Mpg

aross1974

:
2001 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
Hi all,

Getting some cruddy mileage on this 03. 170k miles. Changed plugs and air filter, oil is changed. Car is running fine, gonna check the plugs when the car is here for me to look at it. Last weekend I could hear a brake sensor rubbing as my daughter pulled away. Brake drag? I read there was a service bulletin but I cant seem to find much on what the solution was to fix the issue. The O2 sensors are on my list of things to look at, but this is getting way worse gas mileage than the sedan I had. Like 165 miles and theres 1/4 tank of gas left. Used to seeing that number at 300 miles with the tank at 1/4 full. Thoughts?

300 miles on a quarter tank? I think you might either be mistaken or someone put a gas tank out of an F250 in your car.

Our gas tanks hold 14.5 gallons. Multiply that by...I dunno, lets say 25. the P5 originally got closer to 30, but at 170k lets knock off 4 or 5mpg.

25 x 14.5 = 362 from a full tank.

If I'm reading this wrong and you meant that you went through 3/4 and have 1/4 left:

25mpg x 3.6ish gallons (.25 of 14.5) = You should have 90 or so miles of fuel left.

No with a 1/4 tank remaining, sorry should have worded it better. When my sedan would get to 1/4 tank of fuel remaining, trip odometer would be around 300 or so miles.

I could hear the brakes the other day when my daughter dropped me off at work. Thats why I was curious about the service bulletin on the rears. Car runs great given the neglect from the owner before me, pretty sure the oxygen sensors are the originals so I may replace them. Plugs should be good, theyre new, new air filter, new Pcv valve. Coolant levels are good.

Check and regrease your slider pins.
Normally, we have to grease our brakes twice a year but apparently Sil Glide works great and lasts for a year or more.
It's kind of expensive but worth the money.

Check and make sure your P-brake connection point on the rear calipers are pivoting when the P-brake handle is pulled and released.

I had my P-brake cables seize and the rear brakes wouldn't release.

Back