Diagnal Re-Test on Car-Question! - 2018 CX-9

Nice. I wonder what it would take to retrofit '16 & '17 CX-9s?

Maybe it will be as simple as a module/switch swap as I researched and discovered in the GX 460s earlier this year to add crawl control and MTS?

I asked Car Question whether or not they turned off traction control on the 2016 test. The video shows no indication they did. Of course this is critical to get the most out of off road situations as traction control shuts down torque and wheel spin by design. Awaiting their response.

I bought the 2018 even after seeing the fail video. So this is a nice big bonus knowing the AWD system is actually quite a bit more capable than thought.

That's what our CX9 supposed to be!! I believe the max. torque at low RPM is making it even more effortless finishing the test with flying colors (headbang)

Nice. I wonder what it would take to retrofit '16 & '17 CX-9s?

Maybe it will be as simple as a module/switch swap as I researched and discovered in the GX 460s earlier this year to add crawl control and MTS?

That would be nice if the '16 and '17 CX-9s can be reprogrammed.

That would be nice if the '16 and '17 CX-9s can be reprogrammed.

Can't you just turn off the traction control? Or is that feature not available on those years? I think that is all they did.

There was a claim in the '17 CX-5 diagonal video that there were programming changes to the TCS off setting on the '17 CX-5..... also these would be added later to the CX-9. Apparently these changes also got added to the '18 CX-9

https://youtu.be/xlt11Z4JAB8?t=41

I asked Car Question whether or not they turned off traction control on the 2016 test. The video shows no indication they did. Of course this is critical to get the most out of off road situations as traction control shuts down torque and wheel spin by design. Awaiting their response.

I bought the 2018 even after seeing the fail video. So this is a nice big bonus knowing the AWD system is actually quite a bit more capable than thought.

At the bottom of the video, it shows 'Traction Control: OFF' when the CX-9 completed the test. It failed when 'Traction Control: ON', per the video.

EDIT: Sorry, I read too quickly. Valid question on the 2016 test.

Last edited:
Can't you just turn off the traction control? Or is that feature not available on those years? I think that is all they did.

Car question answered the question in the comments of the new video that they performed the 2016 test with the traction control turned on and also off but they did not note it on the video. One of the Mazda engineers explained why the 2016 CX-9 failed and indicated the algorithm will be updated for the 2018. Looks like the new algorithm worked.

OK, Great!!

So the big question now is....what happens to all of us 2016/2017 model owners?

Can the software for the AWD "brain" be re-flashed for us (by dealers) so our cars become more capable or we're stuck with the old crappy AWD system that miserably failed the initial diagonal tests?

OK, Great!!

So the big question now is....what happens to all of us 2016/2017 model owners?

Can the software for the AWD "brain" be re-flashed for us (by dealers) so our cars become more capable or we're stuck with the old crappy AWD system that miserably failed the initial diagonal tests?

You are stuck with it. I would hesitate to drive if there is any water, snow or sand on the road.

Back