Bought a 2016 cx5 touring CPO - Already have an issue

:
2016.5 CX5 Touring
We went out of state to a very nice Mazda dealership and bought a CPO mazda cx5 touring. 40k miles and after taxes and fees it was 18,252. Best price in over 300 miles.

Drove it and all was very nice. We got on the way home and noticed that once on the freeway, the car vibrates enough to be annoying. Once I got to a gas station I noticed those so called 4 brand new tires are some sorta Korean no name tires.

The steering wheel actually vibrates a little at 70 to 80 mph. Where the dealership was, there was no interstate for miles. We only got the car up to like 50.

Am I to fight mazda coorperate over this? Or am I on the hook for 4 new tires myself or deal with the shaking for 2 or 3 years? I am highly bothered by the shaking. I paid 18k for a vehicle and I expect no shaking.

Call your dealer. If you're lucky maybe it's just the tires needing to be properly balanced.

It pulls straight and it had a 4 wheel alignment according to the carfax during the CPO process. Sumitomo tires or whatever are tires nobody in their right mind would put on a car. Mazda says the tires meet their standards, I guess that means they hold air :(

I will call the dealer I got it from tomorrow and ask about what I can do locally with my CPO about the shaking. They wanted a good Google review, they might not get it sadly.

Sumimoto is related to Falken Goodyear and Dunlop in some way. So not crap. You should have seen what tires were before purchasing. CPO can be serviced in any Mazda dealer. Hurry up as you have less time left.

It pulls straight and it had a 4 wheel alignment according to the carfax during the CPO process. Sumitomo tires or whatever are tires nobody in their right mind would put on a car. Mazda says the tires meet their standards, I guess that means they hold air :(
Sumitomo is not a Korean brand but a farely large 109-year-old Japanese tire company which also owns Dunlop、Falken、and Ohtsu.

Your shaking issue on the highway should be considered as a minor issue for a used car and could easily get resolved by balancing the tires. Besides, tire issue, if its defective, is covered by tire manufactures warranty, not by Mazda.

Is your 2016 CX-5 an AWD? If it is, you may have rear differential front bearing issue if tire balancing cant fix the shaking.

Sumimoto = cheap Japanese tires.
Balancing will solve it probably.
If dealer pays for balancing and resolving the issue I would leave them good review.

Last edited:
Another vote for balancing - I had a bad balance job at Costco once, same symptoms. They admitted one of the machines had been having problems. Rebalanced tires and all was well.

Go for simple things first.

My Mazda3 is very susceptible to off-balance tires. I've gotten to where I only go to where I can get a "road force" balance. If the tire shop has a Hunter road force balancer, I'm going there. It's a night and day difference! Here's where you can find one near you: https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

We went out of state to a very nice Mazda dealership and bought a CPO mazda cx5 touring. 40k miles and after taxes and fees it was 18,252. Best price in over 300 miles.

Drove it and all was very nice. We got on the way home and noticed that once on the freeway, the car vibrates enough to be annoying. Once I got to a gas station I noticed those so called 4 brand new tires are some sorta Korean no name tires.

The steering wheel actually vibrates a little at 70 to 80 mph. Where the dealership was, there was no interstate for miles. We only got the car up to like 50.

Am I to fight mazda coorperate over this? Or am I on the hook for 4 new tires myself or deal with the shaking for 2 or 3 years? I am highly bothered by the shaking. I paid 18k for a vehicle and I expect no shaking.

I came very close to buying the same car last month but noticed the same issue and walked away. I would tell the dealership this is CPO and any issue like this should have shown up in the inspection (that is never actually done). They will fight you all the way but hopefully will make it right.

You looked at the cx5 in Georgia? I did look at the tires. They look great but since I couldn't get "up to speed" in Roswell, Georgia I didn't know. One would hope the 160 point inspection would find such. I was told they were Korean. I just want the shaking to stop. Not saying I am going to leave negative feedback for them. I am however frustrated by this.

You looked at the cx5 in Georgia? I did look at the tires. They look great but since I couldn't get "up to speed" in Roswell, Georgia I didn't know. One would hope the 160 point inspection would find such. I was told they were Korean. I just want the shaking to stop. Not saying I am going to leave negative feedback for them. I am however frustrated by this.

Most likely they did a poor job balancing them. "Certified cars" are a joke. Every certified car I have purchased (Toyota Sienna, Honda CRV) has had issues that should have been identified in an inspection.

I would make them fix it.

I trusted the dealer. CPO made me feel safer, like they went over it in great detail. I haven't had good luck buying from dealers ever. Most seem to lie and try to take as much money from you as possible. I have been lied to more times than I likely know by dealers. I felt this dealership treated me nice but they messed up on the tire thing. Everything else is great and we love it :)

I trusted the dealer. CPO made me feel safer, like they went over it in great detail. I haven't had good luck buying from dealers ever. Most seem to lie and try to take as much money from you as possible. I have been lied to more times than I likely know by dealers. I felt this dealership treated me nice but they messed up on the tire thing. Everything else is great and we love it :)

That's why they are called "stealerships". There is no reason to trust them.

Anyway, agreed with everyone else. Get tires re-balanced and go from there. Hopefully that resolves the issue for you.

Back