Leather Seat - Is this normal?

Leather is leather, while some other areas are non-leather (Maztex) - from a 2014 article:

Mazda spokesman Steve Maciver said there was a simple reason behind the use of *Maztex* man-made replica materials.

*We use Maztex because ultimately it is a harder wearing material than leather,* he said.

*It*s for durability.

*The stuff that your body is in contact with is real leather.*

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/are-your-car-seats-actual-leather-20140330-35sre

Indeed :)

16la106.jpg

Is this normal for 12k miles on a 17GT? What do your side bolsters look like?

That's normal for any car, if its owner "slides" in and out of the seat. Basically, when you swing your leg over that side bolster, you compress the foam and the leather. Same thing happens if you slide out over that bolster. If you condition the leather regularly (about as often as you would vacuum the interior or wax the car), it shouldn't get any worse than that. No way to avoid this unless you lift yourself out of the seat instead of swinging your legs over and sliding out.

16la106.jpg

No, it's definitely not normal for a 12K-mile vehicle. The leather seat with ~30K miles on my 2016 CX-5 GT looks nothing like that. There're several discussions concerning about wrinkled leather seats on gen-2 CX-5's. In fact, there's a TSB for this issue unfortunately the TSB attachment provided by Anchorman is gone after our website upgrade. Some did get Mazda replaced their leather seat covers based on the TSB. You should do the same.

BTW, that wrinkled side bolsters is not leather but the leatherette. Our leather seats are not entirely leather but only on seating surface. Anything not touching our body when we sit on is not leather. Headrests are not leather either.

2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Leather Seat Issue

2017 CX-5 Leather Seat Wrinkling

TSB on wrinkled seats. This is general but the 2017 CX-5 has a slightly different case. They are more like the *baggy* appearance of some leather sofas.

I've only had my brand new 2018 CX-5 for a week, and now the driver's seat is already wrinkling and getting pumpy.

Anyone else having same issue soon after about a week?

Thank you.

attachment.php

I'm the OP. First pic is drivers seat, second in passengers.

f9873889775cef853858b85a4c903ed5.jpg

3a4caf054108d2277da0f0d7bc405f8f.jpg

Why do you say that? I have heard this before and never seen such a thing sold anywhere. Bonded leather is chopped and formed and not leather over vinyl.

Please cite a source for *vinyl with leather added*
Because if you've ever owned anything with real leather you would know that the interior seats are not real leather. That's how I know.
For gen-1 CX-5 the leather seats do feel like synthetic leather or some coating or vinyl on top of the underside leather. They look and feel totally different from the leather seats on my VW Passat and BMW 528i.

But the leather seats on gen-2 CX-5 have different type of leather, they do look and feel more like genuine leather. May be that's why we're having wrinkling issues on gen-2 CX-5's as the new type of the leather stretches too easily.

16la106.jpg

NOT normal. Disregard my earlier post, I thought you were referring to creases on the top part of the bolster. Its way too early for this kind of sagginess. Id complain to your dealer about a manufacturing defect.

Because if you've ever owned anything with real leather you would know that the interior seats are not real leather. That's how I know.

Nonsense. A car company cant sell you Leather seats if no portion of them is real leather. What youre describing is a difference in quality. Rough/coated leathers in cheaper cars, supple leather in luxury cars.

And as others have pointed out, Mazda only puts leather on the part of the seat that touches your body. This is a decades-old trick used by many car companies to save cost. My old CX-7 was the same way.

Nonsense. A car company can*t sell you *Leather* seats if no portion of them is real leather. What you*re describing is a difference in quality. Rough/coated leathers in cheaper cars, supple leather in luxury cars.

And as others have pointed out, Mazda only puts leather on the part of the seat that touches your body. This is a decades-old trick used by many car companies to save cost. My old CX-7 was the same way.

Even the leather in luxury cars tend to be just be another variant of typical automotive leather, unless you pay for an upgrade to semi-aniline. Automakers can specify all kinds of things with regard to texture "suppleness" etc. All still coated because its easier to maintain and holds up to the sun better. Cars with a "performance" image usually go for a tighter feeling. FWIW, semi-aniline is still coated as well. Aniline leather scratches and stains too easily for automotive use.

Wonder if one does moves around in the seat quite a bit might cause that type of creasing (uhm)

Could be? It*s mostly on turns.

I*ll ask when I take the car in again. I*m guessing they will say it*s normal and do nothing about it.

When your there, see if you can look at other used CX-5's and compared those seats to yours.

I still haven't had a chance to look at mine. Will try and report back when I can

Could be? It*s mostly on turns.

I*ll ask when I take the car in again. I*m guessing they will say it*s normal and do nothing about it.
Why? There's a TSB for your issue, and your dealer should search the TSB and replace the leather seat cover for you based on the TSB.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Why? There's a TSB for your issue, and your dealer should search the TSB and replace the leather seat cover for you based on the TSB.

The TSB i saw was for vertical leather surfaces on the back seating surface bolster (vertical part of the seat back you are in contact with) - the fix was to have an upholstery shop iron it. Is there a different TSB?

The TSB i saw was for vertical leather surfaces on the back seating surface bolster (vertical part of the seat back you are in contact with) - the fix was to have an upholstery shop iron it. Is there a different TSB?
Yes, theres a different TSB replacing the wrinkled leather seating surface including the side bolsters. See my previous post.

16la106.jpg

I just checked mine and I have some creasing on the side above the power seat buttons as well. Not as much but it is there.

IMHO it is normal.

I just checked mine and I have some creasing on the side above the power seat buttons as well. Not as much but it is there.

IMHO it is normal.
Thiss only a cosmetic issue a customer can accept such defect which is caused either by leather / leatherette stretching too easily or poor design / workmanship. Ill never say thiss normal. Gen-1 CX-5s including mine have no such issues, and their leather seats have a lot more miles on them.

Back