Headlight Assembly

leroy_hack

:
CX-9 Grand Touring 2008
I have a 08 CX-9 Grand Touring. Anyone know where to get headlight assemblies? The plastic on mine is starting to get cloudy and I need to replace it. I'm trying to hold out getting a new car for a little longer as the EV SUV are starting to come out so this CX9 has got to stretch out a little longer. I've tried to clear coat/sanding options and they work for a little while but fade.

The mazda headlight assemblies are $900 per headlamp which seems crazy. There has to be an aftermarket solution somewhere.

TYC makes replacements for the 10-15 model years, but 07-09 are harder to find for some reason. I found them on eBay, priced anywhere from $150-$400 per side.

Another option is a local junk yard, you might be able to find some headlights from wrecked CX-9s.

Have you tried tinting the headlight lenses with a clear ceramic tint? I would wetsand and polish the headlights, then tint them and see how that goes. If that didn't work I'd look into replacing the headlights (or even just the headlight lenses).

I haven't tried the tint option. I tried the wetsanding and clear coat that comes in the kit that you get from the local auto store. It worked for about 4 months and then faded back. I thought about the junkyard option but figured given the age, they would be just as worn out.

Any chance you could post ebay link? My search results don't show anything for 08. Lots of other years but not 08.

TYC makes replacements for the 10-15 model years, but 07-09 are harder to find for some reason. I found them on eBay, priced anywhere from $150-$400 per side.

Another option is a local junk yard, you might be able to find some headlights from wrecked CX-9s.

Have you tried tinting the headlight lenses with a clear ceramic tint? I would wetsand and polish the headlights, then tint them and see how that goes. If that didn't work I'd look into replacing the headlights (or even just the headlight lenses).

I haven't tried the tint option. I tried the wetsanding and clear coat that comes in the kit that you get from the local auto store. It worked for about 4 months and then faded back. I thought about the junkyard option but figured given the age, they would be just as worn out.

Any chance you could post ebay link? My search results don't show anything for 08. Lots of other years but not 08.

Unfortunately, in the quick search I did, I didn't come across any 07-09 housings. Only things like ballasts and rear tail lights.

Another resource is autobody repair shops. Often they have access to a wider database of OEM aftermarket/refurbished parts.

I have not attempted the tint choice, i attempted the wet sanding and clear coat that comes in the unit that you get from the neighborhood auto store, it worked for around 4 months and after that blurred back, i pondered the junkyard alternative however figured given the age, they would be similarly as exhausted...

I have not attempted the tint choice, i attempted the wet sanding and clear coat that comes in the unit that you get from the neighborhood auto store, it worked for around 4 months and after that blurred back, i pondered the junkyard alternative however figured given the age, they would be similarly as exhausted...

The kits that are available at the auto store are usually overpriced and the clear that comes in the kit doesn't hold up well.

If you have any left over sandpaper from that kit, reuse it and do the process again, but this time, buy an aerosol can of automotive clear coat.

After wetsanding, spray each headlight with multiple passes of clear coat. Do a very light coat at first, followed by a slightly heavier coat, followed by two more good coats. Make sure that you wait at least 15-30 minutes between passes to allow the clear coat to dry, otherwise you may get runs and drips in the clear.

After your final pass with the clear coat, let the headlights sit for at least a couple of days to let the clear cure/harden. After that, apply a layer of wax or sealant for additional UV protection. Reapply the wax/sealant every 4-5 months (very easy, just wipe on, let dry, wipe off).

I did this with my 1999 Honda Accord's headlights when they started to get hazy. They looked like this until I traded the car in about five years later.

attachment.php

4968811575_1b7b3c00a7_o.jpg

Back