Bought a 2016 cx5 touring CPO - Already have an issue

CPO inspections are only as good as the guy doing the inspection. 160 inspection points! Right.. That being said, I wouldn't get too upset over this, could be something as simple as maybe a wheel weight falling off and a tire being out of balance.

You looked at the cx5 in Georgia? I did look at the tires. They look great but since I couldn't get "up to speed" in Roswell, Georgia I didn't know. One would hope the 160 point inspection would find such. I was told they were Korean. I just want the shaking to stop. Not saying I am going to leave negative feedback for them. I am however frustrated by this.

haha the same model, same year, same shake.... but in michigan. They dont do the inspection. I guarantee the sales manager drives the car around the block if no idiot lights come on its given a quick cleaning and put on the lot. I had the salesman send the one i was looking at over to the service dept twice for wheel balancing. Both times it did not correct it. Sometimes you just gotta walk away.

I trusted the dealer. CPO made me feel safer, like they went over it in great detail. I haven't had good luck buying from dealers ever. Most seem to lie and try to take as much money from you as possible. I have been lied to more times than I likely know by dealers. I felt this dealership treated me nice but they messed up on the tire thing. Everything else is great and we love it :)

When i bought my 2010 Mazda 3 CPO it had a bent rim that i asked to be replaced before buying. After i picked it up i realized they had just moved it to the rear. They were fighting me on replacing it until i told them i was contacting Mazda Corporate to see what they would have to say.... suddenly i was told to come in the next morning to get it replaced, for free.

haha the same model, same year, same shake.... but in michigan. They dont do the inspection. I guarantee the sales manager drives the car around the block if no idiot lights come on its given a quick cleaning and put on the lot. I had the salesman send the one i was looking at over to the service dept twice for wheel balancing. Both times it did not correct it. Sometimes you just gotta walk away.

Yep!

As much as I hate to say this - this is one of the reasons buying new is a piece of mind. I bought a CPO Camry :
1. Touchscreen doesnt work - had to call Toyota to get it replaced - 200 out of pocket. Toyota paid for parts.
2. Heat deflector in rear falls off due to metal on metal corrosion - known issue - 150 out of pocket.
3. A Pillar trim on inside fell off.
4. Its been smoked in with burnt marks on the upholstry. - A CPO?

OP stick to your guns and fight it out - you have few things in your favor - brand new tires should last 30-40K miles, call MZ corporate and go through them. It will be less of a hassle. Sure a nearby dealer would want to test drive - make sure you can replicate it, promise the dealer you will service from them. Good luck.

get the tires balanced, it's not too exp, you can give the bill to the dealership. most likely the tires were flat spotted from the car sitting for a while. air them up to 40 psi, drive for a few days then you can put them back to 35 psi, get them balanced. call it a day. cpo is a sales tactic, nothing more. my steering was 45* crooked when i test drove it, manager kept blabing about how great cpo was, told him why is the steering crooked "oh they missed that".

Last edited:
I have managed to get them to do a road force balance for free. They found little wrong I was told. They then called Mazda corporate and had them give me a brand new set of tires. It feels much smoother now.

However, it's been 2 weeks and we took a long freeway trip yesterday. I still can see the mirrors physically shake at 70mph even on new pavement. I can also at times take my hands off the wheel and it shakes. If I rest my legs on the vehicle I feel a lot of vibration.

At this point I am not sure if something else is wrong or if this cx5 is simply not smooth. Are they just a bit rough no matter the pavement?

It's not horrible but I am confused why I feel any vibrations on brand new pavement that I do not feel in my other vehicles.

I love the cx5. It handles very nice and the cabin feels large. Are they just rough riding vehichles.

I have managed to get them to do a road force balance for free. They found little wrong I was told. They then called Mazda corporate and had them give me a brand new set of tires. It feels much smoother now.

However, it's been 2 weeks and we took a long freeway trip yesterday. I still can see the mirrors physically shake at 70mph even on new pavement. I can also at times take my hands off the wheel and it shakes. If I rest my legs on the vehicle I feel a lot of vibration.

At this point I am not sure if something else is wrong or if this cx5 is simply not smooth. Are they just a bit rough no matter the pavement?

It's not horrible but I am confused why I feel any vibrations on brand new pavement that I do not feel in my other vehicles.

I love the cx5. It handles very nice and the cabin feels large. Are they just rough riding vehichles.
Mirror vibration is a known issue many of us including myself have.

The rest though does not sound normal.

Supposedly the head manager took it for a ride after they put new tires on it. The mirrors vibrations do not bother me as bad as the feeling of vibration in the wheel and panels. At this point what should I ask of them? The dealer is determined to charge me the $110 fee to look the car over should it be anything not on the list of CPO covered items.

Sumimoto is related to Falken Goodyear and Dunlop in some way. So not crap. You should have seen what tires were before purchasing. CPO can be serviced in any Mazda dealer. Hurry up as you have less time left.

Oh yes they are! Was talked into a set for my Mustang years ago. Said they were same as Dunlop D40s and that Sumitomo "owned" Dunlop.

Supposedly the head manager took it for a ride after they put new tires on it. The mirrors vibrations do not bother me as bad as the feeling of vibration in the wheel and panels. At this point what should I ask of them? The dealer is determined to charge me the $110 fee to look the car over should it be anything not on the list of CPO covered items.

J. Finger in Gville?

If they balanced the wheels and tires and you're still getting this level of vibration I wonder if a wheel is bent. All it takes is a solid hit on a pothole at speed.

I noticed the OE Mazda 19" wheels on my 6 Touring were made in China. I can only assume the CX's wheels come from the same mfr. Personally, I have my doubts about the durability of Chinese alloy.

Yes, it's now owned by the Acura and Infiniti place. Bradshaw bought them. I swear it feels like a wobble and not a bump bump. So even on smooth road it's like being on a motorcycle. It's better than it was but something is off.

Yes, it's now owned by the Acura and Infiniti place. Bradshaw bought them. I swear it feels like a wobble and not a bump bump. So even on smooth road it's like being on a motorcycle. It's better than it was but something is off.

My vote is that if it feels like a wobble, and the tires have been rebalanced, then most likely you have dirt and debris between the back of the rotor, and the hub. This occurs during clumsy mounting and dismounting of a wheel. If you feel it in your steering wheel, then it is most likely pointing to a front culprit, if not, then most likely the rear.

Has it been lifted up in the air to observe the tires and wheels spinning while mounted to the vehicle?

If they balanced the wheels and tires and you're still getting this level of vibration I wonder if a wheel is bent. All it takes is a solid hit on a pothole at speed.

I noticed the OE Mazda 19" wheels on my 6 Touring were made in China. I can only assume the CX's wheels come from the same mfr. Personally, I have my doubts about the durability of Chinese alloy.
If the wheel is bent, tire balance should catch it, especially a road force balance OP's dealer has done.

Chinese alloy wheels can be high quality. It all depends on how much you're willing to pay. If Mazda pays cheap, it gets low quality 19" wheels. All the expensive and "high-quality" iPhones and iPads from Apple are made in China! :)

I went and talked to them. They did not drive it after adding the new tires. At least not the shop manager. I have an appointment to take him for a ride Wednesday at 10:30am. He said this car won't ride like a luxury car as it has a sporty drive. I pointed outside to my bmw with sport suspension and told him this is vibrations not bumpyness. We will see how it goes. What I fear is them telling me the steering wheel vibrations are normal as are the other vibrations on smooth newly paved road.

If you've got a set of new tires and road-force balanced them, they can't be the source of your vibration.

I had asked this question in my previous post but you didn't answer. Is your CX-5 an AWD? Sometimes an out-of-balance long drive-shaft to rear differential can cause vibration too.

If the wheel is bent, tire balance should catch it, especially a road force balance OP's dealer has done.

Chinese alloy wheels can be high quality. It all depends on how much you're willing to pay. If Mazda pays cheap, it gets low quality 19" wheels. All the expensive and "high-quality" iPhones and iPads from Apple are made in China! :)

Did OP confirm is a wheel got bent (pothole or something). Regarding OEM wheels made in China..are actually of high quality. Higher quality than a lot of aftermarket made in China wheels. Only downside are made in China wheels are heavy.

Back