What other cars did you look at before getting your CX-5?

I did not visit or test drive any other dealers or cars.
I went through online reviews and CX5 was the sole candidate.
I went to the dealer and after test driving, bought the first one and brought it home in 2013.
since then I have bought 3 more cx5's. I still have not test driven any other suv or cuv such as CRV, RAV4, or Rogue.
Youtube reviews are sufficient for my decision making.

I did not visit or test drive any other dealers or cars.
I went through online reviews and CX5 was the sole candidate.
I went to the dealer and after test driving, bought the first one and brought it home in 2013.
since then I have bought 3 more cx5's. I still have not test driven any other suv or cuv such as CRV, RAV4, or Rogue.
Youtube reviews are sufficient for my decision making.

YouTube reviews and Car and Driver as well as Motortrend were my main research.

YouTube reviews and Car and Driver as well as Motortrend were my main research.

yes, I watch their car reviews on youtube as well.
redline, everyman driver, the fast lane car, edmunds, motorweek, carwow, autoblog...etc

Looked at none. I was coming off of a 2010 Honda Accord lease, and read Car & Driver's 2013 CUV comparison test which the CX won. Did a test drive, and that was it. Leased a 2013 Touring, followed by a 2015 Touring. Lease just ended on the 2015, and I purchased it.

I didn't look at anything else. I had a 2011 Rav4 at the time and I hated it, I was spending at least $1000 every year on repairs, not including maintenance, tires, etc...

I've been working for a Mazda dealer for just about 7 years and as soon as I saw the 2017 CX-5 I knew it was my next ride. I got to drive them frequently when they came out and knew I had to have one. I just left the parts department one afternoon to see our finance manager and said "I want to trade in my Rav4 on a CX-5 GS with AWD". She came back to me a little while later with some numbers and the deal was done.

Great you should provide a benchmark deal for what employee discount is. Specially since you been with them for 7years. There is a thread above pinned.

Great you should provide a benchmark deal for what employee discount is. Specially since you been with them for 7years. There is a thread above pinned.

I'll take a look at my paperwork and reply in that thread! I do believe employee discounts vary dealer to dealer, I don't think there is a set "employee price" across the board.

I'll take a look at my paperwork and reply in that thread! I do believe employee discounts vary dealer to dealer, I don't think there is a set "employee price" across the board.

There was when I worked for Ford. X plan. Hard numbers take em or walk. The trade in value is what cant be quantified.

One car I really wanted to like was the Mitsubishi Outlander. It's a nice looking vehicle and at a decent price, and the local Mitsubishi dealership offers some pretty great deals, but the quality just isn't nearly on par with the other Japanese manufacturers, so we never really seriously considered it.

It should be.

I bought 2018 CX-5 few weeks ago.

I took test drive of
RAV4 - Underpowered. Rejected
CR-V - Good Car with lots of space. Did not give that sporty feeling with the car.
Nissan Rogue - I went to dealership to look at it, Read reviews and didnt take test drive :p

Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback and Forester. People have already talked about the driving dynamics and transmission, but the Mazda CX-5 2018 also looks the beautiful if you do a full walkaround vs. cars in its price range and even of those above. I also could get a three year 0% loan on the car.

CR-V, RAV4, Outback, Impreza and Envision.

I did not want a small displacement turbo. I did not want a CVT. I did not want touch-screen for standard controls.

Coming from a 16 Golf. Before getting my 18 CX5 GT, I drove:

Golf SportWagen - drives like the Golf but much more space. Problem is that you either get the base trim or a sunroof with big design problems. Plus, high maintenance costs.

CR-V - meh. I get why its popular. Practical, Honda, etc. Dont like how it looks, didnt find it that compelling to drive, dont need that much storage.

Insight - Surprisingly nice for a hybrid. Feels like what the civic should have been in design - more classy, less over-designed flash. But, too expensive and I really wanted a hatchback, wagon, or CUV.

Hyundai GT - classy looking, drives nice, but too small and cheap feeling interior.

Ford Escape - why does anyone buy these? Feels like the evolution of the Ford Aerostar minivan. Didnt think it was that interesting to drive.

Acura TSX sportwagon - I loved my 08 TSX, so a more practical TSX seemed appealing. Kinda meh to drive and not very quiet, high maintenance cost = nope.

Considered other wagons and CUVs, but all were too big, expensive, or lacking in features or style.

The CX-5 is just fun enough and practical enough to fit my needs. And the thing looks amazing.

Ford Escape - why does anyone buy these? Feels like the evolution of the Ford Aerostar minivan. Didnt think it was that interesting to drive.

I didn't drive one but I thought that was the speedster of the group?

The CX-5 is just fun enough and practical enough to fit my needs. And the thing looks amazing.
Perfectly stated.

I didn't drive one but I thought that was the speedster of the group?

So did I! I admittedly didnt test it all that hard, because I didnt like how it felt to sit in the darn thing with its plasticky, soul-less interior and knew in about 60 seconds it wasnt the car for me, but I just didnt see anything about it that was remotely compelling.

I can totally get why some people buy CR-Vs and Rogues, but really dont know why anyone buys an Escape.

Havent purchased yet, but CX-5 is at the top of my list. These are the others I*ve been researching:

2019 RAV4 - Won*t even consider the awful current generation, but the refresh is exciting. Unfortunately I find Toyota styling to be pretty bad and will need to see in person. Not sure I dig the rugged look because I*m more of a luxury-sport fan.

2019 Sante Fe - Good features and fresh design, but I*m guessing it*ll be a full bore.

NX300 - Would need to buy used to fit budget. As with Toyota, I*m not sure I can get behind the odd styling. Plus in the brief moment I sat in one, I wasn*t keen on the proportions. I can*t stand cars where the dash feels high. Will probably test drive to see if it*s as bad as I worry.

2018 XC40 - Would need to lease to fit budget. I love the looks, but I hear people are pulling their hair out over the terrible touch screen control of everything.

2019 RDX - Would need to lease to fit budget. I was excited for the refresh, but upon seeing the reviews I*m disappointed in the design. Does not seem elegant or well-thought. Hate the goofy dash.

There*s just nothing out there that grabs my attention like the CX-5.

Last edited:
Havent purchased yet, but CX-5 is at the top of my list. These are the others I*ve been researching:

2019 RAV4 - Won*t even consider the awful current generation, but the refresh is exciting. Unfortunately I find Toyota styling to be pretty bad and will need to see in person. Not sure I dig the rugged look because I*m more of a luxury-sport fan.

2019 Sante Fe - Good features and fresh design, but I*m guessing it*ll be a full bore.

NX300 - Would need to buy used to fit budget. As with Toyota, I*m not sure I can get behind the odd styling. Plus in the brief moment I sat in one, I wasn*t keen on the proportions. I can*t stand cars where the dash feels high. Will probably test drive to see if it*s as bad as I worry.

2018 XC40 - Would need to lease to fit budget. I love the looks, but I hear people are pulling their hair out over the terrible touch screen control of everything.

2019 RDX - Would need to lease to fit budget. I was excited for the refresh, but upon seeing the reviews I*m disappointed in the design. Does not seem elegant or well-thought. Hate the goofy dash.

There*s just nothing out there that grabs my attention like the CX-5.

We looked at the NX as well... great quality but couldn't get past the styling and the tiny cargo area. Didn't even test drive it.

Back