Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What other cars did you look at before getting your CX-5?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Touring

I bought 2018 CX-5 few weeks ago.

I took test drive of
    RAV4 - Underpowered. Rejected
    CR-V - Good Car with lots of space. Did not give that sporty feeling with the car.
    Nissan Rogue - I went to dealership to look at it, Read reviews and didnt take test drive

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring

Honda CR-V, Subaru Outback and Forester. People have already talked about the driving dynamics and transmission, but the Mazda CX-5 2018 also looks the beautiful if you do a full walkaround vs. cars in its price range and even of those above. I also could get a three year 0% loan on the car.

Registered Member

CX-5 Touring w/Premium

CR-V, RAV4, Outback, Impreza and Envision.

I did not want a small displacement turbo. I did not want a CVT. I did not want touch-screen for standard controls.

Registered Member

Golf

Coming from a Ď16 Golf. Before getting my Ď18 CX5 GT, I drove:

Golf SportWagen - drives like the Golf but much more space. Problem is that you either get the base trim or a sunroof with big design problems. Plus, high maintenance costs.

CR-V - meh. I get why itís popular. Practical, Honda, etc. Donít like how it looks, didnít find it that compelling to drive, donít need that much storage.

Insight - Surprisingly nice for a hybrid. Feels like what the civic should have been in design - more classy, less over-designed flash. But, too expensive and I really wanted a hatchback, wagon, or CUV.

Hyundai GT - classy looking, drives nice, but too small and cheap feeling interior.

Ford Escape - why does anyone buy these? Feels like the evolution of the Ford Aerostar minivan. Didnít think it was that interesting to drive.

Acura TSX sportwagon - I loved my Ď08 TSX, so a more practical TSX seemed appealing. Kinda meh to drive and not very quiet, high maintenance cost = nope.

Considered other wagons and CUVs, but all were too big, expensive, or lacking in features or style.

The CX-5 is just fun enough and practical enough to fit my needs. And the thing looks amazing.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Nissan Rogue - rejected.
    Short. Harsh. To the point. LOL

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Short. Harsh. To the point. LOL
    Accurate as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevem70 View Post
    Ford Escape - why does anyone buy these? Feels like the evolution of the Ford Aerostar minivan. Didnít think it was that interesting to drive.
    I didn't drive one but I thought that was the speedster of the group?

The CX-5 is just fun enough and practical enough to fit my needs. And the thing looks amazing.
    Perfectly stated.

Registered Member

Golf

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    I didn't drive one but I thought that was the speedster of the group?
    So did I! I admittedly didnít test it all that hard, because I didnít like how it felt to sit in the darn thing with itís plasticky, soul-less interior and knew in about 60 seconds it wasnít the car for me, but I just didnít see anything about it that was remotely compelling.

I can totally get why some people buy CR-Vs and Rogues, but really donít know why anyone buys an Escape.

2017 BMW X1

Havent purchased yet, but CX-5 is at the top of my list. These are the others I*ve been researching:

2019 RAV4 - Won*t even consider the awful current generation, but the refresh is exciting. Unfortunately I find Toyota styling to be pretty bad and will need to see in person. Not sure I dig the rugged look because I*m more of a luxury-sport fan.

2019 Sante Fe - Good features and fresh design, but I*m guessing it*ll be a full bore.

NX300 - Would need to buy used to fit budget. As with Toyota, I*m not sure I can get behind the odd styling. Plus in the brief moment I sat in one, I wasn*t keen on the proportions. I can*t stand cars where the dash feels high. Will probably test drive to see if it*s as bad as I worry.

2018 XC40 - Would need to lease to fit budget. I love the looks, but I hear people are pulling their hair out over the terrible touch screen control of everything.

2019 RDX - Would need to lease to fit budget. I was excited for the refresh, but upon seeing the reviews I*m disappointed in the design. Does not seem elegant or well-thought. Hate the goofy dash.

There*s just nothing out there that grabs my attention like the CX-5.
    Last edited by jmhumr; 09-11-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Havent purchased yet, but CX-5 is at the top of my list. These are the others I*ve been researching:

2019 RAV4 - Won*t even consider the awful current generation, but the refresh is exciting. Unfortunately I find Toyota styling to be pretty bad and will need to see in person. Not sure I dig the rugged look because I*m more of a luxury-sport fan.

2019 Sante Fe - Good features and fresh design, but I*m guessing it*ll be a full bore.

NX300 - Would need to buy used to fit budget. As with Toyota, I*m not sure I can get behind the odd styling. Plus in the brief moment I sat in one, I wasn*t keen on the proportions. I can*t stand cars where the dash feels high. Will probably test drive to see if it*s as bad as I worry.

2018 XC40 - Would need to lease to fit budget. I love the looks, but I hear people are pulling their hair out over the terrible touch screen control of everything.

2019 RDX - Would need to lease to fit budget. I was excited for the refresh, but upon seeing the reviews I*m disappointed in the design. Does not seem elegant or well-thought. Hate the goofy dash.

There*s just nothing out there that grabs my attention like the CX-5.
    We looked at the NX as well... great quality but couldn't get past the styling and the tiny cargo area. Didn't even test drive it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123