Thread: Engine noise, not sure if normal or not

Registered Member

None

Engine noise, not sure if normal or not

Hey all, recently purchased a 2018 CX-5 Touring. I didn't notice this right away because I had my music playing most days, but while on a road trip when I'm between 1500-2000 RPM with speeds ranging from 55-65 MPH, I've noticed a slightly higher pitched noise that appears to come from the engine. It's very faint, and I tried to see if my girlfriend could hear it, but she couldn't. It's hard to explain, but it's somewhat of a whining higher pitched sound, but very very faint. It only happens at the higher speeds, and seeing that this is my first Mazda I wasn't sure if it's just normal engine noise from the SKYACTIV engine or anything to be concerned about.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2.0 TS+ Soul Red

First of all great purchase, I hope you are happy with it. I drive an 2014 with M/T and I do not recognize this sound. However your car is new, I'd ask the dealer. They might know the sound and can reassure you it's OK or perhaps a bad thing.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

I've noticed a faint high pitch whirring sound at all speeds since new, in our 2018. But take it to the dealer and see what they say. Let us know!

Registered Member

None

Quote Originally Posted by CX5Nut View Post
    I've noticed a faint high pitch whirring sound at all speeds since new, in our 2018. But take it to the dealer and see what they say. Let us know!
    Yeah I bet it's nothing to worry about but figured I'd ask. Whirring would be a good way of describing, but it's so faint that the average person isn't probably aware, and the only reason I noticed it is because it was a higher pitch and didn't occur all the time. Someone on reddit said they had a higher pitched noise (not sure if the same) and mentioned something about the dealership greasing axel or near wheels or something, but it sounds more like from the engine.

Registered Member

None

So today I narrowed it down to about the 55 MPH range. If i get to about 60MPH or above, I can't hear it anymore. Just seems to be around 55 MPH and that's really when I hear it. Did some searching and saw older models had "whining" issues and some said it was seals for the axel, others said they had their trans replaced. Hoping a brand new car doesn't have trans issues.