Alarm randomly going off

:
2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT
My son took over my 2009 CX-9 after I bought a 2016 CX-5. In the past two months, he has been unable to lock the driver's side door without the alarm randomly sounding. It is annoying us, and our neighbors, to no end. We would love to be able to lock his car at night, but haven't been able to. There are no other electronic issues at all. We don't want to fix the alarm, we just want to disconnect/disable it. Is this possible without having to take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money for this? We tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that did nothing to stop it from happening. We have changed batteries in the key fobs...any other ideas? We are desperate!

My son took over my 2009 CX-9 after I bought a 2016 CX-5. In the past two months, he has been unable to lock the driver's side door without the alarm randomly sounding. It is annoying us, and our neighbors, to no end. We would love to be able to lock his car at night, but haven't been able to. There are no other electronic issues at all. We don't want to fix the alarm, we just want to disconnect/disable it. Is this possible without having to take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money for this? We tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that did nothing to stop it from happening. We have changed batteries in the key fobs...any other ideas? We are desperate!
Is it factory alarm or aftermarket?

Thank you. I did look at the hood latch today and cleaned it up and it seemed to be okay, so I just disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and reconnected. I just locked the door and hoping no alarm goes off! Just trying to avoid having to take it to the dealership! (Having neighbors walk by and seeing a woman working on a car may have just gotten me some street cred in the neighborhood too! HA!)

My car kept having ignition problems so I took it to my friend who's a mechanic. The 1st thing he did is check the alarm (factory alarm from when the car was new). Sure enough it was faulty, so he ripped it out which took care of my problem. I tripped when I saw the alarm though...it said Viper all over it.

He told me that even factory alarms are usually a dealer installed aftermarket deal.

I'd bring it to an independent mechanic. He'll probably charge you about 50 bucks to take that thing out. I'll bet you'll be amazed at how much wiring and...all around crap that's included in a car alarm. They're pretty complicated.

Last edited:
Thank you! I will call my mechanic. I just had to run out and turn the freaking alarm off. Disconnecting the battery did not work. Ugh!

I have been dealing with the same issue for a couple of years now. Taking it to the dealer resulted in nothing. Has anyone been able to fix this issue?

LifeisaCabernet: I take you had your alarm removed by an independent mechanic. Did removing it impact any other aspect of your vehicle after it was removed?

I just bought my new 2019 CX-5 in August and in the last few weeks my alarm goes off for no reason. Usually it's almost immediately after walking away from it just after it's automatically locked. One time it did happen in the middle of the night in an enclosed garage with nothing moving, which scared the you know what out of us dead asleep in the house. How do we fix this?!?!?

My 2010 mazda 3 had the same alarm going off on its own issue. Turns out it was either a malfunction in the keyfob or due to the battery in the keyfob dying. The battery in the keyfob is dead now, i haven’t replaced it yet but the alarm has ‘t gone off on its own since.

Back