Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto care (washing/cleaning)

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    One thread is a guy with peeling clearcoat saying "Screw Mazda and their crappy paint", and the other is full of people telling you to pressure wash your paint job.
    A lot of difference - the poster washed his car 100 times a year with waxing it twice. I washed mine 7 times in 2 years. The poster had no idea of how it was washed - presumably by someone doing a large volume of cars every week.
    The OP does not have a paint job - his is factory paint so no accidents / body repair afaik.

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Name brands matter about as much as hair shampoo name brands...they don't.
    Personally, I disagree, and here's why:

Waxes and sealants will all do the same thing for the most part, which is protect the paint from UV exposure and provide some limited protection against contaminants. However, the different formulations in waxes/sealants/coatings lead to differences in application, hydrophobicity, and durability.

In addition, Simple Green works great for cleaning the interior, but I would still use 303 as a protectant. Some years ago, Lexus had a TSB regarding melting dashboards. Owners who had this issue were either able to keep it from occurring by treating with 303 or by using ceramic tint. That should illustrate how well it protects against UV damage.

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Yes, I don't want to take too long washing the car either. Did you buy one of those "guns" you can use to spray on the soap? Which one do you have or do you have one that you can recommend?
    I just bought a cheap $20 snow foam attachment for my pressure washer on amazon. There are some that you have to use with a pressure washer, and others that you can use with a garden hose. Generally, the more expensive ones are built a little better, which means they will last longer.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    Opposite of simple was my post back in March prepping my car for ceramic coating. :-)
    Wow! That's too much. You're too much, Felt_Rider. I commend you but I'm afraid, I would somehow manage to scratch up my car with so much involved.

Wow...

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    Wow! That's too much. You're too much, Felt_Rider. I commend you but I'm afraid, I would somehow manage to scratch up my car with so much involved.

Wow...
    Don't let it intimidate you. I spent a lot of time reading on Detailed Image, Autogeek and Autotopia detailing, as well as, watching a lot of YouTube videos. When my wife watches HGTV and Hallmark that's what I watch on the ipad.

The big thing, and someone mentioned it earlier, is learning proper washing techniques as a basic. Otherwise if you're not careful you can potentially use the grit that is on the car to scratch swirl marks into the clear coat. So the first step is gently removing the dirt as carefully as possible. Presoaking the car with foamy soap supposedly binds to a lot of the dirt and helps that first bit come off. Then move to the two bucket wash method. Another easy step, not exactly cheap, is using Iron-X to decontaminate the paint even a bit more. I have bought a lot of MF towels and wash mitts that I change often through the steps and run them through the wash machine later to keep them clean for the next car detailing.

Look into and ease into you will find out it is not too intimidating and once you get to the point of using clay or a nano-mitt and you feel how silky smooth the paint can get you will step back in awe of your effort. After that it is your choice on how to protect using wax, sealant or coating. You can use a sealant like Optiseal and it is far easier to use than wax and will last longer than wax. It basically flashes once it hits the paint and you can simply and lightly wipe with the clean MF towel without having to use a lot of physical effort like a wax.

I sort of a newbie to it all as well. This last time I went the extra steps so I could use a coating.

edit: and you don't need a polisher like I used. I was experimenting with a pre-coating polish. It worked great, but was not necessary.
    Last edited by Felt_Rider; 09-04-2018 at 06:34 PM.

Donated: $20

Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Personally, I disagree, and here's why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETRtFEA7gc8

Waxes and sealants will all do the same thing for the most part, which is protect the paint from UV exposure and provide some limited protection against contaminants. However, the different formulations in waxes/sealants/coatings lead to differences in application, hydrophobicity, and durability.

In addition, Simple Green works great for cleaning the interior, but I would still use 303 as a protectant. Some years ago, Lexus had a TSB regarding melting dashboards. Owners who had this issue were either able to keep it from occurring by treating with 303 or by using ceramic tint. That should illustrate how well it protects against UV damage.

I just bought a cheap $20 snow foam attachment for my pressure washer on amazon. There are some that you have to use with a pressure washer, and others that you can use with a garden hose. Generally, the more expensive ones are built a little better, which means they will last longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anPxTluiYus

I'm sure there are a lot of people on the hairdressing forum that will tell me that I'm wrong then link videos comparing Paul Mitchell to Prell, but my point is they both do the same thing: clean your hair better than hand soap or dishwashing soap. There's no real need to get fancy at Pep Boys.
    I'd never take a pressure washer to my paint job so I cant comment on the cannons, but the reason I've always used simple green is because it's cheap, available anywhere, non toxic, biodegradable, and you can water it down to the strength you need.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I'm 80 years old and I go to the do-it-myself car wash. Soap wash>rinse>no streak rinse and drive to dry. Wax with NuFinish once a year (maybe Hood twice) and the car looks great after 8 years when I usually sell. I save my energy for the oil & filter changes. Ed

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I'm sure there are a lot of people on the hairdressing forum that will tell me that I'm wrong then link videos comparing Paul Mitchell to Prell, but my point is they both do the same thing: clean your hair better than hand soap or dishwashing soap. There's no real need to get fancy at Pep Boys.
    I'd never take a pressure washer to my paint job so I cant comment on the cannons, but the reason I've always used simple green is because it's cheap, available anywhere, non toxic, biodegradable, and you can water it down to the strength you need.
    I get your point, I'm just saying that I personally think it's good to know that there are differences and to understand what they are. If two 1L bottles of soap are priced the same and perform the same, but bottle A provides 25 more washes because it requires less product per wash, I'm going to buy bottle A. I like to know where my dollar is going.

You're right though, there's no real "need" to use this or that. One might work better than the other at the same price point, but if that doesn't matter to the buyer, no big deal.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

One thread is a guy with peeling clearcoat saying "Screw Mazda and their crappy paint", and the other is full of people telling you to pressure wash your paint job.
    There's nothing wrong with using a pressure washer on your car. You'll have to use a lil common sense (not so common I know) while doing so. It doesn't take a genius to know that you shouldn't get the pressure wand too close to the paint otherwise you risk damage. Using a pressure washer saves time and water and it does a much better job of rinsing.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with using a pressure washer on your car. You'll have to use a lil common sense (not so common I know) while doing so. It doesn't take a genius to know that you shouldn't get the pressure wand too close to the paint otherwise you risk damage. Using a pressure washer saves time and water and it does a much better job of rinsing.
    My paint is already in rough shape so I don't care so much these days, however if I had a new car, it would get a properly used touchless pressure washer first to get all the dirt and grit off before I ever washed it with touch.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

I just use a hose sprayer. With a pressure washer, even if its a household one, a momentary lapse in technique or attention can easily bring the wand down wrong. I think your guys in a parking lot types use it because it'll get bugs and bird poop off faster, but I'm not sure that's the best way to tackle those anyway.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

The pressure washer that I have is electric so not super powerful. I only use it if I am doing a more detailed wash using the foam cannon since the hose is already hooked up to the PW. I just make sure I have the right nozzle and stand back from the car a few feet. It really came in handy when I had mold & mildew around the hatch hinges (I now try not to park near trees at work). I could not clean that out with a mitt or by hand. The PW cleaned it out super quick and I was surprised at how much came out of some the body panel joints that did not come out with a regular hose. I also use boars hair brushes to go around those tough areas and again it is surprising how much dirt comes out of those areas. Every step I take I try to be cautious about the paint and it seems like the CX-5 paint for the 2014 was thin with a lot of orange peel. My wife's new Honda is not the greatest paint either, but it seems much better than the quality of my CX-5.

When I decided to jump into DIY detail for the CX-5 I had two goals.
    1. I tend to buy new cars, pay them off immediately or in a year then drive them until they are usually not worth much. If I keep the car looking like new it helps me not get new car fever.
    2. I wanted to practice and get better at detailing with a throw away type car so that if I ever do step up to Porsche or other higher end I will feel more comfortable detailing it myself.

Detailing is tough work and I can see why the good Pros get over $1K to detail a car. I am far from having pro skills, but to me it super rewarding after the DIY effort and that makes it worthwhile IMO when I step back and see the end result. The bad thing is that both the CX-5 and my wife's car are white so they really do not pop like a darker color paint that is corrected and detailed.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    I just use a hose sprayer. With a pressure washer, even if its a household one, a momentary lapse in technique or attention can easily bring the wand down wrong. I think your guys in a parking lot types use it because it'll get bugs and bird poop off faster, but I'm not sure that's the best way to tackle those anyway.
    Of course you can mess up your paint with 'a momentary lapse in technique or attention' when using a pressure washer. You can also mess up your paint with the nozzle on the end of the hose if you're not careful. (most are made of metal and if you're inattentive you can scratch your paint with it) You can even mess up your paint with the water hose if you're not careful.

I've been using a pressure washer to wash my vehicles for over 20 years and the only incident I've had was when I tried to rinse a bit of soap from my hand and I got the tip of the wand too close to my skin. I've also used a pressure washer to wash my RV. Have you ever seen how many decals there are on a RV? Never had an issue with decals getting pealed off either.

YMMV

Registered Member

2017 CX5 GT AWD Premium

Of course you can mess up your paint with 'a momentary lapse in technique or attention' when using a pressure washer. You can also mess up your paint with the nozzle on the end of the hose if you're not careful. (most are made of metal and if you're inattentive you can scratch your paint with it) You can even mess up your paint with the water hose if you're not careful.

I've been using a pressure washer to wash my vehicles for over 20 years and the only incident I've had was when I tried to rinse a bit of soap from my hand and I got the tip of the wand too close to my skin. I've also used a pressure washer to wash my RV. Have you ever seen how many decals there are on a RV? Never had an issue with decals getting pealed off either.

YMMV
    +1...100% agree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12