Ball joint

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
Is there a ball joint replacement or do I need to replace the lca?

i believe it is possible to replace just the ball joint but 95% of people just get a new lower control arm.

Apparently the new ball joint has to be pressed in and they don't always like to stay there.
They are slightly oversize to fit snug but may not stay in there.

A new LCA isn't too much money and you get new bushings with them but they are kinda difficult to install.
(the bolt holes don't line up until there is weight on the LCA,.. I used my car jack to lift the LCA a bit when it was partially installed.)

Thanks guys!! I do work in a shop that has a press and all but I didnt know if that was the best option or not. Ill pick up a whole front end kit then!

I remember taking my 85' 626 into have a new ball joint put in.
The mechanic had the portable press to push the new oversized ball joint in, right on the car.
But he had the part off kilter when he pressed it in then it just fell out after removing the press/clamp, so he decided to to gas weld it in.
The thing was glowing red hot and all the grease and plastic bushings came boiling out of the top of the brand new ball joint.
Then, sure as s*** the welds eventually broke. I took it somewhere else where they welded it with an arc welder but kept spraying it with water after every tack so as not to cook my next new ball joint.

They weren't exactly supposed to weld that kind of thing so my invoice just said "miscellaneous labor" and they wouldn't warranty their work.

A whole new LCA would have been easier and better but I didn't know any better at the time.

PS... Why didn't Mazda just have the ball joint just bolt on to the LCA like so many other cars. Press-in ball joints are just stupid.

Last edited:
Lots of stuff Mazda does, doesnt make sense. Id go with the whole control arm, not expensive. Did that with the sedan I used to have.

Back