2016 CX-5 AWD Sport (17") - Michelin LTX M/S to replace OEM Geolander?

robfilms

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2016 CX-5 Sport AWD with 17" rims. Yokohama Geolanders has 22k and looking like wear bars will be soon apparent.

One rear tire has a plug. And another tire (front) also has a plug.

(Damn, construction sites on my daily commute-screws!)

I am thinking four Michelin LTX M/S at $145/per via local Costco.

I looked up ratings at Tire Rack and many thumbs up.

I also read the written reviews (not simply numbered database info which is always helpful) and noticed many larger vehicles (Dodge Ram pu/F150s/Highlander)

Anyone running the Michelin LTX M/S on their CX-5?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Thumbs up.

Rob

I used to run LTX M/S on my 2-door Explorer and drove it like a Mustang. They were great tires, but they don't seem to be made anymore. You must be looking at something else.

2016 CX-5 Sport AWD with 17" rims. Yokohama Geolanders has 22k and looking like wear bars will be soon apparent.

I also read the written reviews (not simply numbered database info which is always helpful) and noticed many larger vehicles (Dodge Ram pu/F150s/Highlander)

Thumbs up.

Rob

I replaced Geolanders with Michelin defender Ltx m/s on my 2013 cx5 at around 53k. 85k miles later (odometer 138k) it still had 7/32 thread left when a nail punctured the sidewall. Replaced all 4 with the same tires again.

Thumbs up.

Rob
Michelin Defender LTX M/S or Michelin Premier LTX? They're a little different tires. Defender LTX M/S is highway all-season tire but Premier LTX is crossover/SUV touring all-season tire.

Both tires are rated pretty high but expensive. Premier LTX has shorter treadwear mainly due to its 8.5/32" tread depth instead of normal 10/32" ~ 11/32" tread depth on a new tire.

I always prefer getting General AltiMAX* RT43 for much lower cost with very good performance. But if you're only getting new tires from Costco instead of tire stores such as Discount Tire or Tire Rack, your choice is very limited and either of these 2 Michelin LTX tires is a good choice. Here's a partial list of tire comparison table for 225/65R17 with customer's ratings from Tire Rack:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

If you are willing to spend ~ $160usd per tire, I am vey impressed with the Continental Sure Contact (from NTB). I am running 255/45/20, which is a higher profile than I usually run (255/40/20, but I had to replace damaged tires in a pinch). The grip is very good, sidewall stiffness is good, and the wet grip is also very good. I used to look forward to the rain so I could turn off tcs and spin but they just grip too much (good)! Before that I was running Toyo Proxes StII (now on STIII), which have superb dry grip, and resistance to camber wear (wet grip is OK), but I think the smallest size in those is R20.

thank you for sharing your insight.

i ended up going with the michelin defender LTX M/S via tire rack shipped free/no tax to my local Mazda dealer who will mount and balance for $60.

with $70 Michelin rebate, the cost isn't crazy expensive.

i wanted a good handling tire which is decent in the rain and winter.

fingers crossed.

thumbs up.

rob

Back