Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Leather Seat - Is this normal?

  1. #61
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    2,770
    Leather used in car seats will get wrinkled no matter what. The positive aspect is that real leather can be repaired. I like the feel and look of it hence why I only buy real leather furniture at home.

    That said Mazda's current vinyl is actually good stuff to me. No its not as soft as real leather but its not plasticky like vinyl from the early 2000's and older. I find its tougher and conforms to its original shape better. Its perforated and actually cools off quick too. I use 303 on both leather at home and I believe its helping keep my car vinyl seats looking/feeling as best as it can as well.

  2. #62
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,948

    Arrow Leather Seat - Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Leather used in car seats will get wrinkled no matter what.
    Everything will be aged and our skin will be wrinkled when we're getting older. But we're discussing these wrinkled leather seats on a new or one-year-old CX-5's. This's not normal, and that's why Mazda issued a TSB.

  3. #63
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by alphadog00 View Post
    I think the TSB bubble in seat is from after complaints. This is not about wrinkles in the bolster or side.

    They have no fix yet, and I really believe it was there when i bought the car, i just didn't notice for a few weeks. I think they had a run of leather seats that are slightly out of spec. The TSB shows the seat with a bubble. It supersedes previous TSB and says not to attempt a repair yet.

    And it can apply to either seat - so it is unlikely driver wear.
    True. Don't have a bubble seat issue here

  4. #64
    Swollen Member Natey's Avatar
    Donated: $40

    Mazda

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pleasure Point, California
    Posts
    6,455
    For comparison, when I was a kid my mom had a Mk2 Jaguar. The leather in that thing was so thick that it felt like sitting on a horse saddle. You could strike a match on that stuff it was so durable. I never saw the car when it was new (I'm not THAT old) but I can imagine, like a pair of good boots, that for the 1st few years those seats probably never even got compressed, much less wrinkled.

    No bonded leather there...it was the real deal off of a British cow, hand stitched by some bloke between spots of tea.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

  5. #65
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Could it be that the the reason for the wrinkling is due to the fact that the cushioning area near the plastic base of seat is not large big enough


  6. #66
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,948

    Arrow Leather Seat - Is this normal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    Could it be that the the reason for the wrinkling is due to the fact that the cushioning area near the plastic base of seat is not large big enough

    No, I believe it*s the inside support to the bolster deformed after frequent push during entrance and exit by the driver. I can see some sigh of this on my 30K-mile /3.5-year-old CX-5, but not at 12K miles.

  7. #67
    Registered Member Xeler8ing's Avatar

    '18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Down Under..Australia
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No, I believe it*s the inside support to the bolster deformed after frequent push during entrance and exit by the driver. I can see some sigh of this on my 30K-mile /3.5-year-old CX-5, but not at 12K miles.
    The bolster is not thick enough and it's also close to the plastic section of the seat. Combination of things.

  8. #68
    Registered Member

    2014 CX-5 GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    For comparison, when I was a kid my mom had a Mk2 Jaguar. The leather in that thing was so thick that it felt like sitting on a horse saddle. You could strike a match on that stuff it was so durable. I never saw the car when it was new (I'm not THAT old) but I can imagine, like a pair of good boots, that for the 1st few years those seats probably never even got compressed, much less wrinkled.

    No bonded leather there...it was the real deal off of a British cow, hand stitched by some bloke between spots of tea.
    My first car (as a 16 year old!) was a Jaguar E-type. The leather seats in that car were like a leather sofa. And just like a nice leather sofa, it had wrinkles and folds that could swallow your wallet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. FS: P5 OEM Leather Seat Conversion
    By bthai in forum Mazda Protege For Sale
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM
  2. Seat Leather Wrinkles
    By ZoomFive in forum CX-9 Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM
  3. Leather Seat Trade
    By cmoney331 in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM
  4. leather seat... what to use
    By NAYo2002 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 09:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •