Coolant

Dirty on the outside. My entire engine bay is pretty filthy, so I really should have realized. Poppped the cap off, the fluid was green on the cap.
Pop the coolant reservoir cap off and check the coolant color inside. If it looks greenish, you should fill the FL22 coolant up to the "F" mark soon.

Pop the coolant reservoir cap off and check the coolant color inside. If it looks greenish, you should fill the FL22 coolant up to the "F" mark soon.

I'll have to figure out how that pops off as the cap I found was not directly over the reservoir.

So...when I popped the cap on the actual reservoir, I couldn't even see the fluid.

The res is pretty dirty (on the outside and at this point I am having a hard time even making out if there is any fluid in it). You mentioned taking it out to clean. Can it be taken out without draining the whole cooling system?

So...when I popped the cap on the actual reservoir, I couldn't even see the fluid.

The res is pretty dirty (on the outside and at this point I am having a hard time even making out if there is any fluid in it). You mentioned taking it out to clean. Can it be taken out without draining the whole cooling system?
Don*t have a chance to look my CX-5*s coolant reservoir as it*s wife*s DD. The reservoir should be easy to take out by pulling it up (like my Honda CR-V) or may be by removing a couple of screws. No, no need to drain any coolant and you only lose the coolant in the reservoir when you take it out and clean which is not much anyway in your case. I cleaned my CR-V*s reservoir several times already each time I*m changing the coolant. I use baby bottle brush to clean the reservoir inside with tap water. Judging the odd shape of CX-5*s reservoir, it could be more difficult to remove and clean.

When you refill the coolant, put a little more premixed FL22 above the *F* mark, and check the level several times in the following weeks until the coolant level is stabilized. Top it off to the *F* mark again if needed.

Don*t have a chance to look my CX-5*s coolant reservoir as it*s wife*s DD. The reservoir should be easy to take out by pulling it up (like my Honda CR-V) or may be by removing a couple of screws. No, no need to drain any coolant and you only lose the coolant in the reservoir when you take it out and clean which is not much anyway in your case. I cleaned my CR-V*s reservoir several times already each time I*m changing the coolant. I use baby bottle brush to clean the reservoir inside with tap water. Judging the odd shape of CX-5*s reservoir, it could be more difficult to remove and clean.

When you refill the coolant, put a little more premixed FL22 above the *F* mark, and check the level several times in the following weeks until the coolant level is stabilized. Top it off to the *F* mark again if needed.
Great, thanks. Will dig up my service manual to see how to take it out.

Lool...local dealer wants $36 for a bottle of coolant. I laughed at him.

Can order online, otherwise, is there an equivalent to the Mazda FL-22 premix I can just buy locally?

Lool...local dealer wants $36 for a bottle of coolant. I laughed at him.

Can order online, otherwise, is there an equivalent to the Mazda FL-22 premix I can just buy locally?

I dont think its the popular opinion here, but I ordered the premixed Ravenol FL22 on Amazon. I just needed to top off the reservoir like you. I think it was 12.99 when I bought it, price went up to 14 something now. Too bad Im in Florida, Id just give you the rest of what I didnt use from this bottle lol.

I live in Colorado, and my 2015 Mazda CX-5 (touring, AWD) is approaching 90K miles. The manual states that the FL-22 engine coolant needs to be flushed and refilled at 120K miles, then every 60K miles. The service department at the dealership says that because of CO's extreme summer to winter temperature changes, and the stresses on the engine of driving over the mountains, the engine coolant needs to be changed out every 50K miles. Anyone in Colorado or a state with similar climate/altitude come across this before? I'm not sure if this is legit or not. Thanks. (By the way, I don't live in the mountains, but I do drive over them from Denver to Grand Junction from time to time.)

I live in Colorado, and my 2015 Mazda CX-5 (touring, AWD) is approaching 90K miles. The manual states that the FL-22 engine coolant needs to be flushed and refilled at 120K miles, then every 60K miles. The service department at the dealership says that because of CO's extreme summer to winter temperature changes, and the stresses on the engine of driving over the mountains, the engine coolant needs to be changed out every 50K miles. Anyone in Colorado or a state with similar climate/altitude come across this before? I'm not sure if this is legit or not. Thanks. (By the way, I don't live in the mountains, but I do drive over them from Denver to Grand Junction from time to time.)
Which dealer?

120000 miles seems on the high side. In past cars I have changed extended duration coolant every 5 years w/o problems.

120000 miles seems on the high side. In past cars I have changed extended duration coolant every 5 years w/o problems.
Read your manual. It's also a specific formulation of coolant, its not regular green stuff.

The service department at the dealership says that because of CO's extreme summer to winter temperature changes, and the stresses on the engine of driving over the mountains, the engine coolant needs to be changed out every 50K miles.

Sounds like BS to me. Temp and stress affecting coolant? I lived in the CO mts for 20 years, and never heard anyone make that claim.

I agree with shadonoz thiss purely dealers talk trying to make some extra cash from customers. Especially flushing out engine coolant at 50K miles while the manufacture recommending 120,000-mile change interval? Thats absurd!

However, after seeing clogging issue on heater core reported by some CX-5s recently, I do have concerns on factory recommended long change interval on coolant. It may be a good idea changing our coolant a bit earlier, say 100,000 miles?

I agree with shadonoz this*s purely dealer*s talk trying to make some extra cash from customers. Especially flushing out engine coolant at 50K miles while the manufacture recommending 120,000-mile change interval? That*s absurd!

However, after seeing clogging issue on heater core reported by some CX-5*s recently, I do have concerns on factory recommended long change interval on coolant. It may be a good idea changing our coolant a bit earlier, say 100,000 miles?

That's what I was thinking... the manual says 120K miles, then every 60K miles thereafter. So maybe change it initially at 100K miles, and then every 50K miles thereafter? I'll be at that point in another 10K miles anyway.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my coolant question. I really do appreciate all of your responses and varied opinions. :)

Thank you to everyone who replied to my coolant question. I really do appreciate all of your responses and varied opinions. :)
With many different opinions, I guess you still have to make your own decision based on your own best judgement. ;)

Courtesy Mazda in Longmont
Ok. While you may need a coolant top-up in those 120k miles, I don't see why it would need a full change every 50k miles. I am approaching 78k miles (6 years) on mine, and coolant looks to be in great condition. I used to live up in he mountains and commute to downtown Denver everyday. I still go back up periodically on weekends to visit family. CX-5 has held up well.

Although green, it is not standard green coolant.

Ok. While you may need a coolant top-up in those 120k miles, I don't see why it would need a full change every 50k miles. I am approaching 78k miles (6 years) on mine, and coolant looks to be in great condition. I used to live up in he mountains and commute to downtown Denver everyday. I still go back up periodically on weekends to visit family. CX-5 has held up well.

Although green, it is not standard green coolant.

Thanks. That's pretty applicable to my car and driving conditions.

Back