2016 CX-5 Brake Noises

So today I went up in person and talked to the same service advisor I've been dealing with (I've been handling this for my Dad) and he referred me to the service manager. I printed out the TSB and showed it to the service manager, who was not familiar with it, but was very apologetic, and immediately ordered in all the parts needed to address the TSB. He was very understanding and easy to deal with, he didn't give me any type of runaround. Very nice guy. So as soon as the parts come in, they will call me and give me a loaner while they perform the repairs and hopefully it stops the noise. Thanks again everyone.
My service advisor said there was no TSB for CX5 rear brakes until I showed her, you'd think they would know to look this stuff up, not have a customer come in and show them.

It's a possibility, not a certainty
IMO, this's a certainty. But the severity may be different. We've seen some the rear brake dragging to a point the brake is heating up and gets locked up on the highway. Mine I couldn't feel anything wrong but the outer brake pad on both side did wear more than the inner when you actually check the pad thickness. Many people may not aware the issue, unless he or she persists to press on the noise issue, or some just write it off getting a set of new pads and wondering why the rear pads worn out so early.

So today I went up in person and talked to the same service advisor I've been dealing with (I've been handling this for my Dad) and he referred me to the service manager. I printed out the TSB and showed it to the service manager, who was not familiar with it, but was very apologetic, and immediately ordered in all the parts needed to address the TSB. He was very understanding and easy to deal with, he didn't give me any type of runaround. Very nice guy. So as soon as the parts come in, they will call me and give me a loaner while they perform the repairs and hopefully it stops the noise. Thanks again everyone.
Your service manager certainly did the right thing and replacing the whole rear brakes with revised calipers. Hope the noise issue can be resolved after the replacement. Please report back the result.

IMO, this's a certainty. But the severity may be different. We've seen some the rear brake dragging to a point the brake is heating up and gets locked up on the highway. Mine I couldn't feel anything wrong but the outer brake pad on both side did wear more than the inner when you actually check the pad thickness. Many people may not aware the issue, unless he or she persists to press on the noise issue, or some just write it off getting a set of new pads and wondering why the rear pads worn out so early.

This also happened on earlier models with the manual release, I think it's just a quirk of this model which annoys the hell out of me. If you check the TSB on page 4, the picture shows "normal wear" where the outer pad has slightly more wear than the inboard one. Would you settle for it being a certain possibility then?

Just looked, the ole girls 16.5 falls under the VIN numbers. Having her take it up to the local dealer with the TSB to see what they say. I expect they'll give her the runaround, and then I guess I'll be taking it up there myself to get them to replace it.

I don't feel to much grabbing of sorts, but it sure does make more noise than it should for a car with 9k miles on the clock. I'll check the pad and disc wear myself tonight to give her a heads up of what they should say...

I am screwed. I cant even get my dealer to fix the chrome AC vents and make it black (from 2015 MY) 4 attempts and 4 times they either dont have parts / used up the parts / have the parts but tell me after service they forgot - bring it back again (its 20 miles from home !!. Chances are they will not even entertain it and say mine looks ok. I will bring this up next time I go there in 3k Miles. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This also happened on earlier models with the manual release, I think it's just a quirk of this model which annoys the hell out of me. If you check the TSB on page 4, the picture shows "normal wear" where the outer pad has slightly more wear than the inboard one. Would you settle for it being a certain possibility then?
Earlier CX-5 without EPB are having different issues on rear brakes such as lack of lubricant on caliper pins and rust issues which would cause the noise and premature wear-out on pads.

For 2016 CX-5 with EPB the original TSB's for this EPB brake dragging issue, R052/16A and R052/16B, are to replace EPB control module with software/firmware changes which apparently is not effective to resolve the problem. Mazda eventually had to go more expensive way and modify the hardware, the ball and ramp, to improve the accuracy of screw threads within the EPB mechanism which is part of rear brake caliper to make sure EPB can get complete release every time. To me, this's a design issue. This "insufficient accuracy" of the screw threads of the ball and ramp is not the manufacture tolerance issure like some member used to insist. And he later also found he needed the revised calipers to fix his rear brakes on his 2016 CX-5.

Unfortunately this issue is not like LED DRLs where people can easily see it fails. Not every 2016 CX-5 owner can tell there's an issue on EPB dragging including me.

So to me, this issue is a certainty but the severity is different.

I am screwed. I cant even get my dealer to fix the chrome AC vents and make it black (from 2015 MY) 4 attempts and 4 times they either dont have parts / used up the parts / have the parts but tell me after service they forgot - bring it back again (its 20 miles from home !!. Chances are they will not even entertain it and say mine looks ok. I will bring this up next time I go there in 3k Miles. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Which Mazda dealer do you usually go? I didn't bother to replace those during my last warranty service, and I just ignore the reflection of chrome AC vents on rearview mirrors. :)

My Mazda dealer, Town North Mazda in DFW area is very reasonable although the tech screwed me up several items whe I took my 2016 CX-5 in for last-chance warranty service. The tech originally thought my rear brakes are fine. I had to talk to a master tech and he felt my rear brakes did meet the criteria of the TSB and replaced everything for me.

Which Mazda dealer do you usually go? I didn't bother to replace those during my last warranty service, and I just ignore the reflection of chrome AC vents on rearview mirrors. :)

My Mazda dealer, Town North Mazda in DFW area is very reasonable although the tech screwed me up several items whe I took my 2016 CX-5 in for last-chance warranty service. The tech originally thought my rear brakes are fine. I had to talk to a master tech and he felt my rear brakes did meet the criteria of the TSB and replaced everything for me.

FREEMAN MAZDA OF TEXAS !!! ON THE bad 183. Only one I found nearby that had the Moly.

FREEMAN MAZDA OF TEXAS !!! ON THE bad 183. Only one I found nearby that had the Moly.
Town North Mazda is not that far away and they always have Moly in stock! :)

I've been experiencing the same issue (inconsistent screeching noise when braking) and finally after 2 years of trying to figure out what it is (and replacing brakes and rotors twice), I have been told it's the rubber bushings in the lower front control arm. Googling further, I came across this article: https://www.cars.com/articles/2013-2016-mazda-front-end-issue-1420690184998/ -- which actually states that it is a known issue with a defective control arm! I am beyond myself for not being informed about this by Mazda and/or the dealership. Hope this helps.

Edited to add: it's not calipers. It's not inner tie rods or outer tie rods. It's the bushings. Took so long to diagnose!

Last edited:
Just looked, the ole girls 16.5 falls under the VIN numbers. Having her take it up to the local dealer with the TSB to see what they say. I expect they'll give her the runaround, and then I guess I'll be taking it up there myself to get them to replace it.

I don't feel to much grabbing of sorts, but it sure does make more noise than it should for a car with 9k miles on the clock. I'll check the pad and disc wear myself tonight to give her a heads up of what they should say...

Its quite easy to test if your CX5 is affected and put your mind at ease, at least for now. As per the TSB:

Stop the car, push your foot firmly on the brake, and engage the EPB. Release the foot brake, and gently accelerate away. If there is a noticeable dip in the rear of the car to one side (and it is VERY noticeable), then the problem exists on that car and the TSB applies and thats the proof to have the dealer replace calipers, discs etc as per TSB.

I am on good terms with the foreman at my local dealership and he tells me, after mine were replaced, that they only occasionally see cars in for this issue. Ive got no reason to disbelieve him.

As has been reported in this forum numerous times, CX5 is Australia*s top selling SUV, and if this problem was as certain to happen as some would have you believe, there would be looooong lines of CX5*s waiting to be fixed out the door and up the street from every Mazda dealer in this country. And our motoring media here would be all over it.

But there is no actual evidence of that at all.

Hi, were you also experiencing loud squeaking when reversing or only when driving forward intermittently? My dealer has replaced the rear breakes under the TSB but the problem still presists. Just wondering if that TSB you stated is the correction for the rear issue.

Pads sometimes squeal in reverse, especially when damp. It*s really nothing to worry about and if they fix it with new parts it*ll probably come back again.

So I should update this. The parts took a while to come in, but when they did, the dealer called me up, had me bring the car up, gave me a loaner and replaced both calipers. Thru kept the car for a few days to ensure the noise wouldn't return, and then have it back to me on Monday. The noise has gone away, so those calipers were definitely the issue. My dad is very happy with the car and enjoying it a lot more now that it isn't making that noise.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped out.

So I should update this. The parts took a while to come in, but when they did, the dealer called me up, had me bring the car up, gave me a loaner and replaced both calipers. Thru kept the car for a few days to ensure the noise wouldn't return, and then have it back to me on Monday. The noise has gone away, so those calipers were definitely the issue. My dad is very happy with the car and enjoying it a lot more now that it isn't making that noise.

Thanks to everyone who replied and helped out.
Well, thanks for the update and were glad your brake noise problem seems to get resolved with revised rear calipers. Your Mazda dealer treats you very well!

I wanted to do a quick update on this thread. The CX-5 still makes this noise every once in awhile. It has become more of a minor nuisance then anything else as opposed to it happening every time you took off from a stop. I may just live with it at this point, but it is rather disappointing that it never fully went away. Have there been any revised technical service bulletins released regarding this issue?

I just posted a thread regarding my 2018 CX-5 with rear caliper failure, only 2500 miles on the car! So this is still apparently an issue even on the new cars. They replaced left rear caliper, both rotors and pads and the issue has gone away for now but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I just posted a thread regarding my 2018 CX-5 with rear caliper failure, only 2500 miles on the car! So this is still apparently an issue even on the new cars. They replaced left rear caliper, both rotors and pads and the issue has gone away for now but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

That is interesting. I'm having my dad keep a close eye on his.

Back