Thread: 2017 CX-9 suspension click/clunk

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9

2017 CX-9 suspension click/clunk

I just registered on this forum to report about what I thought was suspension clicking and clunking on my 2017 CX-9 with ~10k miles. It started happening more and more the last couple thousand miles. Happened everywhere--inclines, driveways, on the highway when hitting bumps OR when coming off bumps (suspension unloaded).

I jacked it up and couldn't find anything that seemed like it would make the noise, but then I happened to notice the upper strut tower bracing/bar that at the base of the cowl/top of firewall had four bolts that were all loose! Tightening those got rid of my noise.

I hope this helps someone out in the future.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9

This got me thinking about stiffening up the front end. Does anyone have any experience with front strut tower braces for the CX-9? The only one I can find on the internet is an AutoExe one: http://www.amazdaonline.com/eshop/cx...r-mtc4000.html

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

I'm almost positive it is only eye candy. I doubt it does much on modern chassis.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

If the car already has an upper strut tower brace, the replacement of or addition of an aftermarket piece likely won't do anything. As far as I can tell, the CX-9 doesn't have one, so the addition of a brace would change the way it drives a little bit. I'm no suspension guru, but I would assume that this would throw the driving dynamics of the CX-9 out of whack a little bit, so unless you know what to expect with the addition of a brace and how it would affect Mazda's suspension (and GVC for 2018-2019 models), I'd keep it stock.

EDIT: From this picture, it looks like it does have one.

The AutoEXE one will be redundant, so its pretty much just an engine dress-up part that won't serve any additional function.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9

It depends on the car and suspension engineering/geometry. I've seen cars on which a strut or shock tower brace had a pronounced effect and others that didn't.

The CX-9's OEM brace is pretty paltry looking--that AutoExe one is much stouter metal, spans further across the bay to reach the actual center of the strut towers, and uses the beefier top strut bolts rather than smaller OEM bar's tower bolts that attach inboard of the struts on metal tabs. My memory's a little fuzzy, but I seem to recall that tower braces typically have a more pronounced effect on cars with struts rather than shocks, possible because the struts act as a sort of upper suspension arm, as opposed to struts whose motion is isolated from the movement of the control arms.