2003 Protege5 - New Owner

PhilT

:
2003 Protege 5
Picked up a 2003 P5 for my daughter who just got her license. Sweet little car with Auto which is ideal for her first driving experience. Found this car on Craigslist located about 5 miles from my house. The owner drove the car to my house on his way home from work making things very convenient. Test drive went great and the car is in very nice condition with 98K miles. I paid $4200 which is on the high side but the car is very clean and had service receipts including timing belt replacement. Spent the weekend getting the car cleaned up including a wax job, which really makes the dark Blue paint look awesome. I also found out that the car has the optional Supplemental air bags and ABS brakes which I have heard is not that common. Plan to get some new tires although the existing tires still have 60% tread. Plan to do a little preventative maintenance and then hope that the car keeps purring for the next several years!

. I also found out that the car has the optional Supplemental air bags and ABS brakes which I have heard is not that common...

A lot of us have ABS but side impact airbags are quite rare.

... Plan to get some new tires although the existing tires still have 60% tread....

The stock tire size is 195/50 R16 but there isn't much choice in that size and they are more expensive.
205/50 R16's fit perfect with no rubbing and there's way more to choose from with better prices.
(Although your speedo will read about 2-3 m/hr slower than real speed)

...Plan to do a little preventative maintenance and then hope that the car keeps purring for the next several years!

Here's the big list of maintenance to consider...

Welcome to the P5 club.
I hope your daughter loves the car like we do.

Shes gonna love this car, and so are you. I have 185 k miles on my Dark blue 2003 P5 (with AT) and it looks like it has many many more miles to go. Solid car, delightful driver

In the same boatbought one two weeks ago and am going through preventative maintenance with it. Picked it up for 1500. Used to have an LX 2.0 sedan sold it with 270k miles.

Back