Can the sliders be lubed without disassembling the brakes?

You mean the guide pins? You could probably slide them back but by taking two bolts out you can take them out. Why would you want to though?

You mean the guide pins? You could probably slide them back but by taking two bolts out you can take them out. Why would you want to though?

The reason I ask is - My CX-5 is going in for service in a week or too and I would like to get them greased. Seems like a good idea to keep them lubed so they don't jam up.
Last time I had my wife's Honda in for service I asked them to lube the pins and they wanted $129.00. Said they had to dis-assemble the brakes.

Not sure I understand you question -- (why would you want to though)? To keep them from locking up and ruining the pads and/or calipers.

Yes. Just slide the caliper up a little and you're golden.

attachment.php

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
If you just want to lube the pins then you would not have to disassemble the brakes. You could just take off the the wheel. Then using a 14mm socket take out the bolts at the end of the slider pins. I would just remove one at a time. Then pivot the calliper enough to remove that pin. Lube and reinstall, and torque down 14 mm bolt to 20 to 25 lb-ft. then remove the other. pivot the other way, and repeat.

I lubricated the slider pins on our 2015 Mazda 3 last year but discovered this year that the problem was actually the ends of the pads jamming against the shims. Perhaps it's our salty roads, but personally, I'd strip them down and lubricate everything properly.

Back