Thread: Alarm randomly going off

Registered Member

2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT

Alarm randomly going off

My son took over my 2009 CX-9 after I bought a 2016 CX-5. In the past two months, he has been unable to lock the driver's side door without the alarm randomly sounding. It is annoying us, and our neighbors, to no end. We would love to be able to lock his car at night, but haven't been able to. There are no other electronic issues at all. We don't want to fix the alarm, we just want to disconnect/disable it. Is this possible without having to take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money for this? We tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that did nothing to stop it from happening. We have changed batteries in the key fobs...any other ideas? We are desperate!

Registered Member

MAZDA CX-9 GS

Quote Originally Posted by LifeisaCabernet View Post
    My son took over my 2009 CX-9 after I bought a 2016 CX-5. In the past two months, he has been unable to lock the driver's side door without the alarm randomly sounding. It is annoying us, and our neighbors, to no end. We would love to be able to lock his car at night, but haven't been able to. There are no other electronic issues at all. We don't want to fix the alarm, we just want to disconnect/disable it. Is this possible without having to take it to a dealer and pay a lot of money for this? We tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, but that did nothing to stop it from happening. We have changed batteries in the key fobs...any other ideas? We are desperate!
    Is it factory alarm or aftermarket?

Registered Member

2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT

Factory.

Registered Member

MAZDA CX-9 GS

Quote Originally Posted by LifeisaCabernet View Post
    Factory.
    Check your hood properly closes. Sometimes it does happen that there is a bit of misalignment and that can trigger the alarm. If not this then probably electrical issue.

Registered Member

2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT

Thank you. I did look at the hood latch today and cleaned it up and it seemed to be okay, so I just disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and reconnected. I just locked the door and hoping no alarm goes off! Just trying to avoid having to take it to the dealership! (Having neighbors walk by and seeing a woman working on a car may have just gotten me some street cred in the neighborhood too! HA!)

Donated: $20

Mazda

My car kept having ignition problems so I took it to my friend who's a mechanic. The 1st thing he did is check the alarm (factory alarm from when the car was new). Sure enough it was faulty, so he ripped it out which took care of my problem. I tripped when I saw the alarm though...it said Viper all over it.

He told me that even factory alarms are usually a dealer installed aftermarket deal.

I'd bring it to an independent mechanic. He'll probably charge you about 50 bucks to take that thing out. I'll bet you'll be amazed at how much wiring and...all around crap that's included in a car alarm. They're pretty complicated.
    Last edited by Natey; 08-31-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Registered Member

2009 Mazda Cx-9 GT

Thank you! I will call my mechanic. I just had to run out and turn the freaking alarm off. Disconnecting the battery did not work. Ugh!