed at ~50K-mile interval. Those who had done it have found the gear oil drained out looks dark and dirty, and the level is low from factory in rear differential. Some even found it's also low in front transfer case.

Mazda's i-Activ AWD system actually transfers power more often than others for performance reason. It shows from MPG ratings between FWD and AWD CX-5 where CX-5 has considerably lower EPA MPG ratings than FWD, especially on gen-1 CX-5, comparing to other CUVs.

Last edited:
That's weird that there can be such a big difference in maintenance schedules between the CX-5 and the CR-V. They both have basically the same AWD system.
My wife's CR-V called for a rear diff fluid change at 13k and then another at around 28k and so forth.

Kinda strange that Honda would want the fluid changed but Mazda wouldn't.

I never heard of a manufacture calling for a rear differential fluid change at 13,000 miles and another at 28,000 miles. That would be considered a high maintenance vehicle in my opinion. Another possibility is that HONDA transmission or differential is one series that had considerable problems that resulted in A TSB or recall. Ed

I never heard of a manufacture calling for a rear differential fluid change at 13,000 miles and another at 28,000 miles. That would be considered a high maintenance vehicle in my opinion. Another possibility is that HONDA transmission or differential is one series that had considerable problems that resulted in A TSB or recall. Ed
I believe OP's Honda dealer is simply trying to make more money by doing a such frequent rear differential gear oil change. wlong01 should check maintenance intervals on these listed in owner's manual.

The TSB on Honda's recent CVT transmission is to resolve the infamous vibration issue. It only involves some software updates nothing major.

That's weird that there can be such a big difference in maintenance schedules between the CX-5 and the CR-V. They both have basically the same AWD system.
My wife's CR-V called for a rear diff fluid change at 13k and then another at around 28k and so forth.

Kinda strange that Honda would want the fluid changed but Mazda wouldn't.
I agree. And also the ATF. That's why I insist to change ATF and front transfer case / rear differential gear lub at ~50K miles although Mazda doesn't have any maintenance interval.

The maintenance schedule on my 1998 Honda CR-V calls ATF and rear differential gear lub (no separate front transfer case for Honda's AWD, it's build-in with transaxle) changes (drain-and-fill for ATF) at 90K miles or 72 months under normal condition; 30K miles / 24 months on ATF, 60K miles / 48 months on rear differential oil under severe condition.

I believe OP's Honda dealer is simply trying to make more money by doing a such frequent rear differential gear oil change. wlong01 should check maintenance intervals on these listed in owner's manual.

The TSB on Honda's recent CVT transmission is to resolve the infamous vibration issue. It only involves some software updates nothing major.

There are no maintenance intervals, it's all controlled by the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle so the dealer isn't trying to make more money. The MM throws maint codes at certain intervals (mileage and time). It's up to you to follow the codes. Sorta like the Maintenance screen in the CX-5 but it covers more things like oil, diff, plugs, coolant, etc.

There are no maintenance intervals, it's all controlled by the Maintenance Minder in the vehicle so the dealer isn't trying to make more money. The MM throws maint codes at certain intervals (mileage and time). It's up to you to follow the codes. Sorta like the Maintenance screen in the CX-5 but it covers more things like oil, diff, plugs, coolant, etc.
OK, you're right. I forgot Honda now has "Maintenance Minder" on new vehicles. Still, changing rear differential oil at the interval of 13K ~ 15K miles seems very frequent. May be the clutch pack in rear differential gets worked harder than usual making the gear lub dirty really fast?

OK, you're right. I forgot Honda now has "Maintenance Minder" on new vehicles. Still, changing rear differential oil at the interval of 13K ~ 15K miles seems very frequent. May be the clutch pack in rear differential gets worked harder than usual making the gear lub dirty really fast?

Also throws a code for ATF change at apprx every 30k. Maybe that's why Honda's last so long.

Also throws a code for ATF change at apprx every 30k. Maybe that's why Honda's last so long.
That's convenient. But my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181,188 miles has much longer maintenance interval on these than your new CR-V, and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

That's convenient. But my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181,188 miles has much longer maintenance interval on these than your new CR-V, and it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

I hear you. Those babies are like small tanks.

Turbo'd/Mods?

Turbo'd/Mods?

Civic Type R pistons, B16 Head port and polished, 3 angle valve job, custom ground cams, ITR intake manifold, AEM cold air intake, DC Headers, Hondata S300 tuned to over 8k+ rpms (76-8k is the sweet spot, though) by me. A few little hidden secrets. 231whp on 93 pump gas. She has a little more in her, but she*s reliable as they get while driven hard daily...

Coming to a CX-5 near you... (drive2)

Last edited:
mazda says to service at 30k if under extreme use. both my front and rear diff blew up at 55k, both got serviced at 45k with mazda fluids... cant wait to get it back from the dealership later this week to go trade this heep in...

Back