Leather Seat - Is this normal?

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I noticed today that I am getting a lot of creased on the side of my outside driver's side seat bolster. Is this common with leather interior? I have always had cloth interior, so I never really noticed this. I have currently have 12k miles. There are no cracks, it just looks really worn from the side.

I'm sure it's probably normal, but thought I'd ask if this is a normal leather thing.

Thanks much!

Probably normal since it's not really leather. More like vinyl with a little leather added.

Its normal. That part of the seat gets scrunched every time you get in/out of the car, so its similar to the creases that develop on leather shoes. Use leather conditioner frequently to help. It can get pretty bad otherwise.

Hello!

I have a 2017 CX-5 GT, and I noticed today that I am getting a lot of creased on the side of my outside driver's side seat bolster. Is this common with leather interior? I have always had cloth interior, so I never really noticed this. I have currently have 12k miles. There are no cracks, it just looks really worn from the side.

I'm sure it's probably normal, but thought I'd ask if this is a normal leather thing.

Thanks much!

Should be normal but best to post a clear picture here so we can advise properly

Probably normal since it's not really leather. More like vinyl with a little leather added.

Leather comes in many forms and grades. It is leather and it is typical automotive leather that has a coating on it to ease cleaning. Some luxury cars have semi-aniline as an upgrade (similar to high end furniture grade leather) - very expensive option and a bit fragile.

Last edited:

Why do you say that? I have heard this before and never seen such a thing sold anywhere. Bonded leather is chopped and formed and not leather over vinyl.

Please cite a source for *vinyl with leather added*

Don't know about vinyl being added but this is what Mazda says about it's leather:

vr4qkj.jpg

Don't know about vinyl being added but this is what Mazda says about it's leather:

vr4qkj.jpg

Ok, Ill get a picture tonight! Does anyone else have any creasing on their side bolster? Im assuming this wouldnt be covered under warranty anyway?

Why do you say that? I have heard this before and never seen such a thing sold anywhere. Bonded leather is chopped and formed and not leather over vinyl.

Please cite a source for *vinyl with leather added*

Because if you've ever owned anything with real leather you would know that the interior seats are not real leather. That's how I know.

vr4qkj.jpg

Leather is leather, while some other areas are non-leather (Maztex) - from a 2014 article:

Mazda spokesman Steve Maciver said there was a simple reason behind the use of *Maztex* man-made replica materials.

*We use Maztex because ultimately it is a harder wearing material than leather,* he said.

*It*s for durability.

*The stuff that your body is in contact with is real leather.*

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/are-your-car-seats-actual-leather-20140330-35sre

Back