2016 CX-5 Brake Noises

JRM1022

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Hello all, I'm new here. Last month I talked my Dad into buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring with Moonroof and Bose Speaker Package. It's a beautiful car and has a lot of great features. It has around 25,000 miles on it. I talked him out of buying a used CR-V and talked him into the Mazda CX-5 instead.

However, since he has bought it, there has been relentless brake noise. It has been back to the dealership 4 times and the issue still isn't resolved. The first time, it was just squealing at low speeds. So the dealership put new front pads and rotors on it. That fixed the squealing, but then there was a really, really bad grinding noise coming from the rear, 75% of the time at low speeds. There was no pattern that caused it to make the noise. So he took it back again, and they said the rear brake caliper brackets were not correct and replaced them. The grinding noise then went away for about a day and half and cane back, though not as frequent or as audible. So he took it back again and they said the rear brake hardware kit was installed improperly so they removed it and reinstalled a new kit. Again the noise went away for a day or so and has now come back. It comes and goes very randomly and only lasts one to several seconds at a time.

Now my father is getting extremely aggravated with his new car and the seemingly incompetent technicians at the dealership. He has only had it a month and it has made noise nearly nonstop. The car is certified, so the repairs haven't cost anything, but the aggravation of spending $20k on a car and having it make a ton of noise is very upsetting. Anyone have any suggestions or experience anything similar?

Sure sounds odd to me...

Any idea on the previous history of the vehicle as far as where it was from, previous rental, accidents etc.?

Is it a FWD or AWD?

Do you have another Mazda dealer close by that you can bring it to?

Sure sounds odd to me...

Any idea on the previous history of the vehicle as far as where it was from, previous rental, accidents etc.?

Is it a FWD or AWD?

It was not a rental and has not been in any accidents according to the Carfax. It was sold as a brand new vehicle from the same dealership my dad bought it from. It is a Mazda Certified Pre-Owned, and it's still under the factory original bumper to bumper warranty as well. It is AWD. There are other Mazda dealers around, so that may be the next move to take it to a different dealer.

Hello all, I'm new here. Last month I talked my Dad into buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring with Moonroof and Bose Speaker Package. It's a beautiful car and has a lot of great features. It has around 25,000 miles on it. I talked him out of buying a used CR-V and talked him into the Mazda CX-5 instead.

However, since he has bought it, there has been relentless brake noise. It has been back to the dealership 4 times and the issue still isn't resolved. The first time, it was just squealing at low speeds. So the dealership put new front pads and rotors on it. That fixed the squealing, but then there was a really, really bad grinding noise coming from the rear, 75% of the time at low speeds. There was no pattern that caused it to make the noise. So he took it back again, and they said the rear brake caliper brackets were not correct and replaced them. The grinding noise then went away for about a day and half and cane back, though not as frequent or as audible. So he took it back again and they said the rear brake hardware kit was installed improperly so they removed it and reinstalled a new kit. Again the noise went away for a day or so and has now come back. It comes and goes very randomly and only lasts one to several seconds at a time.

Now my father is getting extremely aggravated with his new car and the seemingly incompetent technicians at the dealership. He has only had it a month and it has made noise nearly nonstop. The car is certified, so the repairs haven't cost anything, but the aggravation of spending $20k on a car and having it make a ton of noise is very upsetting. Anyone have any suggestions or experience anything similar?
madar is correct. Your dealer should replace the whole rear brakes with revised rear calipers, new brake pads and rotors based on the TSB R052/16C Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging. 2016 CX-5 with the electric parking brake (EPB) may exhibit the rear brake dragging resulting in brake noise and the outer disc pad abnormally worn out. Or the vehicle may roll momentarily when starting from a standstill with the EPB applied as the EPB is not automatically released for both wheels at the same time. This's a common problem due to insufficient accuracy of the screw threads of the ball and ramp on rear EPB component which is build-in with rear brake caliper. The original calipers on both sides have to be replaced with revised version to resolve the issue. My Mazda dealer is fully aware this issue and has performed this TSB on many 2016 CX-5's including mine.

Sure sounds odd to me...

Is it a FWD or AWD?

Might have something to do with the electronic rear parking brake not releasing correctly, doesn't sound like your dealer is aware of this TSB as mine wasn't (read through the attached thread) . What Pa. dealer did you get this from if I may ask?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-Bulletins)&p=6594459&viewfull=1#post6594459

Thank you very much. I know the calipers haven't been replaced as there is surface rust on them, consistent with them being original to the car. I'll be sure to point this out to the dealer when I take it back again tomorrow. The dealership is Cochran Mazda in Wexford PA. Thanks again.

Thank you very much. I know the calipers haven't been replaced as there is surface rust on them, consistent with them being original to the car. I'll be sure to point this out to the dealer when I take it back again tomorrow. The dealership is Cochran Mazda in Wexford PA. Thanks again.
Print the TSB R052/16C and show it to your dealer. Insist them to replace the rear brakes with not only revised calipers, but also new brake pads and rotors on both sides.

Last edited:
Can anyone please provide a link to that TSB? I've been googling it and can't find one.

So I just looked into this a little more. The TSB says it affects vehicles with VINs from JM3KE6-JM3KE8.

My dad's car's VIN is JM3KE4. Any ideas?

Disregard, I lied. I was reading consecutively. The last 6 of his Vin begins 695***. So his car is affected. Now to convince the service advisor...

So I just looked into this a little more. The TSB says it affects vehicles with VINs from JM3KE6-JM3KE8.

My dad's car's VIN is JM3KE4. Any ideas?
Baesd on TSB R052/16C the VIN range for affected US 2016 CX-5's are "JM3 KE **** ** 600015" ~ "JM3 KE **** ** 866136". Those asterisks are some alphanumerics in VIN to be ignored. Just look at the last 6 digits of the VIN. Your 2016 CX-5 should be in range.

Baesd on TSB R052/16C the VIN range for affected US 2016 CX-5's are "JM3 KE **** ** 600015" ~ "JM3 KE **** ** 866136". Those asterisks are some alphanumerics in VIN to be ignored. Just look at the last 6 digits of the VIN. Your 2016 CX-5 should be in range.

This crap worries me as my VIN is in that range. I do hear break squel but its random and not excessive - like if i am in stop and go for 25 minutes or so. Plus the devil in me wants a free brake pad + caliper so I only fork out for front in the future. Should i start driving with EPB engaged to see if my car is affected??

Disregard, I lied. I was reading consecutively. The last 6 of his Vin begins 695***. So his car is affected. Now to convince the service advisor...

You shouldn't have to "convince" him, he has no option.

This crap worries me as my VIN is in that range. I do hear break squel but its random and not excessive - like if i am in stop and go for 25 minutes or so. Plus the devil in me wants a free brake pad + caliper so I only fork out for front in the future. Should i start driving with EPB engaged to see if my car is affected??
In my situation my wife and I have always been using manual release on EPB before moving. But my rear pads did show enough evidence of uneven wear although there was no noise. IMO if you read the TSB the EPB components on original rear calipers will cause dragging issue more or less due to insufficient manufacture tolerance. That's why Mazda had to redesign the EPB parts with more precise tolerance hence the revised rear calipers.

In my situation my wife and I have always been using manual release on EPB before moving. But my rear pads did show enough evidence of uneven wear although there was no noise. IMO if you read the TSB the EPB components on original rear calipers will cause dragging issue more or less due to insufficient manufacture tolerance. That's why Mazda had to redesign the EPB parts with more precise tolerance hence the revised rear calipers.

So you are saying is - if your car falls in that VIN range - sooner or later you are screwed. Or atleast will need new calipers and brakes in rear. Hmmm. Thats an issue.

So you are saying is - if your car falls in that VIN range - sooner or later you are screwed. Or atleast will need new calipers and brakes in rear. Hmmm. Thats an issue.

It's a possibility, not a certainty

So today I went up in person and talked to the same service advisor I've been dealing with (I've been handling this for my Dad) and he referred me to the service manager. I printed out the TSB and showed it to the service manager, who was not familiar with it, but was very apologetic, and immediately ordered in all the parts needed to address the TSB. He was very understanding and easy to deal with, he didn't give me any type of runaround. Very nice guy. So as soon as the parts come in, they will call me and give me a loaner while they perform the repairs and hopefully it stops the noise. Thanks again everyone.

Back