CX5 won't start and can be put into gear with it off

DMW_AZ

:
I have a 2013 CX-5 Auto with 95k miles. Yesterday, it was very slow to start, and then later in the day, it was completely dead. I charged the battery, and then it started fine. I went to my local auto parts store and then tested both the battery and alternator and they tested fine.

Today the car will not start again and now charging it will not allow it to start. I get the green key light and everything flashes, but no start.

I also noticed that I can go into the car and Immediately put the car into any gear without touching anything else.

This tells me that a switch of some sort is not working properly. Note that I did already replace the switch under the gear shift a couple months ago for another issue.

Do the brake switches often go bad on these cars? Any other ideas?

I have a 2013 CX-5 Auto with 95k miles. Yesterday, it was very slow to start, and then later in the day, it was completely dead. I charged the battery, and then it started fine. I went to my local auto parts store and then tested both the battery and alternator and they tested fine.

Today the car will not start again and now charging it will not allow it to start. I get the green key light and everything flashes, but no start.

I also noticed that I can go into the car and Immediately put the car into any gear without touching anything else.

This tells me that a switch of some sort is not working properly. Note that I did already replace the switch under the gear shift a couple months ago for another issue.

Do the brake switches often go bad on these cars? Any other ideas?
Brake switch is a fairly common issue.
Gear lever selector switch not as common.

Test brake light function, and also try pushing/wiggling gear selector into P while pushing button.

Brake lights work. I discovered I was able to put it into any gear by pushing/wiggling gear selector while troubleshooting earlier today.

Your no start problem could be loose/corroded battery terminal. You can check/tighten or take off and clean with baking soda/water to kill the acid.

Your no start problem could be loose/corroded battery terminal. You can check/tighten or take off and clean with baking soda/water to kill the acid.

...and also check any chassis grounds, follow battery cables away from battery to where they connect and check those connections as well. How old is the battery? If it's 4 years or older get a new one. May test good one day but still not hold a charge.

Last edited:
I took it to a local shop that I've used before. The battery was done, so they replaced that to fix the starting issue. It's only 2 years old, but that's all we get here in AZ.

The other problem is that the shifter mechanism is broken, so they have to replace the whole shifter. You could have the car in Park and the car would roll backwards if on an incline.

We got by with 6 trouble-free years so I guess I can't complain too much.

Back