Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Thank you. I will put a little coolant in. Would rather it be at least closer to between f and l instead of just above l.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Thank you. I will put a little coolant in. Would rather it be at least closer to between f and l instead of just above l.
    Since your coolant in reservoir is low and dirty, you should take it out and throughly clean the inside. Then invest a gallon of Mazda FL22 coolant (~$22) to refill the reservoir to the "F" mark. Depending on the coolant you get, you may need to mix it with 50% of the distilled water. I used to prefer pure coolant but now I prefer the pre-mixed coolant since it's cheaper and much easier to refill or top off the cooling system.

Even if you don't want to clean the reservoir, you still need to add FL22 coolant to the "F" mark when the level is near the "L" mark just like engine oil level. I usually top off any fluids to the "Full" mark if it's below the half between "F" and "L" as I want to have more safety margin and don't want to be living dangerously. BTW, our owner's manual says:

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual
    The coolant should be at full in the radiator and between the L and F marks on the coolant reservoir when the engine is cool.

If it is at or near L, add enough coolant to the coolant reservoir to provide freezing and corrosion protection and to bring the level to F.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Since your coolant in reservoir is low and dirty, you should take it out and throughly clean the inside. Then invest a gallon of Mazda FL22 coolant (~$22) to refill the reservoir to the "F" mark. Depending on the coolant you get, you may need to mix it with 50% of the distilled water. I used to prefer pure coolant but now I prefer the pre-mixed coolant since it's cheaper and much easier to refill or top off the cooling system.

Even if you don't want to clean the reservoir, you still need to add FL22 coolant to the "F" mark when the level is near the "L" mark just like engine oil level. I usually top off any fluids to the "Full" mark if it's below the half between "F" and "L" as I want to have more safety margin and don't want to be living dangerously. BTW, our owner's manual says:
    My understanding is the Mazda Coolant is premixed. Oh and btw stick with OEM coolant as Mazda advised it will not eat OEM hoses. Aftermarket coolant may or may not be compatible. Might be marketing but I wold not take the chance. Coolant lasts for 120k miles so the price isn't too bad.

Colorado, was the reservoir dirty from the inside versus outside?

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    My understanding is the Mazda Coolant is premixed. Oh and btw stick with OEM coolant as Mazda advised it will not eat OEM hoses. Aftermarket coolant may or may not be compatible. Might be marketing but I wold not take the chance. Coolant lasts for 120k miles so the price isn't too bad.

Dirty on the outside. My entire engine bay is pretty filthy, so I really should have realized. Poppped the cap off, the fluid was green on the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post

Although there're many after-market FL22 coolants available, I'd stick with Mazda FL22 coolant too, especially when we do the top off which is mixing with old OEM coolant. My Mazda dealer carries 3 different kind of FL22 OEM coolants. Not sure if they're all premixed or not.
    Last edited by yrwei52; 09-06-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Dirty on the outside. My entire engine bay is pretty filthy, so I really should have realized. Poppped the cap off, the fluid was green on the cap.
    Pop the coolant reservoir cap off and check the coolant color inside. If it looks greenish, you should fill the FL22 coolant up to the "F" mark soon.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Pop the coolant reservoir cap off and check the coolant color inside. If it looks greenish, you should fill the FL22 coolant up to the "F" mark soon.
    I'll have to figure out how that pops off as the cap I found was not directly over the reservoir.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

So...when I popped the cap on the actual reservoir, I couldn't even see the fluid.

The res is pretty dirty (on the outside and at this point I am having a hard time even making out if there is any fluid in it). You mentioned taking it out to clean. Can it be taken out without draining the whole cooling system?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Arrow Coolant

So...when I popped the cap on the actual reservoir, I couldn't even see the fluid.

The res is pretty dirty (on the outside and at this point I am having a hard time even making out if there is any fluid in it). You mentioned taking it out to clean. Can it be taken out without draining the whole cooling system?
    Don*t have a chance to look my CX-5*s coolant reservoir as it*s wife*s DD. The reservoir should be easy to take out by pulling it up (like my Honda CR-V) or may be by removing a couple of screws. No, no need to drain any coolant and you only lose the coolant in the reservoir when you take it out and clean which is not much anyway in your case. I cleaned my CR-V*s reservoir several times already each time I*m changing the coolant. I use baby bottle brush to clean the reservoir inside with tap water. Judging the odd shape of CX-5*s reservoir, it could be more difficult to remove and clean.

When you refill the coolant, put a little more premixed FL22 above the *F* mark, and check the level several times in the following weeks until the coolant level is stabilized. Top it off to the *F* mark again if needed.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Don*t have a chance to look my CX-5*s coolant reservoir as it*s wife*s DD. The reservoir should be easy to take out by pulling it up (like my Honda CR-V) or may be by removing a couple of screws. No, no need to drain any coolant and you only lose the coolant in the reservoir when you take it out and clean which is not much anyway in your case. I cleaned my CR-V*s reservoir several times already each time I*m changing the coolant. I use baby bottle brush to clean the reservoir inside with tap water. Judging the odd shape of CX-5*s reservoir, it could be more difficult to remove and clean.

When you refill the coolant, put a little more premixed FL22 above the *F* mark, and check the level several times in the following weeks until the coolant level is stabilized. Top it off to the *F* mark again if needed.
    Great, thanks. Will dig up my service manual to see how to take it out.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Lool...local dealer wants $36 for a bottle of coolant. I laughed at him.

Can order online, otherwise, is there an equivalent to the Mazda FL-22 premix I can just buy locally?

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Lool...local dealer wants $36 for a bottle of coolant. I laughed at him.

Can order online, otherwise, is there an equivalent to the Mazda FL-22 premix I can just buy locally?
    I donít think itís the popular opinion here, but I ordered the premixed Ravenol FL22 on Amazon. I just needed to top off the reservoir like you. I think it was 12.99 when I bought it, price went up to 14 something now. Too bad Iím in Florida, Iíd just give you the rest of what I didnít use from this bottle lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12