Leather Seat - Is this normal?

Leather used in car seats will get wrinkled no matter what. The positive aspect is that real leather can be repaired. I like the feel and look of it hence why I only buy real leather furniture at home.

That said Mazda's current vinyl is actually good stuff to me. No its not as soft as real leather but its not plasticky like vinyl from the early 2000's and older. I find its tougher and conforms to its original shape better. Its perforated and actually cools off quick too. I use 303 on both leather at home and I believe its helping keep my car vinyl seats looking/feeling as best as it can as well.

Leather used in car seats will get wrinkled no matter what.
Everything will be aged and our skin will be wrinkled when we're getting older. But we're discussing these wrinkled leather seats on a new or one-year-old CX-5's. This's not normal, and that's why Mazda issued a TSB.

I think the TSB bubble in seat is from after complaints. This is not about wrinkles in the bolster or side.

They have no fix yet, and I really believe it was there when i bought the car, i just didn't notice for a few weeks. I think they had a run of leather seats that are slightly out of spec. The TSB shows the seat with a bubble. It supersedes previous TSB and says not to attempt a repair yet.

And it can apply to either seat - so it is unlikely driver wear.

True. Don't have a bubble seat issue here

For comparison, when I was a kid my mom had a Mk2 Jaguar. The leather in that thing was so thick that it felt like sitting on a horse saddle. You could strike a match on that stuff it was so durable. I never saw the car when it was new (I'm not THAT old) but I can imagine, like a pair of good boots, that for the 1st few years those seats probably never even got compressed, much less wrinkled.

No bonded leather there...it was the real deal off of a British cow, hand stitched by some bloke between spots of tea.

Could it be that the the reason for the wrinkling is due to the fact that the cushioning area near the plastic base of seat is not large big enough (uhm)

mm7o6q.jpg

Could it be that the the reason for the wrinkling is due to the fact that the cushioning area near the plastic base of seat is not large big enough (uhm)

mm7o6q.jpg
No, I believe it*s the inside support to the bolster deformed after frequent push during entrance and exit by the driver. I can see some sigh of this on my 30K-mile /3.5-year-old CX-5, but not at 12K miles.

No, I believe it*s the inside support to the bolster deformed after frequent push during entrance and exit by the driver. I can see some sigh of this on my 30K-mile /3.5-year-old CX-5, but not at 12K miles.
The bolster is not thick enough and it's also close to the plastic section of the seat. Combination of things.

For comparison, when I was a kid my mom had a Mk2 Jaguar. The leather in that thing was so thick that it felt like sitting on a horse saddle. You could strike a match on that stuff it was so durable. I never saw the car when it was new (I'm not THAT old) but I can imagine, like a pair of good boots, that for the 1st few years those seats probably never even got compressed, much less wrinkled.

No bonded leather there...it was the real deal off of a British cow, hand stitched by some bloke between spots of tea.

My first car (as a 16 year old!) was a Jaguar E-type. The leather seats in that car were like a leather sofa. And just like a nice leather sofa, it had wrinkles and folds that could swallow your wallet.

Back